Anyone who has had an episiotomy...??!!

Wewantourmush

Mummy to Ruben x
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I gave birth a week ago to my little man and had an episiotomy. I know they are painful as it is but my stitches have come apart and it's absolute AGONY. I can hardly mobilise and my poor OH has to do practically everything. Basically I had a peek....bad idea!! There is a massive hole!! a big gaping wound I was nearly sick!

I have seen 2 health visitors, a midwife, a consultant and a doctor and they all said it will heal in time and I don't need it re suturing but I am so worried. I am on antibiotics and pain relief but I still don't think it's 'right'. Has anyone else had this problem and all was ok???? :shock:

Oh my :( I did not have complications from it so I don't know what to say. I'm sorry it's so painful!

I had one and had pain for about 4 weeks probably, you just have to take it easy! I found if I walked around for more than 30 minutes I felt like my insides were going to fall out!

I had the same as you with my second daughter 8 weeks ago (I tore along where I had an episomity with my first daughter 2 years ago).

The stitches disolved and I had a hole too - I wasn't given pain relief just took lots of ibuphrfen and was told like you it would heal naturally (I was signed off MW care abit later).

It has healed ok, but the pain got alot better at around 6 weeks - it still aches alittle
and is alittle swolen now but alot better than it was.

I take it you are still in MW care so ask them to keep eye on it and get signed off when you feel ready.

Lorraine x

Hi Hun, it does get better, I still won't look and LO is 3 months old today. DTD is still an issue, but I have been told it will get better. Good luck, I know it is horrible xx

I had one too, I couldn't do much either as it was agony, the pain went after about 3 weeks and now it's fine, apart from when we tried to dtd :haha:

I hope you feel better soon, I also got laxatives to help so as not to strain, sorry tmi xx

Mine burst and got infected, it's agony isn't it :hugs:
I got literally 30 second showers a few times a day to keep it clean, and dried it with a hairdryer as towels were much too sore.
I won't lie, it was sore for a long time, and still sometimes hurt at 6 months if I walked a lot or wore a thong. Only made that mistake once :lol:
For a long time there was a big hole even in the scar, but you just need to be immaculate hygiene wise, wear comfy underwear and definitely don't rush into sex or tampons!
I tried pushing to get restitched due to the ugly scar, but I'm over it now. It still hurts occasionally but not even a fraction of what it used to.
:hugs:

I had a small hole apparently, and was told I didn't need it restitched, it was very painful, it took about 4 weeks to heal, one minute I was thinking I was never going to be out of pain the next I suddenly realised I could walk around ok.

9 weeks on I haven't even looked down there, the whole thing makes me feel quesy, I'm very squeemish and I just can't bring myself to look, even though I'm all healed now.

I really feel for you, its such a horrible thing to go through, so painful and you feel like the pain wont go away. It will though I promise, all of a sudden you will feel alot better.

i did not have any complications from mine, so not a lot of advice sorry.
but what helped me most with the pain (sorry if its already been said)

soaking in the bath 15 mins, 3 times a day, using a squirt bottle of water when i peed, abd pain killers.

hope it heals up fir you soon :hugs:

i had alot of pain from mine, my mw advised to have 2 baths a day into which i had to put tea tree oil in. i mixed it with some milk which acted like a carrier. it really helped within a week the pain really eased :thumbup:

I had an episiotomy to help the ventouse, and I was in agony, for the first 2/3 weeks I couldn't sit on a chair or sit quickly/stand, my mw said I was making it worse by wearing regular pads because they have a plastic sheet on top that rubs and chafes, I switched back to big maternity pads and it really helped :flower:

I never had a look down there! ( too chicken, ignorance was better for me) but mw did several times and it was all well, all I can suggest is drink loads, wear maternity pads

this site has lots of really good advice :flower:

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/labour/episiotomy/#8

I had the exact same problem :(. I really feel for you! I was in agony with mine. I was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. I think it took about 3 months for me to heal completely (and another course of antibiotics - I got infected again!)
I'm all back to normal now though. It took time - but all is ok now!
I hope you're better soon.
xx

poor you x i had epis with 1st, but 4th time around, i just tore nice huh lol but instead of stitches i was asked if i wanted stitches?? lol no fuc, that lol so iv'e actually healed all alone and is fine now :) it does hurt tho :( i rem having to be cut with 1st and i was in agony for a while :( just keep an eye on it babe but it should get better sn.
plenty of salty baths and get some arnica tablets x

I didnt have any burst stitches, so i cant help much... BUT there are some ladies who dont get their epis or tears stitched, and while it takes longer to heal it DOES heal.

:hugs: Keep bathing it, lavender and milk baths, arnica, combine ibuprofen with paracetamol etc... i hope it starts to ease off soon. If you're worried though see the doctor again... dont sit in pain for months xxxx

I had the same and I'm not gonna lie - it took about 3 months to be able to walk any distance and it not throb or get random shooting pains:hugs:

mine split and got infected twice, make sure you get antibiotics if you need them.

the biggest piece of advise that will help is to keep it clean of couse but more importantly DRY.

i did use the hairdryer but because it was weeping 'stuff' it ws still sticky which was agony and made the whole area chaffed:nope:

the best thing is to literally wear nighties/skirts, cotton knickers and maternity pads if necessary. When i say necessary I mean if you are still bleeding a lot, ideally just wear nothing - i promise it will all make a difference.

I still look different and it can still hurt occasionally but it does get better - promise:hugs:

Mine was sore up to about 7/8 weeks . I did look at it quite a bit and it did go from gaping and red to healed. Just use tea tree in your bath, sleep with no bottoms on & dry with cold setting on hair dryer after getting it wet. Take care x

I had one and also was in pain for about 10 weeks....agony about 5. It was horrible mine split right at the front again and it was still bleeding until around 7 weeks. HV and doc said it would heal its self and it did just took time.

If like me you dont have time to get a bath a few times a day use the shower a lot....everytime i needed to go to the toilet i would just take bottom half of clothes off and spray with the shower and pat dry never rub! Done this about 10 times a day i think.

I did look every week and did notice that the rest was healing good just the part that had spilt took and extra couple weeks i think. (wish i didnt look, first time i scared myself i was so swollen and black and blue all around it, then each week even tho was in agony made me feel a bit better when it wasnt looking as bad!)
Just try and take it as easy as you can, i didnt well couldnt as noone to helo me with LO...OH was useless at the time! and keep it clean x

Thank you all so much for the advice. I feel reassured that it will heal as so many of you have had the same happen. I just don't see how at this moment in time how it can but I know it will in time. It's just awful like something out of a horror film! Xxx

Thank you all so much for the advice. I feel reassured that it will heal as so many of you have had the same happen. I just don't see how at this moment in time how it can but I know it will in time. It's just awful like something out of a horror film! Xxx

sorry tmi alert - but where mine split i was left with a strip of skin/flesh about an inch that was bleeding and raw. Everytime the midwife or doc looked at it they said oh don't worry it'll all knit together. And i felt like punching them on the nose lol:haha:. I just couldn't actually believe it - but as i said earlier, its not the same but it actually did all knit together:hugs:

I forgot to say, have salt baths and dry your 'bits' with a hair dryer!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"