Appointments and Scans

Dee_H

Mama to Rian + Bump
Reaction score
It seems to me that things are very different in Canada when it comes to appointments are scans. I am having my first appointment with my doctor today since I found out I was pregnant...I am almost 3 months along. I was told that I wouldn't get to have my first ultrasound until I am 18-20 weeks. I have been reading all your posts about getting scans really early...I am just curious why it is different here...or is it??

Hi,

I am based in Ireland - it really depends on what Gyni you are attending. My Gyni insists on first scans at 8 weeks and then again at 12 weeks.

In some countries they give you early scans and dating scans if they think you need it

I'm in Canada as well and the only scan they mentioned to me that I could have done earlier was at 12 weeks for the downs syndrome testing which my DH and I refused. So I guess we now wait until the 20 week mark. I'm 3 months along as well and haven't even seen an OB yet (just my regular doctor). Supposed to go to the OB next week.

My appointment I have today is with my family doc...She said she wouldn't be refering me to an OBS until 28 weeks!!?? Today we are going over blood work results and family history.

28 weeks?!? That seems a little long, maybe it's different in Ontario? My doctor referred me at 10 weeks to an OB, although the OB's office just got around to contacting me two days ago (they were on holiday). I did all of the blood work with my GP when I went in to see her at 4 weeks, she also did our history than, asked if we were going to do the downs syndrome testing, and set up an appointment for when I was 8 weeks along. At the 8 weeks appointment she did a physical and pap smear and told me that I should be hearing from the OB's office soon and would be going through them from here on.

Hey there,
I am in Ontario.
I had my first U/S at 12 weeks because we did the Integrated Prenatal Screening to test for Down's and neural tube deformities.
After that, they just did the regular anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks (I was 17 at the time actually).
No more scans after that second one though.

Oh and I dont' see the OB until 30 weeks or so.

Funny how it is different from place to place eh?? Not just different countries but even from province to province. I am in Nova Scotia.

Sounds like it is even different in different areas of Ontario, very strange!

Over here you have:

Your booking in appoinment (general health and family history & collect your notes to carry with you at all times in case of emergency) at around 10 weeks.

Some places, not all offer the 12 weeks nuchal scan, then there is 16 weeks check up, then the last scan at 20 weeks! You are seen every 4 weeks for urine tests, blood pressure and baby check until around 30 weeks when it is every 2 weeks, then at 36wks it is every week. That is my experience, and that is obviously with no complications - throw complications into it and that changes everything! x

Wow, they really seem to have great care where you are Tam.....ps- cute pic of your children at Christmas.

Thats really weird. In Alberta I was able to get in to see my doctor at 8 weeks with my son, this time I personally waited until I was 10 weeks. With both I got scans at around the 12 week mark and another scan at 17 weeks with my son and one at 15weeks and 19 weeks with this one (due to bleeding). I didn't know it was so different province to province.

I'm in the states, but I had my first one at 8 weeks. Then they like to follow up at least once/month until about 28 - 30 weeks, then every two weeks until about 36 weeks, then once/week after that. They don't do scans at all the appointments, but at most of them. I have my next one (for the first trimester screening) on 1/22. I can't wait!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->