Attacked by a cat. Do I need to be seen?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
My neighbour's kitten got out last night and got into my house this morning. When I tried to get the cat to return her, I was attacked. I have 4 puncture wounds on my thighs, my knuckles are bitten open, I have scratches on my forearms, and my palm is open in two places.

I last had a tetanus shot in 2009. Do I still need to be seen? Getting mixed answers and Google doesn't help. 22 weeks pregnant.

Attachments

• cat.PNG
    cat.PNG
    325.1 KB · Views: 55
Tetanus shots are usually good for 10 years, but it may be good to see your doctor (if nothing else, for a piece of mind).

Called my OBs office to get their opinion and the nurse said there was no doctor in the office and that due to the risk of infection, I should go in to be see sooner rather than later. My knuckle and scratch under my thumb are beginning to swell so just got to emerge.

Yes you should be seen ASAP to get antibiotics. I am a vet nurse so animal bites are not foreign to me. If we get bit by a dog we wash up really well and keep an eye on it. But if we get bit by a cat we are sent to the walk in clinic for antibiotics immediately. Cat bites are nasty, and if left untreated you may need to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Not trying to scare you, just get yourself looked at as soon as you can!

You might want to ask about toxoplasmosis risk too. What a wild critter that must have been!

Ive been attacked by my cat in all my pregnancies never had a problem. But given that it wasn't your cat and you dont know where shes been or if shes been immunized id get checked just in case. Can never be too cautious in pregnancy.
If the kitten comes to your house again, have your neighbour come collect it, it was probably very frightened.

I ended up going to emergency. My index knuckle began swelling and now my whole finger is swollen. I can't bend or flex it and it's in constant, stabbing, throbbing pain. I have a high pain tolerance and I want to cry..Doctor said to keep it clean and dry and gave me antibiotics.

Attachments

• swell.jpg
    swell.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24
if kitten punctured the joint capsule, that could explain the serious swelling. Your neighbor owes you big time for your catching their wild beast. If my cats had gotten into your house, worse thing you'd have to deal with is being loved to death - but such is the nature of Scottish Folds. Have you discussed the toxoplasmosis risk? I'd definitely have a chit chat about that as it's a real thing and a nasty one to boot.

No one has brought it up to me, no. I'm back in emerge this morning because my hand is swollen, feels like it's burning from the inside, streaky red, has no range of motion, and my finger literally feels like it's being torn from my hand. I can't have it in any position other than up near my face without being in excruciating pain. Had a NST done and baby is good. BP was 130/76 where my normal is 80/60.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 24
No one has brought it up to me, no. I'm back in emerge this morning because my hand is swollen, feels like it's burning from the inside, streaky red, has no range of motion, and my finger literally feels like it's being torn from my hand. I can't have it in any position other than up near my face without being in excruciating pain. Had a NST done and baby is good. BP was 130/76 where my normal is 80/60.

OH WOW! Yeah you're definitely infected! Hopefully they hit you with IV Antibiotics and seriously ice your hand down :( So sorry this is happening! Ask a nurse there about the toxoplasmosis threat and if there's a heightened chance due to the severity of the injury. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :hugs:

Sorry if it posts multiple times. My phone and this site don't like each other

Definitely infected. Fangitis or something like that.
In addition to the oral antibiotics, I have to get an intramuscular antibiotic shot for 5 days and on day 6, have my hand reassessed. If it's not better, or it gets worse, surgery to remove the infection.

Definitely infected. Fangitis or something like that.
In addition to the oral antibiotics, I have to get an intramuscular antibiotic shot for 5 days and on day 6, have my hand reassessed. If it's not better, or it gets worse, surgery to remove the infection.

That is horrible. At least in Canada you don't have to pay for treatment. I would hate to think what that would cost in the USA. Does your neighbor know, or at least apologized for her crazy cat?

OMG!!!! I hope you don't need surgery after all this! Your neighbor really needs to do SOMETHING! Next step? Canadian Tire to buy welder's gloves just in case that nutbar feline makes for an encore performance!

If that cat ever enters my house again, I'm staying outside til the neighbour gets it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->