ASD in 2.5 year old girl

Fernando

Reaction score
Hi,
Wondering if anyone can share similar experiences-- I'm just crushed.
My 2.5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with ASD (well, the neurologist gave her a "provisional diagnosis" so she can start ABA before her formal neurodevelopmental evaluation this summer. She was seeing the neurologist for suspected absence seizures, which have since been ruled out).

Anyways, we had her evaluated by early intervention at 26 months because her speech was incoherent, didn't consistently respond to her name, and seemed "lazy" and zoned out on a couch often (hence, the suspected seizures). Our biggest concern was how inconsistent she was from day-to day. I was shocked and saddened that she qualified significantly in all areas . She was not her best on the testing day, actually the worst she has ever been but her scores were just so low. Battelle scores:

Motor: 71, -1.93 SD, 3rd percentile
Communication: 55, -3.00 SD, 0.1 percentile
Cognitive: 71, -1.93 SD, 3rd percentile
Adaptive: 73, -1.80 SD, 4th percentile
Personal social: 61, -2.60 SD, 0.5 percentile

She currently receives early intervention (speech, OT, play group) and will start ABA soon. Next year she will go to integrated preschool with an ABA component.

I know she is extremely behind and will need support, but the thing is--she's the most affectionate kid, doesn't stim, doesn't have obsessions, isn't rigid, can often follow 1-step directions , responds to her name more, and makes requests ("I want milk, go outside?"). She also greets people ("hi mommy!), shows me things, brings me books to read, and engages familiar adults in simple games like chasing and hide-and-seek.

Of course, she doesn't interact with other kids (except her big sister and occasionally her younger brother), has poor play skills, will walk away from an activity that she doesn't want to do, and can't answer simple questions like "whats your name" and "how old are you?"

Sorry I'm rambling, I just have to know--is there hope that she can improve? What will she be like at 4 years old, or 12, or 36? Does her Battelle score in the cognitive domain indicate intellectual disability/cognitive impairment? I know that we can't predict the future, but any insight is very much appreciated. I just feel a little lost.

I don't really agree with diagnosing at such a young age because they change so much. Nothing your LG does seems anything to worry about to be honest. You have listed a full set of very positive things about her. Kids are outgrowing there diagnoses more and more because they weren't asd in the first place. I'm not saying your doctor is wrong but I'd try not to fret at this young age. Also if it comforts you any by daughter was also deemed behind in everything age 4. She's just turned 6. She's pretty much 'average " in everything apart from her language skills. Her language is developing though just a bit slower and she can converse fine. She's in nainstream school currently without support and teachers are very pleased with her. I hate to think of the scores she would have got age 2

thank you so much! thank you, i cant even tell you how much hope that gives me. i guess i was just disheartened by her playgroup today--she didn't really participate at all, she never acknowledges the other kids but today she was especially "off". She just sat by herself and played with blocks and a jack-in-the-box baby toy.

My son is 5 and asd. What he was like at 2 bares no resemblance to what he's like now.
He didn't speak till he was 3.5 but now chatters away.
Previously he had little interest in anyone. Now he drags me into games, wants to tell me things and has even made friends at school (something I never thought feasible even a year ago)

thank you so much! thank you, i cant even tell you how much hope that gives me. i guess i was just disheartened by her playgroup today--she didn't really participate at all, she never acknowledges the other kids but today she was especially "off". She just sat by herself and played with blocks and a jack-in-the-box baby toy.

When my dd was this age she wasn't interested in playing with anyone either. If you look on the toddler and preschool board or even kids there's loads of mums who say there kid is playing alone she 4 and 5

Thank you ! I'm so happy to hear that your son has made such gains! It really gives me hope!

My son is 5 and asd. What he was like at 2 bares no resemblance to what he's like now.
He didn't speak till he was 3.5 but now chatters away.
Previously he had little interest in anyone. Now he drags me into games, wants to tell me things and has even made friends at school (something I never thought feasible even a year ago)

Thank you! I'm so glad your boy is doing so well!

I am so grateful for these replies, it makes me feel more optimistic for my daughter's future. I should mention that my daughter also has some echolalia/scripting ("what's the matter?" when crying, for example, and "mmm yummy delicious so good" when eating something she likes , always in that order). And she repeats and re-enacts small parts of tv programs, maybe 1-2 times a day.

Does anyone else's child do/did that too? I'm just worried

My son does. But it's linked now to his week and what he's doing. So he'll say to me maybe 20 times each day:
Monday school day, Tuesday school day, Wednesday school day, Thursday school day, Friday school day, Saturday stay home, Sunday stay home.

It is a reassurance thing for him.
or he'll read the channel ident on the telly and tell me every 5 minutes for two hours "mummy my little pony friendship club"

But like I said he didn't say anything at all until he was 3.5 so though it's irritating sometimes I remind myself of that.

I personally find my son's stimming (he likes to dance on his toes flapping his hands) super cute

I am so grateful for these replies, it makes me feel more optimistic for my daughter's future. I should mention that my daughter also has some echolalia/scripting ("what's the matter?" when crying, for example, and "mmm yummy delicious so good" when eating something she likes , always in that order). And she repeats and re-enacts small parts of tv programs, maybe 1-2 times a day.

Does anyone else's child do/did that too? I'm just worried

my DD had echoalia. the one mentioned above. an example of hers would be if i said "do you want juice?" she would then repeat the question back to me. It stemmed from receptive language difficulties. She knew a response was required but she didnt fully understand the question. Echoalia is a common trait in toddlers as part of language learning and "typical" children grow out of it. my daughter has been under assesments for 2 years. they cant decide if shes asd or not. iv been told its "highly unlikely" and the education phycologist feels her behaviour in pre school stemmed from receptive language difficulties. asd behaviours are not all that uncommon in toddlers its apparently on a problem when the child does not move onto another approriate developmental phase

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->