Apples (royal gala and granny smith) recalled in Canada due to listeria

misscyn

Reaction score
A friend sent me this link, I thought I'd share:

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-...ng/2015-01-07/eng/1420699143396/1420699156813

And it's sandwich meats they tell us to avoid... My last pregnancy I heard about a listeria related recall. It was also related to fruit! I'm not worried about sandwich meat this time around and with fruit, it's generally the pre-cut fruit which is generally flavorless anyway.

It doesn't look like this is about sliced apples though... That's odd...

So paranoid about eating anything these days. All you can do is wash your fruits and veg well under running water, even the ones you have to peel.

It's only certain brands. I called dominion and they said they didn't sell any apple brands that were on recall.

And it's sandwich meats they tell us to avoid... My last pregnancy I heard about a listeria related recall. It was also related to fruit! I'm not worried about sandwich meat this time around and with fruit, it's generally the pre-cut fruit which is generally flavorless anyway.

It doesn't look like this is about sliced apples though... That's odd...

I know that one of the deadliest recent outbreaks in the USA was with cantaloupe. What made it worse is that people don't usually wash cantaloupe before cutting it to eat. Anyway I also don't understand why they warn us so much about cold cuts and soft cheeses, when every outbreak I hear of seems to involve some other food. Plus almost all soft cheeses sold in Canada are pasturized. With my last pregnancy I avoided soft cheeses for nothing because I didn't know we were only supposed to avoid unpasturized cheese.

The cantaloup sounds familiar... And I was aware of the pasteurization thing. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to hard cheeses though. I also made sure, during my last pregnancy, to have my meat well done, but that's actually not necessary for meat that is fed the way it's supposed to be. For example, grass fed beef that is handled properly is safe to have when it is not well done. I buy my beef from a local grass fed farm and don't worry about it being well done. I also get my eggs from a local farm with pastured chickens. The warnings about meat, really are more about factory farmed and grain fed meats.

They were also sold in New Brunswick which is where I'm from. I crave apples every day and eat so much of them...luckily I didnt have any on recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->