anyone with short umbilical cords?

SisterRose

mummy to 3 monkeys
Reaction score
I just gave birth to my 3rd baby on Tuesday. When he was born he couldn't reach to my breast and only made it to lay the lower part of my tummy as the cord was quite short! My 1st born was the same with a short cord but 2nd baby was fine as far as i know.
The midwife who delivered him surprised. How common is this? I remember googling it a few years back after dd1 was born and finding some articles on short cords indicating problems and increased cot death etc which scares me. I daren't google now!!

dd1 is now 4 and fine but finding myself worrying about this again now, would love to hear from more of you who had the same problem and outcomes

my second baby was born with a very short cord, i could barely hold her and requested it was cut straight away because i couldnt hold her on my chest. it was very uncomfortable pulling on me as i tried to hold her. i never read anything detrimental about it.

im about to have my third and have no idea if it is likely to happen again.

Thanks for replying, it's weird isn't it? I could feel tugging too and felt uncomfortable. The midwife did get the cord cut pretty quickly! I think it's because I actually googled for it as I was curious about how long a cord should be etc. Probably the same as anything though - if you google enough it always ends up bad news. :haha:

My DD had a short cord too but no one ever mentioned that it might cause or indicate problems. She's a happy healthy 2 year old now x

I had a c-section with my twins, so I didn't experience any issues with it, but my little girl's umbilical cord was only 9.5 inches long (24cm). I think the average is 20 inches (50cm). There were no problems, but she was breech, so I guess it could have made it more difficult for her to turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->