Attacked by a two year old

That's very odd that you say ratios don't exist because I was working in a preschool in Scotland and the ratios were set by the SSSC.

Yeah dont mean they stick to them. :shrug: Chloe and Jaycee were in a private nursery from June 2009 until October 2011 at first in the baby room the ratio was 1:3 and most of the time it was strict.
As soon as they moved upstairs the ratio went to 1:4 but in the mornings I would drop them off and it was 1:8 and on a worse day it was 1:11 I refused to leave the girls until another member of staff came as there was way too many for one to control.

That is against the law though. I would be reporting that nursery.

That's very odd that you say ratios don't exist because I was working in a preschool in Scotland and the ratios were set by the SSSC.

Yeah dont mean they stick to them. :shrug: Chloe and Jaycee were in a private nursery from June 2009 until October 2011 at first in the baby room the ratio was 1:3 and most of the time it was strict.
As soon as they moved upstairs the ratio went to 1:4 but in the mornings I would drop them off and it was 1:8 and on a worse day it was 1:11 I refused to leave the girls until another member of staff came as there was way too many for one to control.

That is against the law though. I would be reporting that nursery.

It happens all over hun. Not just this nursery. I used to pick my girls up at lunchtime and there would be one or two nursery nurses to 15 children sleeping.
My nieces nursery was the same. I complained, more than once...

Sleeping ratios are different than waking ones. It's a shame that there is such a disregard for standards! What is the governing organization for your nurseries. We have the SSSC.

At the nursery Freya's due to attend its 1:3. I'll be watching to make sure that happens now! Although on the day we did an unannounced visit, there was 6 children in the baby room, and 3 staff, so on that day, it was moor like 1:2 x

Sleeping ratios are different than waking ones. It's a shame that there is such a disregard for standards! What is the governing organization for your nurseries. We have the SSSC.

Not here there not. I enquired.

Here shows a report Ofsted had with regards to the nursery and its ratios.

Summary of complaint
On 21 July 2011, we received a complaint that raised concerns about staff: child ratios, supervision arrangements, and the suitability of the environment and a lack of developmental records. We needed to investigate the concern to see whether the setting was meeting the Early Years Foundation Stage welfare requirements relating to ‘suitable people, ’Suitable premises, environment and equipment and ‘Organisation’’. In particular, these include requirements that state: Staffing arrangements must be organised to ensure safety and to meet the needs of the children. Outdoor and indoor spaces, furniture, equipment and toys, must be safe and suitable for their purpose. Providers must undertake sensitive observational assessment in order to plan to meet young children’s individual needs. Providers must plan and provide experiences which are appropriate to each child’s stage of development as they progress towards the early learning goals. We carried out an unannounced visit to the premises. We found that the provider was unable to provide full evidence of how staff: child ratios are met and how staff members are deployed within the setting. The environment and equipment were found to be suitable with the exception of an unlocked door to laundry room. The manager is in the process of conducting and internal investigation regarding the supervision of children and implementing revised systems and re-training staff to ensure observations of children’s achievements are used to inform planning so that activities are tailored to meet children’s individual needs

I'm glad to say my children do not go anymore, its changed management 3 times in 3 years and since the new lot have taken over is absolute rubbish.

I dont think the parents did anything wrong by releasing it to the press! Why shouldnt they draw attention to the life this little girl has because clearly there is an issue at home.

Draw the public's attention so that what happens? So that she can be stigmatized? So that she can be the subject of gossip?

The child's behaviour should have been reported to the authorities as clearly it is indicative of things happening at home, and therefore her parents/careres should be investigated and the behaviour itself rectified.

What has putting this matter in the press achieved? For goodness sake..this girl is 2, and already she is in the press for hitting another child, talk about setting her up for failure.

How unfair it is for her, truly, how unfair.

Whats going on in the home of the girl who attacked the little girl though? is she being abused or her parents being aggressive to her? does any one know her side ? I understand I would be raging to but no need for them to label the girl with names like I read earlier this week.

I dont think the parents did anything wrong by releasing it to the press! Why shouldnt they draw attention to the life this little girl has because clearly there is an issue at home.

Draw the public's attention so that what happens? So that she can be stigmatized? So that she can be the subject of gossip?

The child's behaviour should have been reported to the authorities as clearly it is indicative of things happening at home, and therefore her parents/careres should be investigated and the behaviour itself rectified.

What has putting this matter in the press achieved? For goodness sake..this girl is 2, and already she is in the press for hitting another child, talk about setting her up for failure.

How unfair it is for her, truly, how unfair.

It shows families what kind of things happen to children who have things going on at home. It makes families aware of what can happen. There's plenty of reasons I could say.
Why is it only the negative people are drawing from this?

Did it say what was going on at home, if anything? Not sure we should make assumptions.
Not all children have problems related to 'home'. Maybe the child has an undiagnosed learning or behavioural difficulty- maybe the family have been trying to help her. We don't know.
Like I said before it can be very difficult to get the right and enough support for young children if parents or schools have concerns.

Whats going on in the home of the girl who attacked the little girl though? is she being abused or her parents being aggressive to her? does any one know her side ? I understand I would be raging to but no need for them to label the girl with names like I read earlier this week.

I asked the same question and got told that I was blaming the parents :shrug::shrug::shrug: I was told it could be a hearing problem or a behavioral one and I do agree with that, but I also think the home needs to be looked at very closely also. I am not blaming her parents but if nothing physical or mental is found to be wrong with this child then I am sorry she has witnessed or been a part of something that has triggered this behavior . 2yrs old's don't do that to other kids and inflict that much damage I have never seen that and I raised 3 boys who fought all the time, but never ever did that much damage and not at age 2 that is for sure, maybe others have seen it, I never have. . She was extremely violent and I feel awful for her and the victim and I do agree for anyone to label a child anything is terrible and says a lot about their character. Very sad..

I asked the same question and got told that I was blaming the parents :shrug::shrug::shrug: I was told it could be a hearing problem or a behavioral one and I do agree with that, but I also think the home needs to be looked at very closely also. I am not blaming her parents but if nothing physical or mental is found to be wrong with this child then I am sorry she has witnessed or been a part of something that has triggered this behavior . 2yrs old's don't do that to other kids and inflict that much damage I have never seen that and I raised 3 boys who fought all the time, but never ever did that much damage and not at age 2 that is for sure, maybe others have seen it, I never have. . She was extremely violent and I feel awful for her and the victim and I do agree for anyone to label a child anything is terrible and says a lot about their character. Very sad..
But there is no details from the other side so what are we meant to think ? she could have any number of special needs to but with no info people like me get concerned for this wee girl to. There must be two sides to this. We only see one.

But there is no details from the other side so what are we meant to think ? she could have any number of special needs to but with no info people like me get concerned for this wee girl to. There must be two sides to this. We only see one.

I would think they would have started to look into seeing if maybe there is something wrong and if she has a special need, cause I would be scared not to try to find out. What if she is perfectly fine then there is something happening. The only time I would blame the parents is if something was going on in their home and they know about it and it is not being stopped like domestic violence or sexual abuse ( I hope that is not the case) . Sometimes when someone is being abused the parents don't know maybe it is someone else involved, who knows, but it has to be investigated. I just have never seen a 2yr old inflict that much damage . I really hope this is being investigated properly and throughly and this girl is ok . It is sad for all involved.:cry:

I just wanted to clarify the ratios in the uk for 3 year olds is 1:8 which is too many imo but I dont make the guidelines and for sleeping they are different :'ve been left to monitor 12 sleeping toddlers by myslef before and had as many as 2 or 3 awake before another staff member came in to help me (I had to do cleaning jobs at the same time) luckily I dont work at that nursery anymore but it its common practise to have a single member of staff with multiple children unfortunatly.

As for the attack I dont see how she couldve done so much damage if they were being monitored properly. Usually if child is identified as being violent or a biter or anything like that then a member of staff runs intevention to prevent anything happening as well as all other members of staff being aware of the dituation and if you know that two children are likely to have an altercation then they are kept away from wach other or closely monitored, because you can usually see somethings going on from they go in for the first bite let alone another two plaus a punch in the face.

As for the 2 year old girl they shouldn't have been in the same room and they need to have her assessed and try one to one activities to see if that keeps her out of trouble as well as trying to find out what her triggers are.

I feel for the three year old and her mother I can see why she went to the media to try and raise awareness but expelling the gil wont help either,

As for the staffing you cant predict exactly what time parents will bring in theri children so managers usually try to put more staff on late shifts so that they can cover ratios if parents are late but at the same time juggling answering the dooor, setting up and chldren coming early isnt fun either especially as a lot of nurseries are sacking staff to 'cut costs' by barely covering ratios but thats another debate.

The ratio for babies to 2 years is 1:3 and 2 to 3 years are 1:4. I'm not sure what it is for 3 but 8 sounds like way too many to me. I dont think private nurseries are 1:8 I think schools can be. Reading on Ofsteds website they are classed as completely different.
That's going by Ofsted...

All the nurseries I've worked in are 1:8 for 3+ and when learning ratios thats what were taught.

They are very strict with ratios here...VERY strict. They won't ever go over, because I have pleaded for daycares to take my child an extra day once in a blue moon...they won't. It can shut their business down.

At James nursery it's 1:3 and they're very strict with it. There also has to be at least one qualified person in the room at all times. If we're going to drop james off later or pick him up earlier we have to let them know o they can re arrange staff.

Why should the little girl be allowed in the nursery? She has already attacked 11 of the children there, which being honest, is nearly a full nursery class in some instances.

She may only be two but her needs clearly outweight that of which the nursery can supply for her.

It's not fair to put other children in danger just because of her age, that 3 year old was almost blinded. The little two year old needs something more suited to her, which this nursery isn't.

Taking her out isn't being 'harsh' or 'mean', it's the appropriate course of action to getting her the help she needs and deserves.

Why should the little girl be allowed in the nursery? She has already attacked 11 of the children there, which being honest, is nearly a full nursery class in some instances.

She may only be two but her needs clearly outweight that of which the nursery can supply for her.

It's not fair to put other children in danger just because of her age, that 3 year old was almost blinded. The little two year old needs something more suited to her, which this nursery isn't.

Taking her out isn't being 'harsh' or 'mean', it's the appropriate course of action to getting her the help she needs and deserves.
I agree with this also. Girl needs help. Other children cant help her or enjoy nursary with her. That situation is helping no one.

I would blame the nursery, I have worked in a nursery and also as a teacher in a reception class, they should have been making sure this did not happen especially to this extent poor child. The 2 year old parents and nursery should be working together on behaviour, before I went on maternity I was working with one parent who had problems with child at home but was fine at school. Nurseries have high staff to child ratio they should have stopped the incident quicker

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->