Autism: Your child's obssessions?

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just a bit curious about your children obsessions! My son's obsessions are quite unusual for a kid his age (3)...

His obsession now is a 1966 movie called Grand-Prix. It's LONG (3h+), boring... lol! Now he just quotes the movie dialogues in our everyday life... He loves re-enacting parts of the movie!

His other obsession is puzzles. He loves doing them. He can do a 48pieces puzzle within 5 minutes, it's unreal!

He's quite obsessed with shoes and slippers as well. And of course hot wheels, wheels too.

xxx

My son is obsessed with maps, and star constellations, he actually knows them all. He knows the longitude and latitude of random countries and citys! The thing is though, learning this would be a chore to anyone else but he actually does it for fun.

He loves history and watching documentrys on the warships in WW2.

My son also re-enacts parts of his film and he has echolalia so he often just repeats what he hears, quoting randomly like you said.

Oh and like your son, he likes puzzles the harder the better and last of all...shaun the sheep! lol xx

Forgot to add, he loves letters and numbers and shapes too. It used to be crazy with the letters, he would take scrabble letters and align his name and the alphabet.

Midnight Fairy, how old is your boy? xxx

Trains trains trains! And big rigs. And recently tornadoes. He has these boring old train magazines with articles about coal and stuff and he just love it! He's 6.

Adanma

my daughter loves princesses...but what girl at age 6 doesn't?!!

My son is obsessed with maps, and star constellations, he actually knows them all. He knows the longitude and latitude of random countries and citys! The thing is though, learning this would be a chore to anyone else but he actually does it for fun.

He loves history and watching documentrys on the warships in WW2.

My son also re-enacts parts of his film and he has echolalia so he often just repeats what he hears, quoting randomly like you said.

Oh and like your son, he likes puzzles the harder the better and last of all...shaun the sheep! lol xx

Ethan does this alot! He can repeat anything after hearing it just once, but we have never been informed that this has a name :growlmad: I just googled echolalia and it fits Ethan perfectly!

Sorry for hijacking, i was just stunned by seeing that this had a name :flower:

Thats ok Leah, we didnt find out till about 3 mths ago. Doctors dont seem to pay much attention it to ! x grr

My son is obsessed with petes dragon (the Disney movie) he knows all the words to it & watches it over & over again all day everyday & he likes to line things like pennys, cards or bouncy balls up along the floor he knows exactly how many of each he has & notices if one is missing or has been replaced (although he has loads!) & finaly he is super obsessed with jigsaw puzzles & could do the same one all day! xx

acholalia sp? isn't always a bad thing. makena learned alot that way!

Its not a bad thing but I heard it was more prominent age 3 ish but M's has actually only got worse the last year or so x

Now that you've mentioned echolalia... I've started noticing it on Josh. I just thought it was ''normal'' for him to repeat words... Sometimes he repeats it over and over and over for 2-5 minutes... Didn't make much of it! You are right though, he's just turned 3 and it seems he's started doing it a few weeks ago.

My son repeats teh last word of every sentence. Like If I'm reading him a book after each sentence he'll say the last word under his breath. He does that with TV too. He has recently started saying random words under his breath in the middle of talking too! I'm going to look this up and see about it since no one has ever given it any type of name. He has a tic disorder NOS diagnosis which changed from possible tourettes, so I was thinking maybe it was a tic. hmmm....

Adanma

Kayden is 7 nearly 8 and is not diagnosed yet but the wheels are in motion.

He has had quite a few obsessions and i now think it may actually be OCD related.

He started when he was two with an obsession with the number 4. he noticed 4's where you wouldn't even think of looking!

His main obsession over the years have been the human body, which started with a book. Space which also started with a book and Lego.

The new one is him saying 'what's two add two, four, i win' He says it really fast and has been doing it all the time for weeks and it is quite annoying. I hope it passes fast!

He is also obsessed with his breathing on a night.

Hi there
My son is 4 and half and loves the disney Peter Pan film (cartoon version) he doesnt speak much, or laugh usually but this makes him babble away and giggle with delight!! its lovely for us to hear him :) He also loves music and hearing songs and tidying up! x

jemsy that's adorable!

my son loves polar express and recites the lines as he watches. We got him a CD of someone reading the book and he goes to sleep listening to it every night.

Adanma

Trains and books. He will read constantly but the same ones over and over. His obessions do change now and then but whatever it is at the time we know about it

jemsy that's adorable!

my son loves polar express and recites the lines as he watches. We got him a CD of someone reading the book and he goes to sleep listening to it every night.

Adanma

I was going to suggest this, fab idea. My son listens to storys on the cd every night. Its so calming for him xx

my son is a drawer!! he draws everything! he is a fantastic artist! He repeats things over and over again and will hit himself in the head or face over and over!
There are loads of other things as well. lol....its hard to remember them all becasue they have become normal every day life kind of things

My son has an obsession with wheels and anything that spins, not that unusual really. He will also watch the same episode of a programme over and over and over, he currently has an episode of 'Strawberry shortcake' on tv that I have had to rewind and replay for him at least 12 times (so far). xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->