Anyone who's given up work?

bubblychick

Mum of G & M
Reaction score
How did you decide to do it? Was it a struggle financially?

I'm contemplating quitting my job. I only work 7 hours a week (split over 2 days) and 5 and a half hours every other Sunday so it's not really worth me working.

I'm just worried about the financial impact, I bring in 180 a month which isn't much but it's something. Lately though I've been finding it harder and harder to get anything worthwhile from my job, I hate leaving the kids with people, usually OHs mum or sister, my mum on weekends.

Me and OH don't have an amazing income combined and an abysmal one if I give up work but I feel like I don't have a choice anymore it's costing me to get the kids to whoever is watching them for the few hours I do work and often I'm rushing and am late or exhausted when I get to work.

I don't work anymore. Combination of lack of childcare and affording childcare and my not actually being able to find work in the first place lol. We claim what we can and the 3 of them get more cb than i could potentially earn so for the time being i work hard to make our money go as far as i can and we manage. Good luck xx

I'm torn on the one hand I love the people I work with but I hate expecting people to watch the kids when they have their own lives going on. I've been working there for 6 years so they are very accomadating with hours that suit me etc they've been very good about not giving me much overtime as not affect my tax credits (which is my main source of income). This job was never a lifetime career only a way of working whilst I was in uni

I'm torn on the one hand I love the people I work with but I hate expecting people to watch the kids when they have their own lives going on. I've been working there for 6 years so they are very accomadating with hours that suit me etc they've been very good about not giving me much overtime as not affect my tax credits (which is my main source of income). This job was never a lifetime career only a way of working whilst I was in uni

Ho old are your LOs? Is there any way you could get a regular 'childminder' i.e. get regular hours for OH to watch them, or your Mum, so everyone can make plans accordingly.

When I only had 2 I desperately wanted to work, and could have made it work with a bit of a stretch....it also helps that my eldest gets his 15 free hours. How long until you get them?

However, if none of you are 'gaining' anything from you working, then there's no real point to it. Could you discuss a zero-hours contract maybe? Or ask about dropping to just 1 day per week, maybe with more hours together? I would try making it work before giving up as it's always easier to get work when you already have it. Obviously if they've already made concessions then they may be loathe to change again, however they may also be keen to keep you so offering some alternatives may help them too.

3 and almost 1 DD has her 15 hours but 3 hours a day over 5 days and OH does 6 days in consisting of 3 5-10am shifts and 3 12-8 shifts then has 3 days off so his days change every week so I can't work out a set childcare schedule. I work set days Tuesday and Friday 4:30-8 and every other Sunday 11-4:30 I've already had to drop a lot of overtime cause of childcare issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->