Anyone with young kids who wear contact lenses???

KandyKinz

Longtime Mama
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has young kids who are or have used contact lenses? My daughter is 5 and will be getting contact lenses shortly so I would appreciate to hear your experiences.

Thanks.

My son has to wear glasses and only now needs them for reading though he's 11, he refuses to wear them and I asked about contacts for him, I was told that maybe they'd consider lenses next year for him but he's too young now! I honestly thought these would be a better option.

Over here they won't let anyone under 12(or around that age I think) wear contacts. I think it had something to do with a young girl who had the reusable ones and didn't keep them clean properly and ended up losing her eyesight. As you can tell I have no idea about contact lenses and how they work :blush: but that's the general gist of it

The reason for my daughter to get them is to actually save her eye sight. She was born with a slight strabismus and ambloypia. Her right eye is perfectly fine so she won't be needing a contact for that one but her left is quite bad to the point where it can almost be classified as legally blind. She's been wearing glasses since she was two along with patching therapy and recently eye drops to temporary decrease the vision in her good eye but at yesterdays appointment the pediatric opthamologist suggested that it would be best to give contact lenses a try as they would be most likely to optimize her vision and thus help with her eye alignment which in turn should help her vision improve even more. They are also considering laser eye surgery but stated that they would prefer for her to be older (preferably at least 8) and then once we get her vision at it's best then they will do the strabismus surgery if needed. He also commented that the contact lenses have the potential to improve her vision to an extent that will make the strabismus surgery much easier and in some cases the increase in vision can help resolve the strabismus without the need of surgery....

When he suggested the contact lenses yesterday it came as quite the surprise... I had never known that they made contact lenses for children and I admit I am a little uneasy about getting them but if it will help I'll definitly give it a try. And apparently they even give babies with severe eye conditions contacts! Yesterday they said they would call with an appt date for a pediatric lense fitting and then we'll go from there...... Ofcourse since my daughter is only 5 I'll be the one to insert and remove and care for the lenses and I imagine I'll be doing so for years to come.

Dyl had to wear the glasses full time until he was 8 because they say that you can strengthen a childs eye up until that age. His glasses are really thick even though I pay the extra for the thinner light weight lenses, now he's refusing to wear them because he's at that funny age, I know he would wear lenses and tbh id prefer to have him wear the lenses rather than strain his eyes and have them get worse. So if it will help you lo go for it, though I don't know how you'll manage to put the lens in your lo's eye, I wear lenses myself and im still a kinda baby about putting my finger near my own eye lol

Good luck! I hope that the contacts help and that your daughter gets used to them soon. Also ot but I saw your ticker and I hope the rest of your pregancy goes smoothly and that your daughter is excited to be a big sister

Good luck! I hope that the contacts help and that your daughter gets used to them soon. Also ot but I saw your ticker and I hope the rest of your pregancy goes smoothly and that your daughter is excited to be a big sister

Thanks, she's super excited to be getting a baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->