Arghh.....they said i'm having a big baby....advice needed!

Boomerslady

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Some of you may have seen I had a second anomoly scan yesterday, as LO was being difficult at my first one.

After the scan yesterday i was told I'd have to go back at 28, 32 and 36 weeks for a growth scan (obviously happy as I get to see LO again :happydance:)

BUT.....at 23 weeks, he weighs what a 25 week old baby should weigh......

I'm worried about 2 things:

1. I'm going to have a huge baby....like labour wasnt scary enough! :cry::cry:

or

2. They got my EDD wrong.....I wasn't trying to concieve, and literally had NO idea how far gone I could be.....my date was changed by 1 week at my nuchal scan...but now i'm worried they got it wrong by more than that.

If it is number 2....people I have spoken too (who had a large baby) told me there is NO way they will change my due date.

BUT if I am 2 weeks more gone than I thought I'm a bit screwed, as I need to move into my own flat and was planning on doing it at 36 weeks......now if my dates are wrong, i'll be moving 2 weeks before I'm due to give birth.

Does anyone have any adivce please? Whether to push for them to chnage my dates, or if I may be induced early if he keeps growing (I have severe gallstones, so this may factor into it).......

Any info/advice welcome please :thumbup:

The scans will be there to monitor your babies growth. If the scans show that the baby is bigger than normal at each scan, then they will either:-

1. Induce you early
or
2. Offer you a C section

Remember some women go to 42 weeks, so if the baby continues to grow at a rate that is just 2 weeks ahead, then they may leave you.

Don't worry as you can't change things and one things for sure he/she needs to come out!

Dont go with everything thats said! If your dates ARE out by two weeks and baby isnt here at 40 weeks then maybe push for induction (if you want too) If they arent and he is two weeks bigger NOW then he may NOT be at full term. My sister was told she was havign a huge baby, over 10lbs....he was under 7lbs. The guessed weight of my son was 7lb, he was 8lb13. Its not an exact science even with detailed scans. You may well find that he evens himself out over the coming weeks so dont panic yourself now.

i would take it with a pinch of salt hun. i was told i was having a big baby and he weighed a teeny weeny 5ibs 3ozs. they got it so wrong!!!!!! these scans aren't very accurate. if you are having a big baby they will take the appropriate action closer to the time. :hugs:

My second son was very big for dates, I had to have growth scans, at 36 weeks he was 7lb with 4 weeks to go! (most babies are around 5.5lb at this stage I believe), He decided to pop out early at 36w 4d and weighed 7lb3 oz. xx

Thanks for all the help ladies.

I guess I'll have to ait and see what happens.....I might mention it to my MW next time I see her, as IF my due dates are out slightly I really would like them changed (purely so I know to move house earlier!)

Or it might be best for me to wait and see how he's doing at the 28week scan.

Thanks again :)

I think waiting till 34wk scan/check will be better. Baby growth my slow down alot.
Im measuring 27, at 25.

If they changed it by a week at the nuchal scan and they're now saying that baby is measuring two weeks ahead... that would be 3 weeks in total and that doesn't make sense in relation to your LMP... unless you have irregular periods and missed several? So, it's much more likely that the baby is just big. Babies grow at different rates. It may settle down in a few weeks or it may continue to get bigger in which case they'll probably induce you early.

Hi. Both my kids were supposedly 'big babies' and my son had growth scans during the last few weeks of pregnancy. My girl was just under 7ib and my boy was 7lb 2 so i would honestly take it with a pinch of salt. If they really think its that huge by the end of the pregnancy they will take action then. As someone who was induced a week before my daughter was due I, personally, would do what i could ( yes even...god forbid, consider s e x :winkwink:!) to avoid it. Having said that Ive friends who had fab deliveries after induction so it depends wholly on the woman.
Try not to worry at this stage hon.
x

Hey hun, I wouldnt panic too much, I was told my ds would weigh close to twelve pounds!! They pushed for induction at 38 weeks as I was poorly with preeclampsia and due to his size and he weighed just under 8lb. These scans can never be 100% sure so enjoy the extra scans and try not to worry, its really common for women to measure bigger/smaller than their dates

xx

keep in mind that sometimes the Dr's are wrong, theres a lady on here (Tigerlady) who was told that her baby was going to be 10+ plus with a 17inch head span. and was told this at 38ish weeks, (after being told in the whole lead up that he was measuring 'big' and 'ahead' when her boy was born he was an average 8pound with a 14inch head. So try not to put toooo much thought on it right now,

I have been referred to the consultant as with my other 3 kids they were quite big babies my 1st son 8lb 2,2nd son 9lb 3 and my daughter 9lb 1.they say if its anoher boy its more likey to be 9lb+ again and with girls they can vary..i really do not see the point in them sending me to see a consultant as ive had 3 normal deliverys with no stitches needed just a few grazes lol

Alot of woman do say they find it easier giving birth to a larger baby then a small baby i did find my 9lb babies easier to deliver then my 8lb baby..weird i know .

Good luck im sure you will be fine x

at 17 weeks 6 days Connor was measuring 21 weeks 3 days....and my dates are spot on. I grow big babies I suppose. My 6 year old was born at 36 weeks weighing in at 9 lbs 3 oz...my doctor refuses to switch my dates, they're just going to take the baby early via c-section.

my little boy was 9 lbs 6 oz and very easy to have he literally pushed his self out!! Good Luck

my little boy was 9 lbs 6 oz and very easy to have he literally pushed his self out!! Good Luck

Omg lucky you, my son didnt want to come out!!!:haha:

Im having a growth scan at 36 wks too and iv been told my options are if the baby is going to be measuring bigger than average I will have a caesarian at 39 weeks or If I want to go natural I will be induced at 38 weeks.
They may give you these options too if not then ask them!
My son was 9lb14 oz but he was born at bang on 42 weeks so I think them extra 2 weeks didnt help fattening him up :)

they do have growth spurts ive had growth scan with all of mine as my 1st was 9 lbs scond 7 lbs 3 at 36 weeks 3rd 8lbs 8 and last but not least 6lbs 14 at 37 weeks sometimes they were 4 weeks a head at one point my 3rd measured 6 weeks ahead but none of them were huge huge well i guess for me they were im only 5"2 and 8 st but i spent so much time worrying about a big baby and it wasnt that bad xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->