Anyone with hearing loss?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Im boardline deaf, for the most part and in the majoirty of situations no one would ever know.

But in meetings or classes etc i really struggle. I have a hearing aid but it makes all noise too much and its just horrible.

Anyone else have hearing loss?

Anyone tried the fancy digi hearing aids?

I have Meniere's and my hearing loss fluctuates. I have yet to get hearing aids but I do need them, I keep putting it off. I can't tell you how many embarrassing situations I have been in because I couldn't hear what had been said but I get tired of telling people I can't hear them, they speak up for a bit and then just go back to speaking at the volume they had been before.

How long have you had hearing aids?

Ive had them a few years, but prob only worn them 4 times in total. lol! vanity is my problem, i dont want people to see them, how terrible am i?

There are some situations i just cant hear things at all, like meetings, and some people i cant hear. Some people just cant speak clearly can they?

I tempted to get those in the ear invisable ones, but i have no idea if they just amplify everything like a hearing aid does. The one i have is digital but its a behind the ear thing, and it makes everything louder which really isnt helpful because i still picks up all the background noise, which i can hear fine, its more voices i need to be made louder.

I understand, I can be quite vain myself at times.

Oh yes, I have found quite a lot of people cannot speak clearly. I especially hate meeting and group situations too. Don't you just hate it when someone is talking and then they look to you for an answer or to pick up on the discussion and you don't know what they asked or are talking about? Like last Wednesday I was in young adult bible study class, since we had a new teacher I asked him on multiple occasions in the beginning to speak up because I couldn't hear him. Then he'd talk and ask me a question and I'd have to tell him that I didn't hear him. I don't know about you, but it sure makes me feel stupid!

The amplification of background noises is definately a con on the list, because like you, I can usually hear that just fine. There are a lot of days that no matter how clearly someone is speaking, all I hear is muffled sounds, ringing, and/or echos and a hearing aid would not be able to help that, it would only make it worse.

I've read that the invisible ones are supposed to allow the hearing to be more natural so based on that I would expect it not to just be amplified sounds but you never know.

I was born without an ear drum in my left ear so I know how life is. I find I have to keep turning my head to direct people to the right ear when I'm in loud places because people seem adamant to try talking to my left ear. Grrr.

Anyway, I can't help you with which hearing aid is a decent one because I've found they don't work for me but I thought I would pitch in one idea. Do you wear glasses? I only ask because there is such a thing as a hearing aid that's attached to glasses. You can't really notice it because it's built into the part that rests on the ear and it might be an option if you're worried about how they look.

Here is a website that shows the kind of thing I mean Spectacle Hearing Aids

I understand, I can be quite vain myself at times.

Oh yes, I have found quite a lot of people cannot speak clearly. I especially hate meeting and group situations too. Don't you just hate it when someone is talking and then they look to you for an answer or to pick up on the discussion and you don't know what they asked or are talking about? Like last Wednesday I was in young adult bible study class, since we had a new teacher I asked him on multiple occasions in the beginning to speak up because I couldn't hear him. Then he'd talk and ask me a question and I'd have to tell him that I didn't hear him. I don't know about you, but it sure makes me feel stupid!

The amplification of background noises is definately a con on the list, because like you, I can usually hear that just fine. There are a lot of days that no matter how clearly someone is speaking, all I hear is muffled sounds, ringing, and/or echos and a hearing aid would not be able to help that, it would only make it worse.

I've read that the invisible ones are supposed to allow the hearing to be more natural so based on that I would expect it not to just be amplified sounds but you never know.

I go to church also and thats where i find the situation worse, like you say someone will ask you something and you have no idea what they said, or someone will ask a question which i will just about hear and then a few people will give answers and then they ask me and i dont want to say something someone else would said. Like on sunday they were asking the names of the 2 sons of isreal, and asked me and i was like ummmm, cos i didnt know what anyone else had said, feel terrible cos everyone would being thinking i can even name one! lol!

I was born without an ear drum in my left ear so I know how life is. I find I have to keep turning my head to direct people to the right ear when I'm in loud places because people seem adamant to try talking to my left ear. Grrr.

Anyway, I can't help you with which hearing aid is a decent one because I've found they don't work for me but I thought I would pitch in one idea. Do you wear glasses? I only ask because there is such a thing as a hearing aid that's attached to glasses. You can't really notice it because it's built into the part that rests on the ear and it might be an option if you're worried about how they look.

Here is a website that shows the kind of thing I mean Spectacle Hearing Aids

Thanks, ive seen some like that, but no i dont wear glasses, well i wear contact lenses but only contacts (not so much a vanity thing in that case, more just because i dont like glasses, like seeing the rims or getting wet in the rain, contacts i put in and forget about until night).

Hi there- I am not deaf or borderline but do suffer tinnitus - different story really! But I worked in a opticians that did hearing too, and we used to stock some really funky hearing aids - alot of younger people would choose them over the nhs ones. Here is a link to the picture - they come in a rainbow of colours and are so comfortable. We had to try them on, so we could experince them, and they are well hidden if hair is down, and even if it isn't, they look good! Here is a link: https://www.leightonshearingcare.co.uk/digital-hearing-aids/oticon-hearing-aids

I don't work for them anymore, but just thought I'd throw this one in there :)

Hey. I wear 2 hearing aids! But they're quite small so no one notices them usually anyway (they're also very pink, so not sure how you could miss them?!). Anyway, mine automatically adjust according to noise level in the room, and there's a button for the T-Loop (or the hearing aid loop, whatever you want to call it). I as born with a degree of hearing loss that has got worse as I've got older. I once had an MRI scan which came back normal so they put it down to very small ears and genetics. I struggle when I'm in a VERY noisy place though - though I can lip read.
Just out of interest does your church have a t-loop? If not, you might want to ask someone about putting one in. It might help you.
Can you lip read? What about signing? You should also approach your local council - there's a section of "Adult Care Services" that help specifically with things like this. They can often give you (FREE!) devices to help you at home, and some for out and about. There are other's they'll recommend which you can buy but they should help with the cost.

I'm not sure how well you can see the hearing aid in the pictures?

Attachments

• 16082011552.jpg
    16082011552.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 23092011755.jpg
    23092011755.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF3212.jpg
    DSCF3212.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
thanks, they sound like they work much better than the one i have. I def need to try something else.

It does have a loop system, but is only used when they use microphone (guessing thats how it works) but lots of the time, like sunday school, they dont use it and thats when i struggle.

You can hardly notice yours, only noticed as i was looking for them. very good.

are all hearing aids digital these days? I thought they no longer make analog. You can try a FM or loop for meetings and such

If it make too much noise, it is either not the right hearing aid for you, the earmold need to be refitted (the ear NEVER stop growing) or you have too much moisture.

I have a profound hearing loss since birth but I wore a powerful hearing aids all my life (Phonic ear/superfront phonak/etc.) I have a cochlear implant too.

yes digital is good, I read they are better these days. I was not fond of the first digital they came out (too much filtration)

thanks, they sound like they work much better than the one i have. I def need to try something else.

It does have a loop system, but is only used when they use microphone (guessing thats how it works) but lots of the time, like sunday school, they dont use it and thats when i struggle.

you have to keep reminding them. Of course, I never really bother, I just put piece of puzzles together to know what's they are talking about. I find meetings really boring and pointless and rather learn from one in one.

Ive had them a few years, but prob only worn them 4 times in total. lol! vanity is my problem, i dont want people to see them, how terrible am i?

There are some situations i just cant hear things at all, like meetings, and some people i cant hear. Some people just cant speak clearly can they?

I tempted to get those in the ear invisable ones, but i have no idea if they just amplify everything like a hearing aid does. The one i have is digital but its a behind the ear thing, and it makes everything louder which really isnt helpful because i still picks up all the background noise, which i can hear fine, its more voices i need to be made louder.

I can't even hear anything without my hearing aids. Nada, nothing. if a dog bark next to me, I can hear slightly but it is very, very muffled and whisper-like barking.

thanks hun, yep mine is digital but still doesnt help much!

Im sure its just my brain not working properly rather than my ears lol! even sometimes with the TV loudest i struggle and then the adverts some on and its mega loud!!! I hate going to someones elses to watch TV as no one puts it loud enough, my in-laws insist on turning it down even though my OH tells them i cant hear it.

For the most part im fine, i can function without them and no one would know, but meeting or certain people are impossible, and as i say my TV is mega loud too lol!

you could have recruitment (sp?) but if you wear it on and off, it is hard to adapt to it. I know from experience with both hearing aids and cochlear implant... but sometimes the audiologist need to tune it for you too.

Mine used to be a lot bigger - and also pink! But according to the hospital there are the "newer" versions. I actually prefer the old ones but they don't provide those on the NHS anymore :cry:

Eternal could you also be having problems with them because you don't wear them much?? I know if I don't wear mine (like when I'm in the shower or asleep) when I next wear them they sound funny until I get used to them again. Could possibly be that? Maybe try wearing them for a couple of weeks and see what happens

thanks hun, yep mine is digital but still doesnt help much!

Im sure its just my brain not working properly rather than my ears lol! even sometimes with the TV loudest i struggle and then the adverts some on and its mega loud!!! I hate going to someones elses to watch TV as no one puts it loud enough, my in-laws insist on turning it down even though my OH tells them i cant hear it.

For the most part im fine, i can function without them and no one would know, but meeting or certain people are impossible, and as i say my TV is mega loud too lol!

btw, Did you know that tv shows have closed captioning? I don't know the law in UK but closed captioning is the law here in the U.S.

Eternal could you also be having problems with them because you don't wear them much?? I know if I don't wear mine (like when I'm in the shower or asleep) when I next wear them they sound funny until I get used to them again. Could possibly be that? Maybe try wearing them for a couple of weeks and see what happens

it could just be that, i maybe need to try wearing them properly!

Thanks ladies for all your advice and support x

Just to let you know, I never could get used to noisy background, it's one of those thing most people who are hearing aid users or sometimes even cochlear implant users (some kids with CI need FM in the classroom for that reason) have to deal with.

Also, I tell people not to shout, it does not help, plus my hearing aids does the shouting (it is set to the maximum level it can go) so they don't have to. If they feel they need to shout, then I need to upgrade my hearing aid BUT even with the most powerful hearing aids on the market doesn't mean I can pick up every sounds in the SPEECH BANANA (powerful hearing aids only brought me up to near moderate hearing decibel level and cochlear brought me up to near mild hearing decibel level) so that's why I need people to look at me and speak clearer (no mumbling and no shouting) .Lipreading and hearing aid/Cochlear Implant go hand in hand for me. Without one of each, I can NOT understand spoken language at all. That is, I can NOT read lips unless I have some sort of sound assisting me.. rather those sounds is distorted or not. And I can NOT understand the sounds that I hear (most sounds distorted to me, I can not always distinguish the differences) without lipreading to assist me.

So if you have trouble understanding people, you will have to ask them to speak clearer, not shout and you probably have lost some more hearing but do let your audiologist know that you are picking up too much background noise, he can adjust the background filter for you. I have to warn you that when people start shouting, your hearing aid sometime thinks that's a background noise and will start filtering it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->