Anyone with OH on Epilim (Sodium Valproate) Meds

pinkflamingo

Mummy to an angel x
Reaction score
Just posted this in LTTC and thought I may as well post here incase it helps anyone.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some info that would have been good for us to have known quite a while ago!

Hubby was diagnosed with epilepsy 3 years ago and was placed on Epilim as a medication to control his seizures. The following year we got married and started ttc. After a while of nothing happening I started looking online for any info related to his meds and male fertility. I found some reports that suggested links to deformed sperm etc but there was nothing 'official'. Each time we went to the neurologist i would mention the things I had read and they said that there were no known medical reports and so there was not much they could tell me.

We then got referred to a fertility dr as things were still not progressing. DH had a sperm test and the results were terrible. I was gutted. He then went through a few months of having seizures due to being unwell, stress at work etc etc. The dr decided to change his meds as they were clearly not working for him anymore. This change happened in September of last year and in November I got my first BFP!! Sadly it ended in miscarriage, but when we went back and saw the fertility dr in Jan, they wanted to retest the sperm and the results came back completely normal. The biggest differnence was in the morphology results. The only thing that had changed between the 2 tests was the meds that he was on at the time.

I have since found posts on the net from men who have had the exact same scenario, had a sperm test on Epilim with awful results, and then improved results once they changed meds.

Even though we are still getting over our miscarriage it makes me feel like we have wasted over a year ttc when it was meds that were fighting against us.

I just wanted to write this down as if anyone has OH on these meds then it may be an avenue that hasn't been discussed by your medics for the same reason we were given 'there are no official medical reports on this' and so they can't tell you much.

It feels like we are back at square one, but hopefully once we start trying again at least we have ruled out one thing that is against us.

Good luck all. xx

Wow

This doesn't apply to us but thanks for posting - if this information helps someone that's fantastic :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->