Ava Lily...

Suze

Mummy to Ava & Oscar
Reaction score
Friday (26.6.09) evening and I was still stressed as anything as my baby was 3 days late and I was beginning to think I'd had a phantom pregnancy :rofl:

Friday night around 10 pm I started with 'different' feeling Braxton Hicks, there was discomfort underneath my bump and a little round my back but I wasn't sure if I was imagining things!! They were about every half hour. By about midnight they were increasing in frequency and we thought "this must be it!". I had a bath at 2am and this eased things and I decided to go to bed knowing I'd need all the energy I could get! I didn't really sleep as was aware of the pains and at about 5am I had a definite bloody show. I got the TENS machine on, took some paracetamol and started timing contractions, made sure everything was ready and phoned my Mum!!

By lunch time on Saturday the contractions were about every 4 minutes and lasting almost a minute each. By 4pm they were every 3 minutes and so we had some food and decided it was hospital time!

Can you imagine my disappointment when on examination I was only 2cm dilated! I was really surprised at this, as I’d been 1.5cm 24 hours earlier at my sweep. The midwife thought the baby was also in the back to back position. So we decided to go home thinking it was going to be a long night!

I got back in the bath at home but by 7pm my OH decided we needed to go back to the hospital – I think he was quite disturbed at the noises coming from me! I got myself dressed and then I felt a trickle….it was bloody and had a really strong sweet almondy smell! I put a pad on and we got to the hospital at 7.30pm.

We were taken straight away to a delivery room and I was given the Entonox…it was great initially but it made me think my voice sounded funny! The staff were doing handover and I was told that the midwife coming on shift would examine me after the handover. In the meantime I sat on the birthing ball furiously sucking on the gas and air and every time I tried (it really hurt!) to stand up my waters would gush down my trouser legs onto my feet!
8.30pm we met Angie the midwife who suggested that I firstly got changed into my nightie and then asked if I needed the loo so off we went to the loo but I found it really difficult to walk and was trailing bloody water/amniotic fluid as I went!

8.45pm: We got back into the delivery room and the mw started unwrapping the ‘delivery pack’ we’d been told about in the antenatal class but I thought I must have been mistaken as we’d only been in the hospital just over an hour and we’d been led to believe that once the midwife opens this you’re just about to deliver!
So the midwife asked if I felt I might want to push….she still hadn’t done the examination but obviously I was ready. I said no I just wanted some pain relief, I still had the TENS machine stuck to my back which she suggested wouldn’t help one bit now and that I take it off!!
9pm : I had an utter panic attack, I can just remember thrashing from side to side in the bed and both the mw and my OH telling me to calm down. I think this was my most scary part of the delivery, I didn’t think I could do it and that I was going to die! I think this was ‘transition’.
9.15pm All of a sudden the panic and pains and everything stopped, it was bliss! It was as if I actually wasn’t pregnant and I wasn’t lying there about to give birth :rofl:, the midwife said this was known as the thankful resting period, I had about 3 of these and they were great, apparently the body’s way of storing energy ready for the main event. In between though I was pushing but making a hell of a lot of noise and was told to stop as I was using up too much energy making the noise whilst pushing. At this point I was on my back on the bed, the one position I didn’t think I wanted to give birth in. The midwife suggested I try on all fours but I just ignored her! I pushed again and I felt it sting and asked if “it was out yet?” which was met with an amused no (don’t be silly). I got myself into a strange position where I clenched my fists and put them underneath my bum and pushed. The midwife showed my OH the small part of the baby’s head which was visible and asked if I wanted a feel, I said no (something else that was on my birth plan!) and then she suggested I pull my knees up, again I ignored her and pushed again, was told to stop, I ignored her again thinking yes this does hurt, the stretching and I’m not going to prolong it and so at 9.36pm I pushed Ava Lily into the world in one go :cloud9: much to the shock and surprise of both the midwife and my OH! My OH said the midwife thankfully did a good job of catching her and that it was a good job the end was on the bed!
It was just the most amazing feeling to have this perfect warm and wet baby put straight onto my stomach! After what seemed like a few minutes we both said “oh what is it?” and the midwife said well have a look, we pulled the towel back and realized we had a baby girl which I had secretly hoped for! :cloud9:

After the birth I had a bit of a bleed which at first they thought was from my uterus but on further examination it was a very high and deep small vaginal tear which had to be stitched but to be honest I wasn’t bothered about! I then had a lovely bath (and the midwife dried me!!) and back to the room with my new family. My OH had had some Daddy and Daddy’s girl bonding time which was nice and he left for some sleep at about 2am. I then spent the next 5 hours just staring at my baby girl who was wide awake and she spent the next 5 hours of her life just staring at her new Mummy, I will never ever forget that beautiful special time…and here she is, my beautiful sweetpea...

Attachments

• Ava born .jpg
    Ava born .jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P28-06-09_17.33[01].jpg
    P28-06-09_17.33[01].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 85
  • P30-06-09_21.10.jpg
    P30-06-09_21.10.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P27-06-09_23.58[01].jpg
    P27-06-09_23.58[01].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P30-06-09_21.32[01].jpg
    P30-06-09_21.32[01].jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 61
aww suze she is so beautiful. your birth story is simular to mine too with back to back and the noises

lol at gas&air making ur voice sound weird. i said exact same thing to tom lol

Congratulations once again hun!Def worth the wait for you!x

Congratulations Ava Lily is beautiful

she is an absolute stunner!! u must be so proud! congratulations xxx

shes soo gorgeous :cloud9: big huge congratulations :hugs:

huge congratulations, ava is utterly gorgeous and such a beautiful name x

aww huge congrats hun..i still havent gotten round to doing my birth story yet!!! huge :hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"