Anyone work in care?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
I'm returning to work soon (job hunting now) and looking at evening/weekend work.

Looking at the jobs available there seems to be lots of 'care' jobs all of the time but I've no experience. Can anyone tell me what it's like, what are the expectations? I don't want to end up miserable but if the hours suit I may as well give it a go.

I did a little in care before going to uni to train as a nurse a few years ago. I think it all depends on where you work. I worked in EMI (elderly, mentally infirm - the residents mostly had dementia). At 18 years of age, with no experience, it scared the hell out of me. We were understaffed, in an inappropriate setting and I didn't really understand the residents' needs. It was horrible.

A friend works in another residential home, not EMI. It is in beautiful settings in the country. When she started there, it was good. The residents didn't need a lot, so they were well staffed. They had outings and nice activities taking place within the home for the residents. Now, though, it is not as nice there. The residents have become more needy, a number of them bed bound - they way she describes it, some of them really should be in a nursing home or an EMI unit. She sometimes does evening shifts, which involves giving out tea, medication, putting to bed, doing laundry, giving out suppers, cleaning and writing in the care plans. She also has to phone ambulances or the out of hours doctor if needed and phone families if there are any problems.

The other option is a nursing home - I have no experience of working in one of these. But, it means that you don't have to worry about medication, or if something happens, like a fall, then it would be up to the nurse to take charge.

Finally, there is home care. Some of my friends did this the first time I was at uni. They had a lot more flexibility in when they worked. Evenings would involved going to someone's house, making dinner for them and putting them to bed. Sometimes, you would be on your own, other times, you would meet someone else there, depending on the person's needs.

You are supposed to promote independence and maintain the person's dignity at all times. Even when I was working in a care home, completely inexperienced, I tried to do this, I would try and encourage the person to do what they could for themselves, but then the manager/senior would moan as it inevitably took longer than if I just went in and did it for them. I find that difficult. As a nurse on a busy acute unit, I would encourage people to be as independent as possible - we had one HCA who would be like 'no, this is not a rehab unit,' and I would refuse to let her do everything for the patient.

Some aspects I enjoyed, like being able to sit and chat in the afternoons to them, or get them doing little activities. My friend takes her dog in sometimes, and they love that. But then, there is the side where people will die or become ill or have to transfer to somewhere else. I also wasn't prepared for working in an EMI home. I thought they would be forgetful and that was it, but I really didn't understand the disease process. Yes, they were generally forgetful, but they could remember some things, their memory and abilities fluctuated, sometimes they would be aggressive and other times they could be difficult to reason with. Compared to the hospital, the home was poorly equipped, such as with manual handling equipment, and a lot of practises were out of date.

Have you considered looking at working within the NHS? www.jobs.nhs.uk and seeing if you can find HCA jobs there. If you did bank work (as and when needed basis) you would be able to pick and choose your shifts.

I feel a bit like I'm stalking you :blush:

I am just about to start a job in care with the elderly, no experience and certainly no qualifications, I have worked in a cinema for the past for years!

They didnt require any experience as they give you training on line and with clients, I have just got home from collecting my uniform and gloves and aprons and I am out tomorrow doing some shadowing shifts which I will do over the next 2 weeks as I work my notice

Hope thats of some help and reassurance to you :flower:

I have lots of experience but only with children and adults with disabilities so can't help with elderly.

At all times it is about what's best for that person. A good place will have tight care plans that will guide you. Also proper inductions and someone you can go to for support

Caite - thanks for the reply. I need things in my hometown. Nearest hospital is 15+ miles away so if I went for bank work the fuel cost would be 2 hours wages before I even started. Shame as that would suit me I think. Thanks for the detailed information....I'm not sure what I'd end up doing as there's lots of different ones (about 10 different jobs just at a glance but obviously I need to read them properly).

Lucasmum - good luck! :thumbup: I'd love to hear how you get on. I've done all sorts in the past ranging from tour guiding to call centres to receptionist in a leisure centre. I would like to do something with some worth to it though and the hours seem ok.

Thanks Bittersweet, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Hi :wave:

I work in care as a support worker, but I work with young people with mental health difficulties and learning disabilities so don't have experience with the elderly.

I like my job, its long hours, sometimes 24 hours at a time, but I hate the company I work for, we're always understaffed and rushed off our feet. If you can deal with pressure and stress well, you will be fine.

Its a very rewarding job, knowing that you make such a difference to these peoples lives, and.you do form quite a bond with the residents.

We go on lots of days out and try and involve them inlots of activities, we cook for them, and clean for them ect, we admister their. medication and in a lot of places you will deal with personal care xx

I did it for a while but due to childcare i had to stop. I had no experience but was given full training. I really enjoyed it tbh. Some of the clients you'll enjoy seeing more than others but it's fine. There were times i could have cried for these people so be prepared for that, seeing a woman younger than my mum with nothing left but her voice after a stroke was awful then there was another lady very similar situation but she was straving herself to death. You'll never deal with people like that on your own though. I really enjoyed to doing tea and dinner calls just ping them a microwave meal and chat for 20 mintues. That was really lovely. The best thing is to try it and see how you go.

I worked in the hospital for 2 years, was a home carer for 4 years & now a reablement carer.
i found the hospital too stressful as you have to be constantly busy but its nice to have others around you for support.
home care was really good! Just remember that you need to cover your ass all the time because their is noone with you to back you up if anything goes wrong! So double check med sheets against the medication, make sure you doccument everything and any concerns report straight back to the office. The wages aren't too bad but i was using a ridiculous amount of petrol & the petrol allowance wasn't covering most of it. Also its very stressful when you need to get to people & your running late which has a knock on effect for the rest of the shift.
home care is very flexible, but you need to make it clear from the beginning what you can & cant do in terms of work time. My manager was really good & i told her each week what i could work (she probably allowed me to do this as i worked full time at the same company before having LO).
if you go into home care make a note of all the miles you do so you can claim the mileage allowance from the tax man in April ;)

I've never worked in care but my mum has received home-care for about 3 years now as she has early onset alzheimers so i can give you a bit of an insight into expectations and duties if you choose to visit people at home as apposed to working in a care home. The care has varied from initially the ladies visiting a 15 minute call in the morning to make sure she was up, dressed, they gave her her medication and made her coffee and breakfast.. basically making sure she was okay and her day was off to a good start. Its now progressed to, well she has full time live in care from a private company now but the local authority still use the same company to provide the carer with regular breaks, so the lady now does a 5 hour 'sit in' 3 days a week where mum can require everything from changing, toileting, meals preparing and of course just companionship. As you can see there's a broad spectrum of duties they're required to do and i know they're on a tight schedule.. they need to be at the next clients house on time or that person could be stuck in bed waiting to be got up for the day or for a meal. My mum has a lovely relationship with her lady though and the carer says its very rewarding and she's dedicated to what she does for mum although her job can be sad at times especially looking after the elderly and infirm, not to mention challenging.. especially with dementia clients, although you recieve training you have to be confident to 'handle' these people. I definately dont think its something you could do unless you really want to and you can click with these people and it mean something to you but if you can you know youll make a massive difference to the person you're looking after and their families.. helping keep someone in their own home means everything.

I work with adults with learning disabilities, hate working with the elderly. Not the people but how institutionalised most homes are, prisoners have more say over their lives than the elderly do.

My bestie just left a job in home care after 2 years - in the end up she was signed off by the doctor beause of stress. She loved her job, but the company she worked for were awful! Understaffed, poor pay and their staff were expeccted to take double the work load because people kept quitting. Not trying to put you off, just another insight xx

Lozzy, I totally agree that a lot of homes for elderly people are very institutionalised. The residents had to be bathed on certain days didn't really get a choice in what they ate or where they ate it - they all had to go to the dining room even if they wanted their tea on their lap in the lounge. They didn't really go out - where I worked there wasn't a safe outdoor space for them (it was a locked environment as it was emi and I get that but a garden would have been nice) sometimes they would go out for a trip around the block or one man who had mental health issues (not dementia I think he was schizophrenic) had been in institutions all his life, on a weekend morning if it was quiet we could walk him to the local shop so he could buy a paper and his cigarettes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->