Are u more likely to have big babies if overweight?

familygirl30

Reaction score
Just wondering how it works,I know a lot of small ladies have big babies but I'm wondering if I'm likely to have a big baby with been overweight,I got bump measured for the first time this week and looking at my chart looks like I'm measuring 3 weeks a head,now don't know if this means he long or big weight.

I'm not sure, because I feel like I've seen plenty of larger women with tiny babies. My doctor told me though that the more weight I gain the more weight baby will gain.

Macrosomic babies are more frequently born to larger women, however your fungus measurement is also able to be skewed due to extra weight on your stomach xx

Not unless you have gestational diabetes. Ppl with GD can have large babies. But just because of what you look like on the outside, doesn't determine how a baby will grow in your uterus on the inside.

I'm overweight, have diet-controlled only GD, and my baby is measuring 22% in weight. I know it's not the entire demographic but I think it just really depends on the kind of diet you've kept in pregnancy assuming other things are in line.

With my DD I was 16 stone and she was 6lbs 13oz at birth, Im looking at another 6/7lb baby this time by estimations :)

I've never heard this. I think the size of your baby is more to do with mom and dads genetics and bone structure. I was overweight with my son and he was only 7lbs2oz. Both OH and I are relatively small framed.

I'm overweight and my DD was 7 lbs. 2 oz. when she was born and I had GD. So far with this pregnancy, still overweight and have GD again but baby consistently measures at the 50% percentile for her weight (I have scans every 2 weeks). I also thought the first time around because of my weight (and the GD) that I'd have a huge baby but she was perfect. No worries :flower:.

Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference. It just depends on the genetics the baby takes on really. I don't think being small or large guarantees you a small or large baby, it depends on a lot of other factors. My belly was huge and measured 2 weeks ahead but I had a 6 lbs 11 oz baby, an ultrasound is a more reliable source on how large your baby will be or a OBGYN with many years of experience. My OBGYN was able to deadlock how large my son would be. He estimated 8 - 8.5 lbs and my son was born 8.3 lbs.

:)

I am overweight and I had a 6lbs 10 oz baby and a 7lb baby... This one I am not sure yet shes got some health issues going on and her last weight when I was like 31 weeks was 4lbs 9oz. I don't think weight has anything to do with how large your child is. Diet, GD, genetics yes all those I think determine babies size. I was a 10lb baby... I could have a 10lb baby *shrugs*

From what my doctors have told me, each partner has a growth gene that they give to the baby. So, unless there's another factor involved (such as GD which would make baby bigger or, say, smoking or alcohol use which would make baby smaller), the baby should be around the size that either you or your partner was at birth/would have been if born at the same time.

I'm VERY overweight, but my LO was born at 7lbs., 13 oz. He got my growth gene - I was born at 8 lbs., 6 oz. almost a week and a half later than my LO. My partner was born 2 weeks late at 7 lbs., 6 oz. So, I could end up with a tiny baby someday. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->