At my wits end, feeling like a bit of a failure with feeding time

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
I'm a bit fed up of posting about feeding issues with my 5 week old, but I really need some advice on this one. Please be patient it's a bit of a long one :(

Ds was originally taking a steady 5/6oz every feed back 2 weeks ago. Reflux hit (or is it actually reflux I'm not too sure anymore) and slowly dropped the ounces to now he only takes between 2 and 3oz at each feed, he fusses and cries when he gets to 2oz then refuses to take anymore, hes still obviously quite hungry afterwards but refuses to take more, he eventually goes to sleep after getting in such a state.

Hes on medication for the reflux, hes only ever sick after about 2 bottles in the day pretty normal for a baby. He takes comfort milk, and refuses now to drink normal milk (I tried with normal milk as its thinner I thought I could get more into him before he started fussing) but refused that completely.

Is it normal for him to be drinking a good 5 to 6oz originally, to then drop to just 2 or 3oz. I have to take him back to the doctor next friday anyway due to this but not sure I can even go this long right now. Hes happy in himself, such a pleasant baby smiling from 3 weeks and doing everything hes supposed to, just feeding times are a nightmare.

Also one thing to add, since birth hes been quite congested the doctor said the fussy feedings were probably due to an cold, but this hes had for almost 6 full weeks now, he has a bit of a rattly chest and he snorts and snores a lot, all of this I dont think it's normal, but was given saline nasal drops to try which hasn't done a thing, and if this was the cause of the decline in milk intake surely it would have happened long before now.

Can anyone please shed some light on this and if you think something else might be up?

Also may I add my second DS has severe reflux, and even he was nothing like this, he would quite happily take a full bottle, but afterwards the pain and vomiting came, he never fussed during feeds or dropped ounces.

I get major anxiety knowing a feed is coming, it should be enjoyable and a good bonding experience, but I dread putting the bottle anywhere near him

Last edited:
Have you tried moving up a teat size? Baby could be getting frustrated that it isn’t coming out fast enough.
Also, both my reflux babies have fed more often due to having a sore tummy/throat from the reflux. How often is he feeding? Could be feeding due to being uncomfortable rather than actually hungry so if you are currently feeding him every 3 hours you could try extending it by half hour or so.
Having a reflux baby is so difficult. I used to hate feeding my first baby.
Have you tried anti reflux milk? It was a lifesaver for my first but made my 2nd very windy. Could be worth a try xx

Could he be tongue tied? Both my LOs have been severely tongue tied with my DS having his snipped last week at 6 weeks. The fussy feeding sounds familiar, he could be stopping after 2 ounces because it’s exhausting. Not sure if that would account for the bigger milk intake then suddenly dropping though. Agree that upping the teat size could help x

I agree with the test size, have you upped it since giving comfort milk? I know I upped it or switched to variflow when my son had thicker milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->