autism awareness month

Discussion in 'Special Needs Support' started by Adanma, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Adanma

Adanma Mom to 2 lovely boys

Happy Autism Awareness month! :happydance:

Adanma

2. Me_Mi

Me_Mi Well-Known Member

to you too! your boys are adorable by the way, I have three boys and my eldest (13) has asperger's.

3. Adanma

Oh the teens! Have to say, I'm not really looking forward to that. Right now they are so cute and funny, but the naughtiness is on it's way I know it! Are you guys doing anything special for April? We are going to an autism walk later this month.

Adanma

4. Me_Mi

Me_Mi Well-Known Member

There is going to be a "day at the park"/potluck event for autism awareness that I plan on taking the whole family to. Not only do I have a son witbh aspergers, I am also studying to become a special education teacher, so maybe I will meet some influential people in the community as well :)

The teen years are scary for any kid, with ASD or not. our middle child is 11, and acts more like a moody teen than he does! I have noticed that with the oldest, puberty has actually calmed him down quite a bit. He is mainstreamed for most of his classes and only has issues at school once in a while...maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks which is a huge improvement. I never thought that puberty could make any teen improve in the behavior/attitude department, but hey im not complaining :) lol

5. Nic1107

Nic1107 Mommy to a toddler

The teen years brought about a huge improvement in some of my ASD symptoms; when I was a kid I so often didn't know what the hell was going on around me and what I was supposed to do... when I hit high school, something "clicked" and I could finally follow the plot :happydance: lol. Myself and most adults on the spectrum that I know behaved ourselves quite better than our peers did as teens too. :wink:

6. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

I done a skydive today :D

7. Adanma

skydive!? I wouldn't ever. Too chicken. Well it's goo dto hear that teh teen years may be a bit better. All I know is that I was just awful and naughty so I assumed my kids would be the same! lol! fx I'm wrong!

Adanma

8. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

Yeah I will add some pics later, the money raised was for the National Autistic Society and also awareness!

"Eoz" from BnB came to watch and took loads of pics hehe x

9. Eoz

Eoz Mummy of 5! Eeek!

And I have to say you were amazing darling so calm and brave xx

10. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

does anyone know if ther eis much gonig on in the UK for autism awarness month? my Son has suspected Aspergers, ADHD and OCD but never had any help :(

11. Adanma

lynne no idea about anything in UK! Sorry! I hope you are able to find some resources and support though. It's important for you and for your son to have services avaliable. Good luck to you

Adanma

12. velvetina

velvetina Mum of 3

Wow a skydive that is amazing, well done, that is something else!!!!

We are in the teens with my eldest asd, and it has brought a lot of moodiness, something we never used to have. I guess a part of that is normal teen years, but the autism dominates and I have to remind myself how I felt as a teenager.

x

13. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

don't worry about it seems there is never anything where i live :cry: