• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aptamil hungry baby milk?

Pandasnax

Reaction score
Hi everyone im considering putting my 4 werk old on hungry baby, he was born 4 weel early and weighed 5lbs 12 oz he is now 4 week old and drinks 4 1/2 to 5 oz of normal aptamil every 3 to 4 hours sometimes even aftet 2 1/2 hours what would people sujest, is this normal should I change or not?

What he's on sounds fine to me. I wouldn't change his milk unless he was draining 4-5 oz every hour or so. If he can go 3-4 hours on that then that sounds normal. Babies do have hungrier times and day and will want a little more for a top up, thats normal too.

That sounds like a normal intake to he. At 4 weeks my LO was having 4+ oz every 2/2.5 hours. She's slowed down a bit now and at 12 weeks is having 5 oz every 3/3.5 hours and overnight can go 6 hours between feeds.

That sounds normal. Wouldn't ever give my baby hungry baby milk, I'd rather feed more often with stage 1 milk.

Don't do it. I put my lo on hungry baby at 3 weeks on the advice of my mil and he ended up terribly constipated. He didn't need it either! Hungry baby milk is more to prevent early weaning then anything and I wouldn't use it with next baby until at least 4 months and only if they were wanting to feed constantly.

Hungry milk is a con and unhealthy, there is an ongoing debate amongst nutritionists trying to get it banned, a breastfeeding mother doesn't create a "hungry" milk, it's not needed, you just give more of the same milk, I don't even give "follow on" milk at 8 months, stage 1 is all that is needed, anything else is mostly marketing. Although FF babies are more likely to have a routine, remember they are human too, how often have you got to a meal and just not felt hungry, or felt hungry after only 2 hours add into the fact they are going through frequent and dramatic developmental stages, they're not robots though we (myself included!) forget that sometimes, feed on demand stage 1, baby knows what he's doing :flower:

Hungry milk is a con and unhealthy, there is an ongoing debate amongst nutritionists trying to get it banned, a breastfeeding mother doesn't create a "hungry" milk, it's not needed, you just give more of the same milk, I don't even give "follow on" milk at 8 months, stage 1 is all that is needed, anything else is mostly marketing. Although FF babies are more likely to have a routine, remember they are human too, how often have you got to a meal and just not felt hungry, or felt hungry after only 2 hours add into the fact they are going through frequent and dramatic developmental stages, they're not robots though we (myself included!) forget that sometimes, feed on demand stage 1, baby knows what he's doing :flower:

Exactly this. The fact he was small and early is probably why he is feeding so much. At some point in the first 3 months or so, small/early babies (mine was one) 'catch up' by eating loads and I would guess that's exactly what he's doing. He needs the nutrients, calories and hydration that regular feeding provides. Hungry baby milk means witholding those things by trying to get his body to not realise he's hungry or thirsty, even when he truly is. Just feed him on demand, as much as he wants, he knows what he needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->