Australian mums- First scan?

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
When will it be? I want to go for one as soon as possible, just to make sure everything is ok, but my mother said they won't order one until I'm about 8 weeks? I know the heartbeat usually can't be found until about 6+3... I'm just so scared this is going to end in m/c again :cry:
Hopefully going to get my levels checked on Monday, do they check every 2 or 3 days? I'm just dying to know everything is ok :cry:

I was booked in for my dating scan with my OB at 10 weeks and the dating scan showed I was 8+5. As far as I know it's fairly normal for the first scan to be around this time.

I think doctors are all a little different with scans. With both of mine I had dating scans around 6-7 weeks, but I also know a lot only have the first one at 12 weeks to check everything is ok and for downs etc.

And a bit off topic, I know in Melbourne all my scans were covered by medicare, but now I'm in WA and my 12 week one I have to pay for, not sure what QLD is like!! Wish they'd have the same nation wide

Hmm, well the heath care system in Queensland is breaking down, thanks to our awesome new Prime minister >.<
I know I want to get my dating scan as soon as possible. But I want to be able to hear the heartbeat and waiting until I'm around 7 weeks sounds almost impossible :cry: This is all just so crazy. I wish there was some little BFP fairy that could come and answer all your questions and sooth your nerves about all these crazy concerns we have, haha

I go to a bulk billing medical centre where you pretty much see the first dr available (changing to a regular dr shortly!) First dr who saw me at just 4 weeks said the first scan I would have would be at 12 weeks as I was so sure on my dates! I was so disappointed!!! I went back for bloods at about 7 weeks and when I got those results the dr I saw said he would send me for an ultrasound so I wasn't going to argue with him :) saw baby at 8w1d and measuring exactly right! Saw the little heart pulse too :) and that scan was covered by Medicare, the 12 week one isn't!

I don't see why they can't all be bulk billed? It's so ridiculous! I live independently from my parents and have since I was 15. How am I supposed to be able to come up with the money for this sort of stuff when all I can get is Centrelink because I study full time?! Why should my baby and me suffer just because I can't work at the moment? Urgh, the health care over here is a lot better than some countries but it's certainly not to the standard it should be!
Rant over :p
I wasn't able to find a doctor that bulk bills that could take me within the week. OH is going to see if he can make an appointment around where he lives so we can go together. He knows how much I hate getting blood taken, he said he would get a blood test with me if it makes me feel better :haha:
Feeling a lot more relaxed about the pregnancy today. 4+5 was when I lost the last one though, so my nerves are getting a little shaky... Every time I go to the bathroom now, I give my belly a little rub and tell my little sea monkey how much I appreciate them sticking around. Feels a little dorky but it doesn't make it any less truthful. Only 248 more to go :p

if you go through the public system you don't have to pay a cent, for anything. Isn't it just if you use a private OB you have out of pocket costs?

That's what I thought too. Then I tried a few places around where I'm living at the moment that I know aren't private, yet they're still asking for $150, just to tell me something I already know! Oh but it's alright, they say. I get $48 of it back on Medicare :haha: I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere. I had a falling out with OH last night. My ex has started dramas because he has realised that I'm not coming back this time. I was yelling and screaming and crying. Trying to be extra calm today, I really hope last night didn't stress bub out too much :'(
5 weeks tomorrow (by my calculations, I'm going off my O date), so I'm going to try really, really hard to find somewhere, I don't care how much travel is involved haha. Not keen for the blood test, I just want my scan :'(

Hi most places now charge for ultrasounds regardless of whether you are public or private. I just had a scan in melbourne on the 9th and it cost me $150 with 48 back from Medicare. I know with private obs they usually scan you at most appointments which is included in their costs.
You could try the hospital you plan to deliver in and say you've has some spotting, they clinic might do a scan for you. Otherwise the best. Indicators are bloods taken 2-3 days apart. Hope you find some comfort somehow

If you know your dates and you're going public you probably won't get a scan until 12 weeks (which you will pay for). A friend going through midwife care at public hospital only got the 20wk scan at no charge.

Ob's usually scan at first appointment but I've had to go to ultrasound place for 12 and 20 week scans so trained tech could do them. This pregnancy I had dating scans bulk billed because I didn't know dates and I was bleeding from the day I got my bfp.

I personally find the blood tests stressful (both pregnancies mine has been slow rising) and declined a second round of them this pregnancy.

It's frustrating but you haven't been given any reason to worry so try not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->