Asking on Behalf of my sister :)

mysteriouseye

Pregnant with No.3
Reaction score
My sister has a very strange pregnancy :)

Her last period was 7th February 2015 so that would date her at around almost going on 8 weeks. She had a bit of bleeding and last friday we took her for a scan where she was measuring 5 weeks... there was no baby yet just a sack, and the scan person said she was going on 5 weeks. Then on Wednesday she had another scan that had a heartbeat and the scan lady said she was going on 6 weeks and that her baby had a very strong heartbeat.

Would you still go by your period or would you go by the scan measurement. I have had 2 kids myself and know that by the 12 weeks scan your period date is irrelevant and you go by the measurement of the baby. My sister says she is going by her period because she wants to be further ahead lol. My sister keeps saying she is 8 weeks but I personally think she should go by the scan because that is more accurate. Her argument was that the doctor said 'scans can get it wrong'... I dont think you can go from a 5 week sac to 8 weeks in a couple of days :)

I would go by the scan it's very accurate at dating early on , she must have ovulated late that cycle :)

Always by scan dates/measurements. Women's cycles can vary widely, so date of last period is not always accurate and any so 'official' due date will always be determined from scan.

My way of doin it is if its more than 5 days difference then go by the scan, i was due 24th December by last period with my 2nd son, by scan though i was put at 13th January, he was born on 20th January, i always used the scan date its a lot more accurate than period dates

She may want to be further along, but you can't argue with scan measurements, they are pretty accurate. When she has her 12 week scan they use the measurements to give the official due date which the doctors will use when providing antenatal care, so it would be unhelpful for her to think she's two weeks further along to then be pushed back.

I am so glad that other people agree with me... I was trying to tell her this but she was telling me I am wrong... despite me having 2 kids already I know the scan date is more accurate that period. She will just get a shock if she goes to her 12 week scan and she is actually only 10weeks x

Yeah, I agree with the others that the scan measurement is the way to go. It might be one or two days off, but probably not two weeks.

But I just have to say how exciting it is that you and your sis are going to be pregnant together and have babies so close together! I wish my sis would get pregnant. :haha:

Elma it is :) I was very excited :) I think if we go by the scan we are literally one week apart :) xx

You could give birth on the same day!!!! That would be amazing!

Yeah :) I mean I tend to have my babies early :)First was 38 weeks and 2nd was 34 weeks:p So I think mine might be a November baby xx

I'm thinking go by the scan *however* I will share what happened to me with my 2nd baby, my periods are not irregular, they come like clockwork, from my first ultrasound with her I felt they had the dates wrong, well she was born "4 weeks early" I do believe she was early but she only weighed a few oz less than my first daughter who was born 2 weeks early, she did not have to be in nicu at all so it is still my belief that she was really only born 3 weeks early not 4. When I had my last mmc, I asked if someone who tends to have smaller babies could also technically have a smaller measuring baby and/or slower developing baby, she said absolutely, I think your sister might be a little further possibly than what the Drs are saying but not as far along as she's thinking.

Yea if I went by my LMP (Jan. 2, 2015) I would be 13 weeks but I ovulated late and did not have a period in February. So I had my scan and they told me I was 7 weeks on 3/23. :)

At this point you always go by each scan. Baby can change so quickly, so you may be put a few days ahead at one scan and then be back the next. However at this point just let her believe what she wants to believe. Its not hurting anything and will only land in family issues if you kept on about it. Let her find out for herself when its time to know exactly how far along she is. I know you just want to be a good sister and help her out, but obviously she wants to think she knows how far she really is. Like i said its not hurting anything. You can just go along with it and you know what you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->