Asking for a Home birth after 42 weeks *update was induced*

Weezie123

Reaction score
Just wanted to post to give confidence to those who are concerned about asking to go over 42 weeks and labour at home. I asked my midwife today to delay my induction and she wrote on my notes that I had asked for a delay as I wanted a home birth!

I was originally booked in for 42 weeks on the dot and had been so stressed with the though of missing this "deadline" my baby and my body needed to perform to.

We decided on an hour of monitoring at 42 weeks and then to have two extra days over before thinking about booking an induction with the option to extend again if all is well. I was all ready for confrontation but she agreed with me that if all is healthy with me and the baby that delaying intervention is still a good option and well within my rights to do! I can't tell you what a weight has been lifted off me being given more time to do things naturally!

Please come soon little one!:baby:

That's fab news :) Pleased to hear your MW was so supportive.

Thanks guys, I was so anxious about asking that I didn't sleep a wink, now I feel free to trust my body again!:happydance:

aw thats gr8 news hunny, i hope u get ur well awaited healthy homebirth xx

Fabulous!! It's nice when your wishes are respected isn't it! :D

Thanks guys, just makes a change to be able to report on a midwife who looked at me as an individual not a patient!

Just a little update. I was booked to go in for monitoring of the baby yesterday with the midwife. All was well, baby was very happy. The head midwife said that the protocol was to go to the hospital to speak to a consultant as I was wanting to go beyond the 42 weeks and this was out of the their jurisdiction, which I understand. Also that they would want to scan the baby to look at the fluid levels.

They were lovely and supportive of me though and were kind of appologising that I had to go (obviously I didn't HAVE to but I wanted to be monitored).

I waited at the hospital for 3 hours as they were so busy. I had no monitoring . I told them I wanted to go on waiting until Monday which would mean I was 42+3 according to their ultrasound but only 41+6 according to my dates. They gave me a talk about how my placenta was in danger of shutting down due to calcification and that I was taking a high risk strategy! While I was in there it confirmed why I don't want to go to hospital or "this hell hole" as my husband affectionately called it! I could hear all the womens intimate problems and also the curtain was nudged by a nurse that meant I could actually see the woman next doors feet as she was being internally examined!

The studies they were talking about supporting their claims were done in 1956 when infant mortality was much higher! They did admit they didn't have that much info as not many women are allowed to go over.

I compromised and said I would go in on Sunday, they were so anxious that I didn't go against "guide lines" that they booked me in at 7.30 am and moved another poor woman's appointment to get me in (hopefully she will get more of a chance to go naturally now!)

Basically I have been scare mongered at the hospital and given 1 extra day in the end! They said they like to induce at 41+12 so in their minds I'm way over that but the printed leaflet they gave me said 42 weeks was ok and then monitoring twice a week. The consultant tried to tell me I needed to go in every day I was over 42 weeks! I'm in on Friday to check the fluid levels now as I said that every day was a bit ott as the monitoring of the heartbeat only tells you the baby is ok for the 20 mins you're being monitored as they also pointed out to scare me!

I felt like a freak, she said to me "you are unusual, most women can't wait to see their babies". I want to see mine as much as the next person!

I felt like a freak, she said to me "you are unusual, most women can't wait to see their babies". I want to see mine as much as the next person!

Oh my god! That makes me reallllly mad! As if you are declining induction because you don't want to see your baby! That has to be one of the most idiotic lines I have heard from a HCP. Just....no.

Yeah after being this "overdue" I couldn't be anymore desperate to see my baby! :dohh:

We're in the same situation, and I have an appointment for monitoring tomorrow (I delayed it), by their dates 40+14, by mine 40+6. I'm not looking forward to it for all the things you've posted about your visit. I can't imagine what I will say to anyone who upsets me tomorrow, I'm on the edge of going insane with people and their stupidity and ignorance, and I've no longer got any witty remarks, I will SAY what I MEAN. I will not be considering anyones feelings, or what crap they say, I'm so done with being made to feel 'unusual' 'in the minority' 'foolish' 'stupid' and whatever else they want to presume I am because I want my body to labour naturally and have a VBAC homebirth.

Labour vibes coming your way, although selfishly I'm halving them for me too ;)

Indigo fairy, let us know how you get on, I will be thinking of you while I'm at my monitoring and I am sending you half of my labour vibes so we have the same amount x :hugs:

Weezie did you see the post on research I put together on prolonged pregnancy?
Here is a link
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...xpectant-monitoring-management-induction.html

Good luck to you both today!

and please don't feel bullied coerced or scaremungered into anything you are not happy with! xxXxx

I read your first post and got all excited, your update is a bit of a downer though :(

Don't say yes to anything you don't agree with!!
They say about the risk of the placenta shutting down, can't they monitor the blood flow with an ultrasound??

If push really comes to shove, it may be worth trying to get the ball rolling naturally... Long walks, sex, castor oil (ew!), EPO.. I've heard of women inserting it vaginally to bring on labour.

Hope it all works out for you :) My 3rd was born at 42+2, at home.
:hugs:

Bournefree I did read that thank you. Thanks for your support everyone. Ixchel your experience gives me hope! Ive had a series of long walks, lots of rumpy, pumpy and a madras.

I have another update, I went for my ultrasound scan today. Initially the sonographer said "what? You're 42 weeks, they really should have done something about you by now" I explained they wanted to and that I didn't want them to and that's why I was there.

Then he looked at the baby and was saying, perfect heart beat, perfect measurements, perfect amount of fluid, baby in perfect position!

Then he exclaimed "I think this baby is coming tonight, have a vindaloo!" Then he said to my stomach, "listen here baby, you are coming tonight, don't be stubborn"

It cheered me up as it was such a positive experience.

Then I had the heartbeat monitored by a nurse who said I would need to go in again on Saturday for another CTG tomorrow, the hospital is 20 miles from where I live and I pointed out that I had already had the two that hospital policy requires and I'm booked for induction on Sunday. She had to look at my print out of the policy as "no one really goes over the 42 weeks."

Anyway I felt better about my decision knowing the baby is more than perfectly happy.:cloud9:

well sounding good i hope baby makes their own move into this world before sunday comes and you have to argue about it more.

my mother was 4 wks overdue by her lmp ( she didnt have scans and didnt have irregular cycles ) with my brother and 12 days over with my sister

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->