Ate rare steak

Hotbell312

Reaction score
Without thinking yesterday my husband gave me a very small piece of his med rare steak, that was rare in the middle. Less than a inch, it was very small, but I am worried sick. I am only 4 weeks and 3 days and don't have a OB apt until 7 weeks. Just need some advice. Did I accidently harm my baby?

i dont believe that early it could effect the baby even if the piece contained bacteria.

Not to mention i am sure you mom had tons of red meat when she was pregnant with you as they didnt know back then.

I thought the rules for eating rare food where to protect the mum and not baby? Due to a low immune system during pregnancy mum is at a higher risk of contracting listeria from foods such as rare meets and sushi x

Part of the concern of rare meat is toxoplasmosis. It can harm baby but is very rare.

I dont think there is any risk from rare steak as the infection is on the outside of the meat so as long as outside is cooked its fine. In UK it states its fine to eat in NHS guidelines.

Its when you eat med rare minced meat there can be a concern

Dang it, I didn't think that included steak. I only eat medium rare steak. I won't eat it any other way, it tastes like leather. I guess I'll be refraining from steak until this one comes out.

I think one bite on accident will be fine. I didn't realize this included beef, I eat my burgers medium rare to medium and had a big one of those two days ago. So far no cramping or bleeding so I think all is well. Just one unhappy momma as I love my rare beef. I'm sure your LO is fine.

the bacteria that cause the concern is only on the outside of a steak, so it would have been seared off even if it was a RARE steak.

I wouldn't personally suggest eating medium rare HAMBURGER, because the meat is ground up raw, and THEN cooked. But honestly, I think a medium rare steak, even if you ate the whole thing, would be perfectly fine.

I mean, I'm not a doctor. So take my thoughts as a grain of sand. But that's my opinion.

Think of it this way... How many French pregnant ladies weeks abstain from eating rare steak and stinky cheeses? Not many I reckon!

Am sure you'll be fine, I ate a whole medium rare fillet steak just the other night without thinking. It won't do us any harm every now and again x

I've eaten lunch meat while pregnant with my DD and DS. I tried to cook it when I could to kill the bacteria, but if we were out and it was all I had to eat, I ate it cold. It had absolutely no ill effects on the babies. I am positive that the small bite of steak will not hurt you or your baby. Also, as for toxoplasmosis, many women have already been exposed to it before getting pregnant, especially if you have cats or just simply touching raw meat and forgetting to wash your hands. If you've already been exposed to it, chances are you have already built an immunity to it and thus will pass the immunity onto your baby. The harm is if you've never been exposed to it and suddenly are during pregnancy but this is very rare. I only know this because I raise farm animals so I've talked to my veterinarian about this very topic and that is what she told me.

All those so called "rules" don't mean you're going to harm your baby. All the "risks" are there to non pregnant people too. I didn't even know these "rules" existed with my oldest til almost full term lol. I eat what I want. I just stop booze, cigarettes, and limit caffeine.

From what I understand, as long as the outside in seared well, it's fine.

As far as sushi goes, since I think someone brought it up, all the latest research says that sushi is totally safe as long as it's low in mercury.

I've eaten 3 medium rare steaks so far, I feel like the list of food you're not supposed to eat during pregnancy is a little bit over the top... My mum ate loads of stilton on a daily basis when she was pregnant with me and I don't have any physical health problems... There's always a risk but the stress of worrying about it can't be good for you either!! I've taken migraleve as well which my doctor told me I actually shouldn't be taking... I've just had my 12 week scan and everything seems to be okay so far..

just thought a would that when i having my lg a ate meduim steaks all the time and when they did my iron count a had a good high iron count which a always says it was all them med steaks never did me nor my lg any harm she is 4 now.

Steak is fine as long as its been seared on all edges. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->