Are baby monitors with video worth it?

Sherley

One of each!
Reaction score
Hi,
i'm trying to decide on a baby monitor, and I like the look of the angelcare one with movement sensor pad. However, hubby fancies one with video, but they are expensive. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of these, and if they are worth the extra money? My friend has one and says its handy if her child makes a noise in the night she can check to see if he's woken without getting out of bed. However, the baby will be in with us for the first 6 months rendering the video useless! Also, video bit cant be used if you use monitor outside of the nursery.
Any thoughts?

I've not used one before either but we've opted for a video one, DH choice but I like the idea of being able to check on her really easily too x

Yes. I have a video monitor and I wouldn't be without it. Remember, you won't be going to bed at the same time as baby, even if he/she is in your room.

I also have the breathing mat monitor and again.. totally invaluable.

Both expensive pieces of kit BUT well worth the added piece of mind, in my opinion :)

oh wouldnt let me get a video monitor with our first but im defo getting one this time!
even tho lo will be with u for the first 6 months doesnt mean u wont need to use it while babies in ur room and also while in his or her own room.

zane used to make bangs so id have to jump up to see if he was ok, so im looking forward to being able to see baby when ever i want without gettin out of bed haha

Where do you get a breathing mat monitor?

I don't have one, but I wanted to say I really wish I did ever since my daughter has been about 9 months! We can hear her stirring on the regular monitor and sometimes even crying a little bit so I go in to her room to find that she is laying with her eyes closed trying to get herself back to sleep but then she is fully woken up by the light in the hallway! If we had a video monitor we could tell if she's really awake and ready to get up or just trying to get back to sleep. Now she's learning to walk and can climb a little bit so I wish we had one to see if she's trying to escape her crib. So even if you don't use it those first few months, I think you may definitely find it useful when your LO is a little older. We are definitely planning to get one for this LO!

i was just looking at the sensor mat/sound monitor.... but now i want a video one thanks to this post. they are pricey though arent they. might look on ebay

I have heard the video monitors are great just to check on them. During the day when they are napping you may want to check on them. If you peek you head in it will wake them or they will see you and cry. I agree they are soo expensive and some of the video quality really sucks!

I was saying to OH today, I wonder if we can get a security monitor and hook it up to the wi-fi in the house. Then we can pull it up on our phones or the TV in the living room? I know the security cameras start at $60 and have better quality. I would much rather be able to pull it up on my phone (do you think it is possible??) than have to carry a receiver around! People have them in the front door of their houses and do this, it should be the same idea right?

it should work. i have seen people do webcam (if you would like to think about the webcam route rather than security camera route) to check on their nannys and childminders aswell

This is the cheapest I have found this monitor so far https://www.allbabyneeds.co.uk/Shop...and-sound-monitor-by-angelcare/prod_2331.html
I'm going to wait till nearer the time in the hope the price would have come down again as its quite a new product.

it should work. i have seen people do webcam (if you would like to think about the webcam route rather than security camera route) to check on their nannys and childminders aswell

I have just searched and found quite a few. One for $99 I think we may get, video and audio, easy set up, and u can adjust the camera from your viewing phone/laptop. They are all the same security/webcam/nanny cam it seems like anymore. I will have to reseach a little more, but I think we will be going with this instead of the baby monitors so we dont have to carry the monitor or pay for a mini tv screen I would rather not have to use!

At first I didn't want it but now I am glad I have it. There are apps which aren' expensive..

YES! That is the one thing I bought that I feel we've got our money out of it. We use it nightly. My son is 4 years old now. When he goes to his room to play with toys we even use it then to keep an eye on him. Our bedroom is also across the house.

This is ours: https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infan...6&sr=8-2&keywords=summer+infant+video+monitor

oh my gosh, YES! Video 1000%! I am kind of paranoid and a very light sleeper. I used my video monitor when my baby was sleeping in my room next to me just so I could check on them when they made a noise without having to get up and turn on the light or disturb them.

Say baby coughed at night. I would start having paranoid thoughts that they couldn't breathe and their mouth was covered by something, but a glance at the monitor told me all is well. I actually still use it with my 18 month old DD because she gets really crazy moving all over her crib and I glance at it to make sure she's covered with a blanket and not freezing. It's so nice to be able to take a quick glance without trying to sneak in like a ninja. But for less paranoid moms, it might be overkill.

We never intended on having any type of monitor as we were living in a small one bedroom house when DS was born, but a friend passed along their regular monitor which is still in use now. We did have a video monitor as well which we loved as it was great for checking up on especially for when you're not sure if little one is just making noise in their sleep. Unfortunately the charger point broke and there was no way of fixing it (was a reviewal item only so the guarantee didn't count). These days we use a web security camera in it's place.

If you can afford it then I'd say go for it, or go for a web cam if either of you are technically minded.

I think they're worth it, but honestly it's something you could opt to add later if you want it as well. The truth is you don't have to have everything before the baby comes, it's fine to get something basic then wait and see what you want after baby comes.

We just had a simple sound monitor in the beginning with my son, which worked just fine for us. At some point when he got a little older we got one, which was SO useful when he got to the point where every thump from upstairs made us worried if he was climbing out of the crib or not, and then when he moved to a toddler bed we could keep a check on him without having to open the door (which then they see you and all bets are off for getting them to sleep!!). But we always used both a simple sound monitor along with the video monitor. Especially since my son had some health issues, I knew if one wasn't working then we had a back-up turned on (or the video monitor sometimes interefered with our internet connection, so we'd just turn it on to check every once in awhile sometimes and leave the sound monitor going).

I have one and I would say it's one of the best things we bought - my only regret is not buying one sooner!
We still use it and my daughter is 3.5, it's very handy to make sure she's not up to no good! ;-) our's allows us to talk to her as well which is very handy.
There were times when she was a baby and we just had a sound one (and not a very good one at that) where she would make a few noises and I suspect I probably woke her up checking on her, whereas with the video monitor you can see if they really need you or not :)
If cost is an issue could you perhaps buy one second hand? Xxx

I have a video monitor and I love it! I'm lucky it was a gift though, because they can be quite expensive! If you're interested in the movement pad and video together, I have seen them before I think angelcare make them as all in one? But again, it would be very expensive!

I can't say but we have brought a video monitor for when our boy arrives, there's no way we could afford some of them - I've seen them at £200!

We got ours from Argos half price at £50
https://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3913565.htm

The screen isn't as big as some I've seen but does the job! I've had a play and quality is fine even in night vision :happydance:

I love the video monitors! I had one for my 3rd and so wish i had of had it for my 1st two. Im tend to check my babies a lot when they are sleeping, even though i also have the breathing sensor under the mattress. So being able to see baby when ever i want without having to disturb them is great. I can see their chests rise and fall.
So people will tell you they aren't good and rave on about it but i personally like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->