Attending college during 2nd/3rd trimester

Macandcheese

Reaction score
Hello, I am 21 weeks pregnant and start classes tomorrow. 3 of my classes are online so im not too concerned with those. I have an anatomy/physiology course I have to attend on campus and im nervous about it. I'll be 36 weeks by the time the semester is over and I just cant stop thinking things like what if the baby comes early, how am I going to sit comfortably in class, will I have enough energy to focus etc... I thought about putting it off until after the baby comes but I have so much free time right now that I wont have once the baby comes. Plus I am so close to being done with my prenursing courses that I just want to get everything done with asap. Has anyone else attended or is attending college during late pregnancy?

I will be around 36 weeks when I finish my degree too (unless my next scan makes my consultant really push for a repeat c-section and then it is closer to 35 weeks). I am a bit worried about early labour too, I am high risk for pre-eclampsia because I had it with my first son which also means I am at a higher risk of premature delivery if I did get it again.

I would say have a think about what you feel is best for you to do. But my first son was 4 months old when I started this course and I personally strongly believe that being a student with a baby/toddler is much harder than being a pregnant student.

I would go for it now! It's such an accomplishment to have those classes under your belt before the baby arrives! I promise you that it will be harder to get through classes once your baby is here.

Good luck!

I would say just do your best to stay healthy and active and you should be fine. I'm a PhD student, so I don't have classes anymore (I just do research) but to be honest, the workload is manageable and as long as you don't have to carry anything heavy to class or in a lab, you should be fine. We've been taking our antenatal classes for the past few weeks, which are 2.5 hours twice a week, with an hour drive each way, and it's totally doable. The worst part at this point is actually just being tired, but if all you have to do is sit in class and study at home at a desk, it's not too bad. You'll do just fine. Just try to stay active and healthy and get as much rest as you can if you get tired later on.

If you feel physically able to keep going then I'd say do it!! You'll be glad you did once baby arrives. I'm working until 38 weeks full time (I work in an office) so that involves lots of sitting etc but at the moment I'm still coping fine. If things get too tough you can always stop. Good luck!

I think you will be fine so long as pregnancy is going smooth, i work in a nursery (you need a lot of energy all day 8-6 at night) and you have a lot of hands on work like emptying the whole buildings bins, cleaning the rooms, looking after the children, putting up displays, reading stories, sweeping, mopping etc and 3 recent pregnant ladies worked until 36 weeks and another worked til 34 because she didn't think she would make it to 36 (just a feeling she had) and good thing she didn't because she went into labour on what would have been her last day at work before her original mat leave date :thumbup: She changed her leaving date at 32 week explaing she had been getting braxton hicks quite early and she was convinced she will be going early and she did! She came in to visit and was saying how "imagine if i went into labour here!!" because she had a spontaneous birth where one minute she was just dilating and the next baby was here :O If you feel you can do it go for it! better to have qualifications under your belt before baby is here, my sister n brother always said they would go back to college once babies were here but they never did they just got jobs to provide for babies x

If you have the opportunity then you should at least try. 36 weeks with your first you may find that you're not actually that tired. You will be able to rest around classes, at weekends. Get work done well in advance. With a child to deal with as well it's a whole different kettle of fish. Plus if you know that's when you're finishing, a lot of ladies work up to 36/37 weeks so it's no different to that. You can see the end in sight, and hopefully you'll be able to say you passed your course and concentrate on little one before you move onto your next step/stage in life. Good luck xx

Youll be fine hun.. Im in school and im fine.. Keep at it..dont put it on hold:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->