Anything they dont tell you about a c section?

My arms weren't strapped down, no vomiting shaking etc either... It probably depends on what anesthetic they use and hoe it reacts with your body.

What I did find was that when they said the scar would stop being numb/ sore in 3 months, this was an underestimate. I had pins and needles (not pain) for just under a year after. I was totally panicked that there was something wrong until I spoke with a bunch of others that had c-sectioned and had the same, but were still being told that no, the numbness and pins and needles would have gone at three months after...Like all births they can do differently.

I was freezing beyond cold during prep. Teeth chattering.. no amount of heated blankets helped.

Feeling them tugging and pulling baby out.. but no pain was strange

Did everyone need assistance with pads being changed? I'm such a private girly girl I may have to psyche myself up for that!

Not giving my own experiences here, but I have a close friend who had a C section a couple of months ago and she mentioned a couple of things that would be useful to know.

First of all, make sure to be careful with the incision afterwards, and to let them leave the stitches/staples in for the entire time they say. She had them removed around 12 hours earlier than she was supposed to, becuase she was at the hospital anyway, and her incision ended up opening up again. It wasn't dangerous, but it was very uncomfortable for her, and it meant that it took a LOT longer for it to heal (I last saw her 5 weeks after she gave birth, and her incision was still not healed because of that).

Other than that, the experience will be different for everyone. The most important thing is to try and be relaxed about it, and not stress out (as hard as that sounds). I'm in the middle of a hypnobirthing course at the moment, and our instructor mentioned a couple of previous students last week who had had C-sections, and that becuase they were able to be more relaxed about what was going on, they also recovered a LOT faster. They were in far less pain afterwards, and were surprised when they saw how much pain other recovering mums were in, even ones who had had their babies several days earlier than her.

In any case, good luck with the c-section, and fx that you have a good experience!

Did everyone need assistance with pads being changed? I'm such a private girly girl I may have to psyche myself up for that!

I was on magnesium sulfate for 24 hours after birth (makes you weak and groggy, the longer you are on it I swear the weaker you get) and they left the epidural in. Apparently sometimes they do a quick one time epidural injection, and sometimes they do the drip. It was how they managed my pain after the surgery.

My friend got a one time spinal block and then got morphine for the pain. She probably did not have to have nurses change her pad, but I did.

I knew I'd probably be having a c-section again and the FIRST thing I thought of was -

UGH! I have to take that nasty grape shot.

It's like this sour grape thing to calm the acid in your stomach. It tastes so gross - but I'm a baby when it comes to liquid medicines. LOL

Oh and high five to the PP mentioning how cold it was. It was FREEZING! If you're wanting to wait the 90 seconds before the cord is cut, make sure you talk to your doctor to see if you can. I'd imagine it's too cold for a baby, even wrapped in a blanket, to wait very long before going under a warmer.

I knew I'd probably be having a c-section again and the FIRST thing I thought of was -

UGH! I have to take that nasty grape shot.

It's like this sour grape thing to calm the acid in your stomach. It tastes so gross - but I'm a baby when it comes to liquid medicines. LOL

I totally forgot about that stuff! Oh so nasty. They gave me several things before going in actually, but everything else was in my IV. I don't remember exactly what it was. I think it was more anti-nausea or something? :shrug:

I had the op at 3:20pm and they didn't get me out of bed till the next morning. The nurse came and gave me a bed bath at about 4am and changed my pad, I am the most private person in the world and if I'd have known that the day before I would have freaked out but at the time I didn't care! They also changed it again right before standing me up for the first time at about 9am, this one did bother me a little more as it was day light and it just seamed a bit more intrusive I suppose but at the time you just know its gotta be done and go with it. It's nothing new to the nurses, they do it everyday :thumbup:

From what I remember.. i was suprised by the following (i had an emergency c section so i was not prepared)

How much you shake after the surgery
How the room spun after surgery and I could not appreciate looking at my son
How much you bled (the first time you stand up its not pretty)
How much my legs swelled up (i seriously had elephant legs for 2 weeks)
The bad constipation I got about a week after surgery

I didn't shake at all either time (had one with each baby), and the room didn't spin. I didn't bleed that much either with my daughter.

Yep! My legs swelled for a week or so afterwards.

I dont know if there is much risk of this with a planned section, but my friend had an EMCS and her epidural wasn't working enough so they put her to sleep.

My SIL had a planned (second) csection and said her OH wasn't allowed in the room until after she got the epidural and she was upset because she had been counting on having him there to hold onto while they put it in.

I've had 2 EMCS now both spinal blocks and painless. It is a
strange sensations knowing folk are lifting your legs etc but not feeling them. No shaking or sickness but a bit itchy after second one they gave me something for it but can't remember what.

Try drink lots of water and peppermint tea after helps soften the bowels and combat trapped wind particularly between your shoulders. If they offer you iron tablets TAKE THEM!! I had a bad side effect first time around so refused them
second time and OMG I was in agony for days really struggled getting up and moving!! I shall definitely be asking for an alternative this time lol xx

I dont know if there is much risk of this with a planned section, but my friend had an EMCS and her epidural wasn't working enough so they put her to sleep.

My SIL had a planned (second) csection and said her OH wasn't allowed in the room until after she got the epidural and she was upset because she had been counting on having him there to hold onto while they put it in.

This would be my main worry if I had to have a section. I couldn't bear the thought of OH not being allowed in their while I had the epidural.

With my son 4 years ago i had a elective c-section because he was breech too but was never given alot of notice. When the procedure was being carried out i was literally shaking because i went really cold (spinal block) and to me the surgery felt like rummaging through a handbag. Afterwards walk as soon as you can as it helps but try not to lift your legs instead slide your feet it will help your stomach to not overload but strengthen slowly, when you cough sneeze etc hold your stiches and what ever you do DONT LAUGH it hurts trust me lol. When going home have a maternity pad on your scar when put seatbelt around as its alot gentler and dont worry about being in non maternity clothes straight after i wasnt for the first month as maternity ones were alot better on my scar x

Gas pains! Horrible, horrible gas pains!

I also didn't expect the shoulder pain (I'm guessing it was where I kept all the tension and stress I had during the experience).

But don't let any of this scare you. It happens so fast and will be over before you know it.

Just make sure you get some help afterwards (I couldn't do laundry for about 3 weeks, or clean the house properly), and for the first week, I was so thankful DH was home to help me get in and out of bed - buy a step stool if you have a high bed!

Just make sure you get some help afterwards (I couldn't do laundry for about 3 weeks, or clean the house properly), and for the first week, I was so thankful DH was home to help me get in and out of bed - buy a step stool if you have a high bed!

I am so thankful to have such a helpful husband! I second the stool - I'm bringing it for the ride home as well, since we have a big SUV. And this sounds ridiculous, but I'm getting a hospital bed tray! LOL They're about $25-50 on Amazon.

This would be my main worry if I had to have a section. I couldn't bear the thought of OH not being allowed in their while I had the epidural.

Well, the epidural part was SUPER quick for me, I didn't mind DH not being there, it all went SO fast. They were all super professional and prepared. I said it couldn't have been more than 10 minutes, DH said probably not but it felt like forever from outside.

With my son 4 years ago i had a elective c-section because he was breech too but was never given alot of notice. When the procedure was being carried out i was literally shaking because i went really cold (spinal block) and to me the surgery felt like rummaging through a handbag. Afterwards walk as soon as you can as it helps but try not to lift your legs instead slide your feet it will help your stomach to not overload but strengthen slowly, when you cough sneeze etc hold your stiches and what ever you do DONT LAUGH it hurts trust me lol. When going home have a maternity pad on your scar when put seatbelt around as its alot gentler and dont worry about being in non maternity clothes straight after i wasnt for the first month as maternity ones were alot better on my scar x

Oh goodness don't cough if you can help it! I choked on some water.....UGH.

Oh yes! The gas pains and the gas was awful for at least two weeks for me. Really bad..but everyone is different.

Oh yes, wind!!!! How could I forget!!! Nobody warned me about that little side effect.
And I second the comment about not laughing, I laughed when watching hubby do the first nappy change because she wee'd everywhere, worst thing I ever did, I cried for about 30 minutes (well I started to cry but even that hurt too much lol)

Mine was smooth...scary but easy compared to other surgeries I have had (this was my 6th surgery, 1st c section). I didn't shake, or have any nausea....but I was on Mag Sulfite for pre e after and before, so my experience may not have been typical. I had a section in the middle of the night at 36 weeks due to the pre e and showing signs of seizing. I would say recovery was easy peasy...and once I was home, 3 days later, I felt fantastic. Like I said though, I had pre e and was miserable (in the hospital for 12 days before the section) before having LO, so this is not typical.

The spinal I had (a little different than an epidural) was FAST, didn't hurt at all, I did feel them touch me for a minute or two after it, but I felt NOTHING when they took her out. I had no idea she had been born till I heard a cry from across the room.

I was at a teaching hospital and there were students in the room...so I got a play by play about what was going on while cutting (ugh) but I asked them to stop talking about the details, and they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->