Aspirin and breastfeeding?

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
I was told to take 325mg of aspirin a day (normal dose) due to superficial blood clots in my leg. The clots developed after I gave birth and I had difficulty walking so they wanted to be cautious. I'll be on aspirin daily for 1-2 months until the clots are gone.

I've been taking it but I'm a bit worried. I'm tandem nursing so both of my kiddos are now getting this. My midwife said it was safe and the chief of obstetrics also cleared it. I'm hoping I can be switched to low dose though when they follow up next week. :(

Is anyone else breastfeeding while taking aspirin daily? Looking for some reassurance. I hate taking meds in general but know my health is important too.

Thanks in advance!

I'm taking low-dose aspirin, but I just make sure to take it before I know I won't be feeding for a few hours. Can you take it directly after you nurse and try to wait 2-3 hours? I know that's the safest thing to do due to the slight risk of Reye's Syndrome, but when your health is at risk, you do what you have to do!

Edit: I just noticed your baby is 3 days old. Congratulations! In that case, I would not suggest trying to hold off on nursing (like I do with my 17 month old), but maybe if you notice a time where he goes a few hours before nursing again, try to time it for there.

Thank you! I've decided to switch to low dose after speaking with his pediatrician and my midwife. The 325mg seems to be overkill and low dose is much safer for breastfeeding.

I feel better knowing that other moms are breastfeeding and on low dose. :) I've been really concerned the last few days. I'm hoping the two doses of 325 I took won't hurt them.

I doubt two doses would do anything! Chronic HIGH dose ingestion of aspirin is what's risky, and even so, the risk is very tiny. Direct administration to the baby is much worse. I'm reading about effects on babies, and it looks like most of the mothers were taking around 3.9 g/day (!!) when their babies got ill.

Taking a low-dose aspirin right after nursing sounds totally fine!

I took low dose aspirin during my last pregnancy whilst I was bf my ds2. I like you was worried but it all was fine. Both the boys have suffered no ill effects at all. I bf ds2 for six months whilst taking aspirin. Hth :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->