• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

At the end of my rope

lizziemc

Reaction score
Hi my baby is 5 days old and she is perfect. I had a 36 hour labour with only gas as pain relief which ended in a vacuum birth and epistiotomy(sp?). I have been breast feeding her since birth and it was going ok but I'm so physically worn out after the birth that I really feel I can't go on. I spent my day crying today. Everytime I look at her my heart fills up with love and then I feel guilty for dreading feeding time. I've had help from a lactation consultant who said that I was doing everything right but everytime she latches on it feels like a razor blade slicing my nipple. I've tried creams, compresses and ice but nothing works. My nipples are all cracked and bleeding.
My poor husband has just come back from the shop with a bottle of formula. Can I just give her some tonight? I'd like to bf her a bit also but I need a break. How do I combine without making Baby sick?

Aw Hun.

I was exactly the same!!! It will get better I promise.

Better than formula might be maybe trying nipple shields?

You really don't want to limit her sucking at the moment as it'll affect your supply.

I know it's horrible. I cried and wanted to quit every day but it does get better I promise. Xxx

I agree there's other ways to go than formula. I'd try nipple shields. Things get better after awhile but you have to be strong and don't let anyone talk you into giving up. Everytime I would cry or get stressed out OH would always think switching was the answer but I never actually let him go through with giving her the bottle sometimes it took me seeing him prepare the bottle before I'd snap out of it and take her from him. I once expressed a bottle that was pink because it was full of blood.. it sucked and I also dreaded feeding time I remember getting irritated because my daughter was hungry and I knew what was about to happen..things are a lot better now.

Snap in regards to birth! I had ventouse with gas and air as well! Also had an epesiotomy!

I could've written your post myself. Day 5 my nipples were in shreds and I was so exhausted I fainted. This is the baby blues stage so just go with the crying! Crying helps let it all out!

Definitely try nipple shields. They are old school and some midwives are against them but one suggested them to me. They saved my feeding. Have my nipples healing time and stopped me dreading each feed and the "razor gums"! I also found cabbage leaves soothing on the old nips - put them in the fridge and cool on your nips is bliss. Lather them in lanolin or similar cream. Also have done bra-less time to get air at them. Rub breast milk on them. Take paracetamol.

Honestly - try nipple shields. If you really are at the end of your tether one bottle will do no harm at all so don't guilt trip yourself. Your bubba needs a mum who functions! One bottle will not do damage. Expressing will also help keep your supply up.

I expressed off my sorest side for a couple of days to give it a break. I also fed twice off one side if I had one more sore than the other.

Stay strong - you're doing great!

Hi Girls, thank you both for your replies. We have just gone with the formula. It seems to be satisfying her a lot more and I feel a lot better. I' ve squeezed out some of the breast milk tonight, I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is. Should I just leave it in the hope that it dries up or express a little every day till it tapers out. So glad we've made this choice as I have a lot of bleeding and some clots and am just physically not recovering well. I'm going to see my doc tomorrow to talk things over. My baby has tongue tie but I live in Ireland and only 2 docs in the country snip the membrane and the closest one is over 4 hours away, a journey I cannot undertake this minute. Thanks again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->