Anyone with an DSLR camera?

J

Jade--x

If you take your DSLR on holiday abroad how do you do it? Do you take it in your hand luggage? With it being so heavy and needing to take baby essentials as they don't allow us to take a changing bag it takes us over our hand luggage allowance..But I don't want to put it in the hold incase it gets broke :dohh: Just wondered what other people do when they take theirs?

When I went on the plane with mine I was only allowed ONE carryon for everything that fit under the seat. ($40 to check a bag.) I used a bookbag (flight bag actually, but looks like a bookbag). I put my laptop in the back section. It has a section for a headseat in the bottom of the back (since it's actually a flight bag), so I put all my cords and charges in there. I put clothes and took my camera out of the camera bag and packed it in the front kind of on top of and then in between some clothes. I even had room to stuff my purse in the back with my laptop (as that would have counted as my one). You can get backpack DSLR bags too that you could probably stuff whatever you need for LO around.

Usually I keep it in my bag, as you're usually only allowed one carry on Nat takes one bag with the kids stuff and I take another bag with a camera, laptop, ipods etc. or vice versa. We did put it in the hold once or twice, but in a case and then padded by lots of clothes.

We only get 5kgs carry on and we're going to be over it with the camera and we paid extra to have 20kgs hold luggage which I'm already over and need to take some stuff out :blush: think I might just put it in my hand luggage and pray they don't weigh it!x

Well we've gotten away with it once the bag fits. They weighed it once and brought us up on it, but it was only a little over and they let us off.

Well we've gotten away with it once the bag fits. They weighed it once and brought us up on it, but it was only a little over and they let us off.

I'll just chance it and hope they don't. Last time they didn't weigh them there or back because we were wayyyy over coming back :dohh: so we were lucky they didn't really but people have said they're become more strict on it.
Congratulations on baby by the way! Totally gorgeous!! :cloud9: x

Where are you going away?

Could you just not take some of the baby essentials? (depends what you deem as essential haha) as iv never used a changing bag, i would have been more inclined to only take one or 2 nappies and a pack of wipes and buy the rest when i got there :)

Could you just not take some of the baby essentials? (depends what you deem as essential haha) as iv never used a changing bag, i would have been more inclined to only take one or 2 nappies and a pack of wipes and buy the rest when i got there :)

We're going to Turkey and for LO we're taking bottles of water and some small tubes of formula powder a few nappies and wipes and spare clothes (PJ's as we have a night flight) and then something to entertain them both - Books and a colouring book.x

We're going to Turkey and for LO we're taking bottles of water and some small tubes of formula powder a few nappies and wipes and spare clothes (PJ's as we have a night flight) and then something to entertain them both - Books and a colouring book.x
Will they allow the water? I don't think they will here you would have to buy it past security. I know they allow breast milk though.

Yeah they will as they'll be in a babies bottle but we have to drink them at security to prove it's nothing it shouldn't be. They only allow it if its a baby or toddler though x

Fingers crossed they don't weigh! I asked OH's brother Aary, he has done a lot of flying recently and he said he has been weighed only twice, out of about 20 flights in the past 4 months. And thank you, hopefully he has inherited his daddies looks, not mine x

Fingers crossed they don't weigh! I asked OH's brother Aary, he has done a lot of flying recently and he said he has been weighed only twice, out of about 20 flights in the past 4 months. And thank you, hopefully he has inherited his daddies looks, not mine x

Yeah they didn't us last time but it's Murphys Law they probably will :dohh: haha will the notice if I hide it under the pushchair do you think :blush: :haha: x

Yeah they didn't us last time but it's Murphys Law they probably will :dohh: haha will the notice if I hide it under the pushchair do you think :blush: :haha: x

No they wont notice at all... If they say anything say "No, you're seeing things, should've gone to specsavers" haha. Very good plan xx

No they wont notice at all... If they say anything say "No, you're seeing things, should've gone to specsavers" haha. Very good plan xx

Hahaha they'll think they're going crazy! :rofl: Last time we stuffed loads of nappies in the shopping basket bit as they weigh alot and they're really expensive to buy out there so we took like 2 packs and put as many as we could under the pushchair and lay it down :blush: They were packed tight and didn't fall out when it was folded so was a good idea :haha: saved up loads of weight in the suitcases. And we have 2 pushchairs this year :haha: I'm not sure why it makes a difference though you can go through duty free and buy loads of stuff that they don't weigh before getting on the plane :dohh: xx

Clever! Very clever! I'm going to have to fly to the UK from Australia very soon with 3 kids under 4... going to be challenging and god knows how many bags we'll have! At least we already have some stuff over in the UK, we wont have to bring too much... well we still usually have to sit on the bags to make them close and we're forever re-packing them and weighing them! We'll probably have 4 suitcases going over, 5 coming back! Depends how long we stay. I'm desperate altogether! Ha x

Oh god I thought I had it bad with a 13 month and 3 year old! How many adults are you travelling with just you and OH? I'd love to go to Australia we were on about holidaying over there but its the kind of place you can't just go for 2 weeks you have to do at least a month with it being so far away and so gorgeous so would take a few years of saving up lol x

Oh god I thought I had it bad with a 13 month and 3 year old! How many adults are you travelling with just you and OH? I'd love to go to Australia we were on about holidaying over there but its the kind of place you can't just go for 2 weeks you have to do at least a month with it being so far away and so gorgeous so would take a few years of saving up lol x

Not much difference between 2 kids and 3! Still pretty tough! At least the twins are pretty good anyways. We plan on going to the UK in roughly 6 weeks as I need to go and see my grandmother as she's ill. Just my OH will be with me and the boys. You should definitely come to Australia, it's amazing here. I saved for 2 years to go to Australia for 2 months. Best holiday ever, not only did I get so see all these amazing things, I also met my OH. And it's somewhere you need to travel around. You will never be bored in Australia. All the nature, it's breathtaking! And the beaches are just fab, I love Bondi but it can be kind of dangerous, it's super busy and the kids can get lost easily though. We go to Bells Beach quite often, but the best I think is Jan Juc! And the zoo of course, and there are beautiful gardens.. and I could go on and on! We always go away for a few nights every month or two. The kids love it. Our twins are probably some of the most traveled 3 year olds ever! lol.

Not much difference between 2 kids and 3! Still pretty tough! At least the twins are pretty good anyways. We plan on going to the UK in roughly 6 weeks as I need to go and see my grandmother as she's ill. Just my OH will be with me and the boys. You should definitely come to Australia, it's amazing here. I saved for 2 years to go to Australia for 2 months. Best holiday ever, not only did I get so see all these amazing things, I also met my OH. And it's somewhere you need to travel around. You will never be bored in Australia. All the nature, it's breathtaking! And the beaches are just fab, I love Bondi but it can be kind of dangerous, it's super busy and the kids can get lost easily though. We go to Bells Beach quite often, but the best I think is Jan Juc! And the zoo of course, and there are beautiful gardens.. and I could go on and on! We always go away for a few nights every month or two. The kids love it. Our twins are probably some of the most traveled 3 year olds ever! lol.

Oh my gosh you've made me want to come even more now! It's something I've always wanted to do a friend of mine went for their gap year there and loved it and my mum has friends that emigrated out there who are always telling my Mum how amazing it is and posting pics of what they see every single day and I get sooo jealous! I'll definitely be holidaying there soon but maybe when the boys are a little older and I've had time to save and they'll appreciate it a little more too x

Oh my gosh you've made me want to come even more now! It's something I've always wanted to do a friend of mine went for their gap year there and loved it and my mum has friends that emigrated out there who are always telling my Mum how amazing it is and posting pics of what they see every single day and I get sooo jealous! I'll definitely be holidaying there soon but maybe when the boys are a little older and I've had time to save and they'll appreciate it a little more too x

Yes, it's better when they can appreciate it. Our boys are very appreciative.. well for 3 year olds anyway, they have a great understanding of the value of money and mommy and daddy's time, but I know they wont remember most of the trips we've had over the past 3 years. But hopefully, we can continue to travel and create memories. Our kids remember bits and pieces of trips we took last year. Bodhi said just the other day "Remember when Tyler, Lilah and Mason from New York did..." and he was only 2 years and 10 months on that trip. Will he still remember New York in 10 years time, probably not though.

Aww bless him! Tyler remembers things from our holidays last year and remembers little bits from Turkey last time but only when looking at pics as he was only 19 months old and I think it's more he remembers what he's been told about it than actually remembering it. He can pick the hotels we've been to out of the brochures though and the one we're going to this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->