at what age did you start using cloth nappies?

nikkip75

Reaction score
so how old was your baby when you started using cloth nappies on them?

Eden is only 6 weeks at the mo and i know the nappies say birth to potty but at the rate im changing her nappy i would have washing comin outta my ears if i used them now.

after reading the comments on here im thinkin of using bum genius so gonna start getting a few each week to build up a stash b4 i need them.

so what age is it best to start?

as soon as you feel ready, there's no harm doing part time cloth until you have enough, some users still prefer to use sposies at night and cloth all day.
(i guess they can wash them all before their bedtime then?)

i intend to use cloth as soon as they fit ok, i have some small fitted and birth to potty nappies and i've been building my stash up slowly so i have enough when little one arrives.

I didn't start using cloth til my LO was 5 months or more basically as I knew nothing about them! There are lots of girls on here who can help who've used them pretty much since birth.

I wouldn't buy too many of one type in case they don't work for you.

My suggestion would be to buy a few different ones to try, see how they fare with your LO and then go for a few more of your favs! :D

There are soooo many to choose from but BG V3's are a fab starting point though!

xx

its only a few months ago that i put leyla in cloth nappies, i just didnt think they would fit her and i didnt want to buy too many of newborn cos i knew they wouldnt fit her long, then i found birth to potty nappies and wished id used them from the beginning lol

x

Olivia has been in them since about 9 weeks! Shes a little chunker though :cloud9: so with her chubby legs, we have no real issues with how well they fit!

daisy went into cloth at around 4-5 weeks old i bought birth to potty's and they did fit although they were a bit on the baggy side :rofl: like laurie has said dont go out n buy loads of one type as you might not like the fit etc lots of girls just started out with one or two nappies and used them when they were in the house then when they got used used disposables! that way tyou can wean yourself onto cloth slowly!! good lucj hun

sara

xxxxxx

I started at 4 months. Wish I had done it from the beginning! Ive bought loads of different ones to try but now mostly use bum genius, blue berry and itti bitti. Pocket nappys are my fav.

I started at 12 days old, the day after her cord fell off. I just used prefolds and covers for the first month or so but I have a friend who used bum genius from day 1 and her baby was 7lb 12 oz so they will fit a newborn.

thanks girls,

Edens a little fatty so not really worried about them fitting her, shes got a lovely little fat bum and thunder thighs already lol

i suppose its just the cleaning thats putting me of starting now really, with me, OH, a teenage daughter who likes to get changed a thousand times a day and leaves wet towels all over the place, then a 3 year old tomboy to do washing for then a little baby im a bit worried my house will end up lookin like a chinese wash house with little nappies hanging up drying all over the place!:dohh:

is it easier to do when they dont need changing so much? i remember using a little lamb one on my 3 year old daisy when she was a baby and it was so soggy and wet after an hour it put me of using them.:dohh:

may just do as some of you girls have suggested and buy a few and try them at home b4 venturing out with them.

thanks again :hugs:

Yeah Im not a fan of fitted nappies like little lambs they get too wet all over. Pocket nappies with fleece on the inside stay so dry they are amazing. I swear they keep her bum dryer than pampers!

As for washing I do one load of nappies every other day so its not too bad. I only have one baby tho.

I started as soon as he got to size 3disposables

I wish I had thought about it more when I was preg with Hayden...but I didn't get any until after he was born..but we started at 2mo, then my dad passed away and I went to TX for a few weeks for that with all 3 boys and so we used sposies...when we got back we went full time..he was 4mo then

Jack was 14 weeks old. I contemplated it when I was pregnant but DH didn't want to do it. At 14 weeks i just thought sod it, if I buy them he has to use them. He loves them now

we started right away.

The hospital actually used cloth and then when we got home we used a diaper service. After a couple months I felt organized and together enough to move to our own cloth and we've been doing that ever since.

I have used disposibles only for travel.

Halen's been in cloth nappies since about an hour after birth lol he's never had a sposie on. We used shaped terrys with a waterproof wrap on them and then he went into his BG's/Wonderoo's full time about 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to build up my stash of BG's as I hate hate HATE the Wonderoos. Biggest waste of money ever I wish I'd bought one to try instead of 8 in one go.

we started right away.

The hospital actually used cloth and then when we got home we used a diaper service. After a couple months I felt organized and together enough to move to our own cloth and we've been doing that ever since.

Wow! Was that a hospital in Edmonton?

we started right away.

Wow! Was that a hospital in Edmonton?

Yup, the Royal Alex uses cloth

I started when she was about 4 weeks, but i hated how bulky they looked on her, so i started using them again about 5 months and havent stopped since then :)
I think each type of nappy suits different people and babies so def get smaples from as many as you can.

I plan on using them from birth.. but have a few disposibles just in case (mainly for taking into hospital). I'm going to see how I go.. if they are too big then I'll use disposibles!

Findlay has been a clothbum since he was just under 4 weeks old. He was in hospital until he was 2 1/2 weeks old so we couldn't use cloth then and we got back up to Scotland when he was just over 3 weeks old and his first tiny tiny nappies arrived a few days later. We had nightmares finding nappies little enough as most nappies start from around 8lb whereas he's only 8lb 6oz now at 20 weeks old!

We use a variety of makes of fitted nappies and pocket nappies so don't restrict yourself to one type too early on as it might not work for your baby plus different nappies are good for different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->