At What age would you leave your kids alone

I think sometimes people forget that the maturity of a child depends an awful lot on how they are raised and that can differ between different countries.

I can't imagine leaving a four year old alone, or even an eight year old for long periods. I do occasionaly leave my 9 year old whilst I pop to the shop, which is 200m away, but we live on an army camp, so our situation is slightly different. However, in some countries, especially third world countries or developing countries, children are far more mature for their age and children as young as four would commonly be working in full time jobs, maybe operating indutrial machinery. I wonder how many Brits or Americans can imagine their four year olds being capable of that? (Not that I am saying it it right, but it does happen).

My oldest is almost 14. I will happily leave him alone or babysitting his two younger brothers, who are nine and six, either during the day or evenings, but not overnight. There is always a next door neighbour, plus nearby neigbours/friends he can contact if he needs to in an emergency but he has never had to. He is more than capable of looking after them and can do most meals and cooks the evening meal often anyway, which he enjoys and is capable of doing spag bol, cakes etc all by himself. He is a confident child and would know how to react in an emergency or situation like a powercut etc.

On the other hand, my step daughter is almost 18 and I wouldn't allow her to babysit as I don't feel she is mature or knowledgable enough at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->