Appt at infertility clinic today - questions?

sherlock

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a missed miscarriage and ERPC on Thursday 29 April.

We've been trying for over a year and I have PCOS. We had been referred to the infertility clinic, and should have been seeing them on Friday 7 May, although I had cancelled the appointment.

My consultant suggested I ring for another appointment, which I did last week (thinking it would be another 4 month wait) and they have given me an appointment for today.

I'm worried that because I did get pregnant, they won't take our previous problems into consideration, and won't help.

I have thought of the following things to say / questions to ask:

Things I'm going to say:
  • Over the past 14 months, I have had 6 periods, ranging from 35 days to over 90 days in length (mostly longer rather than shorter).
  • I have been using OPKs for the past 12 months, and have only had 2 positives / peaks show up - the rest of the time nothing has shown up.

Questions I'm going to ask:
  • Could my PCOS have had anything to do with my miscarriage?
  • Could late ovulation (on about day 35) have meant poor egg quality?
  • What are the next steps in terms of treatment?

Can you think of anything else I should be asking / saying? I want to go in there as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance :flower:

good luck for today!

i think i'd ask them about how they work etc...
we started IUI now and i have an apointment at a fertility clinic next week,
i honestly don't know what i'm going to do there, but in case IUI doesn't work,
at least i will not have to wait for IVF to start up

i think during a first apointment, they do most of the question asking and explaining.
the questions you have so far are very good

Tiny, my friend had IUI and now has a lovely son, so hopefully you will have the same outcome! x

Well, it was a total and utter complete waste of time.

Bit of background before I start my rant: I got referred to the infertility clinic by a private consultant, who I had been seeing regarding irregular cycles and who diagnosed PCOS. When it became a fertility problem (TTC for over a year), she referred me to the hospital. While waiting to see them, I got pregnant (helped out by my CBFM). When I miscarried, my consultant told me to ring up and rebook my appointment, which I did.

Well, what I thought was going to happen did happen. The dr's opinion was 'well, you've got pregnant once, so we're not going to do anything'.

He hadn't read any of my referral notes. He said 'So you've been referred because you've had a miscarriage' to which I replied 'No - I've been referred because before I fell pregnant, we had been TTC for over a year, and I have PCOS and only ovulated 3 times in 14 months. And after I miscarried, my consultant told me to rebook my appointment so that my PCOS could be treated'.

That's when he said 'But you've got pregnant, so you will get pregnant again'. a) I might not get pregnant again and b) if I do, I don't want to wait another 14 months for it to happen.

He didn't know about my symptoms, or my ultrasound or laparoscopy confirming PCOS, or the results of any other tests that my consultant has done. All of which were in my notes.

He is sending me for day 2 and day 21 blood tests (which have already been done numerous times by my dr and my consultant, and which have shown no ovulation). That's it.

I am really angry, but at the same time it just confirmed what I thought anyway - that now I've been pregnant, the fact that I had 14 months worth of (proven) problems and then lost the baby doesn't matter.

I asked whether PCOS could have been a factor in the miscarriage, and he said 'Oh well when you get pregnant again, we'll monitor you'. Well, that's not really answering my question is it...

He mentioned follicle tracking, but I just think that's pointless if it's another 3 month cycle, and I'm going for scan after scan and seeing no mature follicles, and then when an egg does appear after 3 months it could be poor quality so I could miscarry again.

It's all so frustrating! Why do drs treat people who want a baby as if they're hypochondriacs?! I know I'm not - my wildly irregular cycles and lack of ovulation prove that!

Rant over - I need a cup of tea!!

what???? what kind of treatment is that??? things like that infuriate me beyond believe!
how can they not take you more seriously after all you've been through, unbelieveable!

i really need to clone my gyn!

have you tried metformin and clomid before? i've seen that alot of woman with PCOS take it.
can your gp prescribe it to you maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->