Are men turned off by intelligence...?

Intelligence is a very subjective thing. How exactly do you measure intelligence? For me & DH, if you look at academics & IQ test alone, I am considerably more 'intelligent' than my DH. However, we both have our strengths. IT, maths & science I am very good at whilst DH would excel at history & politics. Give him a screwdriver and he will be in his element.
Despite having a difference in intelligence (based on IQ test/academics), we are able to hold meaningful conversations with each other (apart from when he is telling me about his day at work, unfortunately I know nothing about blast furnaces. I just smile & nod)

I do wonder how you measure intelligence. As I said before I know very bright people academically who have no common sense, I also know people with no social intelligence (me being one, I am very empathetic towards others but I hate social situations and very shy and feel socially awkward) I also know people who purely know how to bull shit, one person I lived with at university had no original ideas but scored highly as he could regurgitate others ideas with no true understanding of what he was saying. My sister is intelligent, she was able to get an A in GCSE English despite never finishing the books as I told her the story line and again she had it down to an art form how to answer exam questions, she did her GCSE maths a year early, high a levels and good degree. I cant spell at all due to dyslexia but I can score highly in academic subjects and give a detailed opinion on current events, politics, religion, history, books etc.. it does not mean I am any more intelligent than my friends who haven't been to university. I was told at primary school I was thick as was my older sister and we both went on to get a post graduate education as we were late bloomers. Although I wouldn't say I am super intelligent I am good with children, I am good at teaching and I am passionate about learning. My parents did not think I was as intelligent as my sisters as they were good at maths and science, I always had my head in a book and fascinated with history, or in the music room playing flute in orchestra. I think we have a very narrow view of intelligence, I often get asked how I would feel as a teacher if my daughter struggled at school, my answer is I would rather she be a good person and always try her best. A score in a test isn't everything. The amount of parents when I was teaching who came in judging their child purely on maths and English is stupid, we had parents comparing reading books, they seemed to ignore if their child was an amazing artist, musician etc, we cant always be good at same thing, and breath :haha: I will get off my soap box. I would love my husband whether he had a university education or not, I believe we probably share interests which is part of attraction. I am rubbish at maths so I am very lucky to have a husband who works the shopping bill etc out :haha:

I would add my highly intelligent sister went out with a man who did not know who Hitler was but he was a very sweet guy. Intelligence isn't everything

I believe is more how she treat people. Her ego is probably a big turn off than her intelliegent. I

A clip from the show Big Bang Theory:

Scene: A park bench. Sheldon is sitting. A stranger sits next to him.

Sheldon: Look at the two of us. Me, a highly regarded physicist. The kind of mind that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. You, the common man, tired from your labours as a stockbroker, or vacuum cleaner salesman, or bootblack. But deep down inside, apparently we’re just two peas in a pod. A regular pea, and the kind of pea that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. Rain. Another great equalizer. Falling on the head of the brilliant and the unremarkable alike.*(The stranger puts up an umbrella)*Smarty-pants.

A clip from the show Big Bang Theory:

Scene: A park bench. Sheldon is sitting. A stranger sits next to him.

Sheldon: Look at the two of us. Me, a highly regarded physicist. The kind of mind that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. You, the common man, tired from your labours as a stockbroker, or vacuum cleaner salesman, or bootblack. But deep down inside, apparently we’re just two peas in a pod. A regular pea, and the kind of pea that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. Rain. Another great equalizer. Falling on the head of the brilliant and the unremarkable alike.*(The stranger puts up an umbrella)*Smarty-pants.

Love it :haha: of course the big bang theory is one of the best programmes on tv, love Sheldon though not sure I would in real life

I would never ever be attracted to the type of guy who is turned off or intimidated by intelligence - I need to be in a relationship where I am treated as an equal I don't do the whole damsel in distress thing :haha:

Completely agree. I could never pretend to be just passive and meek, It's just so sexist!

My sister is very intelligent (and she was born deaf too) . Everyone says she is very smart. But her EQ is terrible (on the other hand I think it has more to do with how we communicate. ...deaf people can be-not always- more concrete thinkers and can be blunt)

I havent read all the posts but i thought id put in my 2c!

I have 4 degrees, (3 and working on the last one) and i love to learn! My IQ is quite high and i am also now learning sign language. DF finished high school and was happy with that.

He loves that im "more" intelligent, but for me it wouldnt make a difference if the roles were reversed. My guy friends also state its "hotter" to have a smart girl. But they are also horny 25 year old guys lol. I think as long as an ego isnt so present, it really dosent matter. I love to learn, and he excels in what he does. We love what we do, it dosent matter. We feel we are equals. Hard to explain but we do. At the end of the day its not whats in the brain, but whats in the heart i think.

But i do agree about being able to hold a conversation. He loves to hear about my physics classes, and I love to hear about his stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->