attitude to breastfeeding in public in UK?

I've never had anything but positive responces to breastfeeding in public. I find I get smiles of approval from other women, and a few glances from men when I can tell they're trying to work out if I'm breastfeeding or just holding the baby!

I've never had any negative comments and I'm feeding a 2 year old. ;) You don't see it much though, as the percentage of women who carry on breastfeeding past 6 weeks is minuscule.

I've only ever had one person give me a funny look..and that's because I was sitting next to her OH.
I had one weird old man try talking to me. I ignored him and he just stood there as I tried to latch her on as disretely as possible. As soon as he realised what I was doing he moved on.

Most people tend to get embarrased and just look away or leave the room. Not my problem lol,

I have not had any trouble whatsoever, and I live in a town where bf rates are below average. I have breastfed in pubs, in cafés, and even at a beer festival. I wear suitable clothing so that I don't have to expose my entire breast, but I guess now and then someone might see a flash of nipple if he doesn't latch on right first time. I couldn't care less.
I don't notice other women breastfeeding in public much, so I guess that others don't really notice me much either. Certainly noone has ever been rude enough to pass comment. In any case, your right to breast feed your baby wherever you like is protected by the 2010 Equality Act.

My friend breastfed and she's do it if we stopped for a coffee or something whilst we were out shopping. If he needed it and we were out and about, she'd just stop, sit on a bench or something and feed him. I've been with her whilst she's done it a lot and no one has ever said anything, given her looks etc.

On the other hand - you can get some delightfully judgemental comments if you dare whip a bottle out in public... while you just get the snotty looks with a boob - with a bottle you can get the full on lecture from the neighbourhood busybodies (and yes I have had this).

Fortunately with bottles you can always mentally ram them up certain orifices - can't do that as easily with a breast (unless you've got one of those Madonna cone bras on I guess).

I've never had any looks or comments. People kind of mind their own bussiness, they really don't have time to worry about how I'm feeding my baby!

I've never had a negative comment, feel sorry for any person that trys that one!

Had a few ladies come up to me saying lovely it is to see a baby being breastfed and well done.

I have only seen 1 or 2 women feeding outside of a baby room in my town but when I go to Brighton I see people breast feeding all the time. In my neighbourhood in my town the rates are so low.

On the other hand - you can get some delightfully judgemental comments if you dare whip a bottle out in public... while you just get the snotty looks with a boob - with a bottle you can get the full on lecture from the neighbourhood busybodies (and yes I have had this).

Fortunately with bottles you can always mentally ram them up certain orifices - can't do that as easily with a breast (unless you've got one of those Madonna cone bras on I guess).

River was ff and we got no negative comments, they'd have got the same reaction as with Willow which would be STFU lol.

A couple of old ladies smiled at me once but that's the only reaction I've ever had bf in public. I don't think I ever noticed anyone bf before I had kids but now I notice it more often, usually in cafes or food courts. I'm sure I only notice it because I'm half looking for it now.

This made me giggle.

I've never had an issue with BFing in public, in fact yesterday I fed DS in his sling whilst checking at at tesco. Got a few quizzical glances but that was all. nothing unfriendly.

....However in that same tesco I got proper evil look from some woman for buying formula. If looks could kill I'd have had a heart attack then and there. I did think of going up and explaining that I'm tandem feeding and the one bottle of formula a day I give my son gives me enough of a break to carry on tandem feeding, but I didn't think the judgemental bitch was worth it and quite frankly it was nothing to do with her whether I FF or BF, hire a wet nurse or feed my child a diet of burger, chips and cola.

Out of our group of 6 mummies and babies, 4 were able to breastfeed. We've been to all sorts of places with them; pubs, cafes, parks, houses, soft play......there's never been a single comment made. One of the babies is 11 months old and has always been a milk monster so is fed wherever she is. It's aways been fine. People tend to not notice anyway. As a bottle feeder I only feel jealous that we never managed breastfeeding! But never any embarrassment at seeing someone else feeding their baby :)

I've never seen another woman BF in public where I'm from, but would love to see it. Hopefully I will be able to BF my next child (couldnt with Alice :( ) and I cant wait to NIP :)

If anyone gives you hassle tell em to bog off :grr:

If I could of breastfed, I'd of happily done so in public.

In my 22 years on this planet, I have only ever witnessed a lady feeding her baby once, a couple weeks ago in the post office. I don't think one person looked at her strangely, including the person serving her.

Seriously, don't be embarrassed. :flower: You're doing your job, and if anyone even comes up and says something tell them to jog on. If I was with a friend and she started breastfeeding and someone came up and said something I'd happily kick them in the shin for her!

It's ridiculous some peoples attitudes. Don't like it, don't look. Simple.

This made me giggle.

I've never had an issue with BFing in public, in fact yesterday I fed DS in his sling whilst checking at at tesco. Got a few quizzical glances but that was all. nothing unfriendly.

....However in that same tesco I got proper evil look from some woman for buying formula. If looks could kill I'd have had a heart attack then and there. I did think of going up and explaining that I'm tandem feeding and the one bottle of formula a day I give my son gives me enough of a break to carry on tandem feeding, but I didn't think the judgemental bitch was worth it and quite frankly it was nothing to do with her whether I FF or BF, hire a wet nurse or feed my child a diet of burger, chips and cola.

You know what, this has made me realise that when I was buying formula for my bubzy, some women gave me EVILS.

I thought it was because I was taking too long looking at stuff.

Soooo... What, am I not meant to feed my child? Do some people realise that maybe we wanted to BF but couldn't? Or maybe some women are uncomfortable with BF?

I fear one day I may end up slapping someone.

:coffee:

Part of it is geographical.
BF is more 'accepted' in the south of England than in the north.

It is perfectly legal to feed in ANY public place in the UK. It is illegal for someone to ask a BF woman to leave a premise due to their feeding.
HOwever having said this, yes, there is still sme public criticism out there for NIP. I believe it s usually by ignorant people and people that do not have children.

I do think a degree a discretion should be used when feeding. Ie not 'flopping' the boob out in full in the middle of a restaurant. However, at the same time I think there is no reason to be ashamed/ embarrassed etc etc when NIP.

I have to no negative experiences of NIP on,y positives ones.

So in answer to your question, feed away, wherever you are and don't take crap from anyone!!

I have still yet to see any one breastfeeding where I am. I know a few exist from on-line but I have not seen any one in public. My mum says I can feed in the loo of the shopping centre if I go out . *she said that when they where just born to*.

Part of it is geographical.
BF is more 'accepted' in the south of England than in the north.

It is perfectly legal to feed in ANY public place in the UK. It is illegal for someone to ask a BF woman to leave a premise due to their feeding.
HOwever having said this, yes, there is still sme public criticism out there for NIP. I believe it s usually by ignorant people and people that do not have children.

I do think a degree a discretion should be used when feeding. Ie not 'flopping' the boob out in full in the middle of a restaurant. However, at the same time I think there is no reason to be ashamed/ embarrassed etc etc when NIP.

I have to no negative experiences of NIP on,y positives ones.

So in answer to your question, feed away, wherever you are and don't take crap from anyone!!

I think the reason it's more accept in the south (say London, for instance) is because everyones all too consumed in their own life to see what anyone else is doing. It's why we always bump into each other and get angry because the other wasn't looking where they're going.

So with negatives comes positives I suppose :rofl:

I've NIP in quite a few places around here and I see women nursing quite often. I like to think that nobody would ever say anything to me but sadly I think there will always be a few ignorant types, probably here as much as anywhere. Hope you have a lovely trip when you come over xx

i've seen several people breastfeeding in public where i am, but there seems to be quite a high proportion of breastfeeding mums (i'd say around 50% up to 6 months or so) in my village (shame i wasn't one of them first time round :().

however, i can be feeding lauren & often people don't notice. for example, my sister, who finds breastfeeding disgusting, was sitting opposite me, chatting to me while i latched lauren on & fed her, for 5 minutes without noticing. it was only when my mum asked me if i was breastfeeding lauren (to see my sister's reaction!) that my sister jumped up & excused herself!

i nip whenever i need to. at the weekend i fed lauren in the ergo while i was queuing in the bank. i even nip'ed while sorting out a change of address with the bank clerk!

xx

I BF my son for a year and not once did I experience any negative attitudes to me bf in public. I had a Bebe Au Lait feeding cover which meant I felt comfortable and if anyone looked at me I just gave them a beaming smile and they either smiled back or looked away. I thought I had never seen anyone bf in public but once you are doing it you notice others bf in public everywhere! It is just that most bf mums are very discreet and the ones who pop their whole boob out are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->