Are baby monitors with video worth it?

YES! We started out without one and ds1 was in our room til he was 6 months, then went in his own room. One night I put ds to bed, in his room, and turned on the sound monitor. All was quiet and then he let out a little cry which was normal but sounded odd this time. I was 50/50 going in as didn't want to interrupt him getting to sleep but my instinct was to check. I went in and the poor thing had rolled on his tummy and couldn't get back. I got a cheap video monitor the next day and never looked back. This time round, ds2, we have an upgraded one with a sensor mat. I know some people say "they didn't need them in the old days" but the peace of mind is priceless. Buy 2nd hand, ask for mothercare vouchers for xmas, but I would not be without mine.

I'm getting the Angelcare with video and sensor pad! I know it's a bit pricey but it's hard to put a price on peace of mind :) Some people spend that much on one evening at the restaurant, that's what I tell myself when spending money on "luxeries" haha

I have both. I use the one with the movement sensor on it until my baby is old enough to move off of it frequently (which results in the thing going off in the middle of the night for a few days before I turn it off). I also keep video monitors in my kids' rooms and the playroom (which used to be a nursery). I love being able to check on the kids without waking them or disturbing them. If I go upstairs to the playroom instead of looking on the monitor, all of them will follow me back downstairs, and I won't get anything done. The room is baby- and kid-proofed, so I'm safe to work on dinner while the kids play up there and just keep the monitor on so I can see/hear if they need me (and I can talk to them through the monitor). Same with their bedrooms.

Definitely yes!
I used to look after my nephew without a video one and thought it wasn't needed but when I got a video one with my baby it is definitely worth it!
Loads of times my baby makes noise and I want to see what she is doing. I can see if she is self settling or needs me. Without it I would of gone in her room loads of times and disturbed her more for no reason xxx

It really depends on you. For me, the answer is no. I don't feel the need. We had the Angelcare deluxe with our first born. Being first time parents, we were really over-the-top and wanted to make sure we had the best equipment possible. Nothing wrong with that, BUT our daughter slept in a pack and play in our room next to us for the first 6 months, so the monitor wasn't necessary during this time, and after that first 6 months, we were much less afraid of anything tragic happening. This time around, we plan to have the baby in our room for the first few months again, and we are buying a basic $40 audio-only monitor.

My advice? If you plan for the baby to sleep in the room with you for the first few months, don't buy a monitor until you're ready to move the baby to their own room. When our daughter was a baby, she didn't even nap in her crib. She usually just napped on the main floor with us, so a monitor wasn't necessary. Then, when you are ready for your child to sleep in a separate room, see how you feel and make the monitor purchase accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->