At what point will you NOT let your child be naked?

XJessicaX

mum to two girls!
Reaction score
I thought of this question when answering another thread.

I have no issues with nakedness, I think I was naked on the beach up to about 8! Lots of videos of me running around in my back garden with friends naked and it seemed the norm 'back then'!

At what point would you cover your child up?

I think it depends on the context and location, but probably by school age he needs to know he can't trundle about the place with no clothes on! Public places, I would say children shouldn't be totally naked beyond 3/4, and even then it would only be while getting dry on the beach or that sort of thing. Why does anyone need to run around naked? Beaches are just as much fun while wearing a swimsuit or a t-shirt with no bottoms.

Probably very soon if I keep getting odd looking for nappy off time at 16 weeks! Lol ..... Seriously, probably 3/4, but like you I spent alot of of childhood naked so it seems, :)

Id say before school age when they start to be taught God knows what nowadays! :wacko:

Well my DD is a bit shy about exposing her tummy to people already at 3! I have no idea why, if we were in a public place then i would cover her from a young age probably 2yrs not for her but more so for i don't know who is looking and to be honest there are some very odd people about.

I think about school age, but I would probably just explain that its ok at home, just not in public. Mind you I know with being a teacher of the 4-6 age group that when it comes to changing for PE (and they all get changed together) they will be trying to compare pants and such :haha: especially the boys with comparing which super heros they have on them, and usually have to hurry them up since they want to walk around the classroom half dressed

I have also had to speek to several children about the i will show me mine if you show me yours game. One mum told her little boy when he did it that a duck would come and bite off his winkle :haha:. I think adults are hung up about it more than children

I watched a programme a few years ago about paedophiles within our society. It was quite a while ago as my 12 yr old was quite young , I never normally watch anything 'bad' but dh made me watch it.
Along Blackpool beach front there were 20+ paedos within a mile stretch... Was quite horrifying. I'm sure since then new laws have come in but that programme has never left my mind. So my sons will always be covered in public as much as possible, I know this doesn't stop how thier minds work but it makes me feel better.
Also they had a camera on a public loo where a paedo had entered and he wad in there fo a good hour and the amount of young boys that went in and out that loo on thier own was unreal. My son has always until recently been taken to the toilet as well. You just never know who's watching....

I have concerns about pedophiles so my son has always been covered in public. But at home he can be naked until he feels he wants to cover up.

Did you know that most sexual abuse happens in the home an statistically it is more likely to be a family member/friend of the family? Statistically most children know their abuser.
It concerns me that we spend so long teaching our children to be afraid of strangers and ignoring the fact that it's more likely to be daddy/big brother/uncle Joe...
I think it's more important to teach children that you will listen to them and believe them and to tell you if anyone makes them uncomfortable.

Depends on where...my ODSD still runs around the house naked at almost 10...we're all girls except for Daddy so I don't care. I'm not uncomfortable with nudity in the home...but will have some limits outside. We let my YDSD be topless in the backyard at 6

I don't see a need for my LO to be naked in public, he has some nappy time at home and that would only be with me and OH there.

I don't think theres anything wrong if people want to let their child be naked, but for me, I wouldn't want my child to. :thumbup:

I don't know tbh, I'll just see how I feel as he gets older. I don't know why he'd need to be naked anywhere though really :shrug:

I grew up in an Asian community (I'm white) and was always incredibly embarrassed about showing my body even when I was very young, though my mum was always saying I was crude. She still does now that I'm 20 :dohh:

I don't think I'd want to put limits on it myself but good luck to her trying to be naked out in public with mosquitos in the summer and freezing temps in the winter :haha: I just don't want her to think her body is something to be ashamed of and has to be covered up or anything like that.

In the home, whenever LO is uncomfortable with it. I remember my eldest was about 4/5 when she covered herself. In public, never as with all the weirdos in the world you never know...

I'll always cover him up.

Whenever I see that someone has written about sexual abuse being more likely to occur at home I feel like grabbing someone and shouting I am not a statistic. It's just one of those things that rile me up, like rubbing salt in a wound. Sorry.

On the beach? I probably wouldnt let them be naked at any age, which is quite sad, but there are some real weirdo's out there :(
At home/back garden, my nearly 7 year old runs around naked after a bath, paddling pool etc, and I dont care :)

I personally feel it looks normal for babies to be in diapers or naked but for older kids it just looks...idk weird. When my son is potty trained he will always be wearing clothes!

my dad used to tell my little brother if he ran around with his bits out "your sisters will steal it!!" :haha: apparently we wanted them and were jealous that we didnt have little boy bits.

I guess by about 3/4 I'll be teaching LO its not socially accepted to just run around naked all the time :) but i dont want her to end up shy about her body like I did/my sister did, so I won't be making a big deal out of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->