• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Average Costs?

I think my list seems too cheap :haha: if i got everything except another pushchair ive got a price list from asda/argos it comes to just under £400 is that too cheap? ive included things like:
calpol
shampoo
baby powder/oil
hair brushes
nappies/wipes
dummys
bibs/clothes
cot/bedding
car seat
bouncher
breast pump/bottles/formula (incase)
arrr i think theres afew other things too :haha:

It doesn't seem too cheap at all! :) x *goes to do more listing*

Aww, now I've been thinking about it, talking to you all, I'm in the mood for reworking my list! It's the OCD in me, has to be just right. Hehe , broody.

I just looked up a US "baby cost calculator" and it wasn't too bad, about $1350 for the 1st year. It did give me a laugh though... that's less then it costs me to feed and vaccinate my 2 dogs for a year! :rofl:

I wonder if I could use that as an argument with OH... "but honey, it would just be like getting one more dog!" :haha:

I just looked up a US "baby cost calculator" and it wasn't too bad, about $1350 for the 1st year. It did give me a laugh though... that's less then it costs me to feed and vaccinate my 2 dogs for a year! :rofl:

I wonder if I could use that as an argument with OH... "but honey, it would just be like getting one more dog!" :haha:

HAHA! That last bit really did make me smile!!! I didn't think to google 'baby cost calculator', going to try it in google!

I think my list seems too cheap :haha: if i got everything except another pushchair ive got a price list from asda/argos it comes to just under £400 is that too cheap? ive included things like:
calpol
shampoo
baby powder/oil
hair brushes
nappies/wipes
dummys
bibs/clothes
cot/bedding
car seat
bouncher
breast pump/bottles/formula (incase)
arrr i think theres afew other things too :haha:

I don't think that is unreasonable at all!

This is what I reworked onto my necessities list:
Cot frame Cot mattress Cot sheets Cot bedding Travel system (or pushchair and car seat) Cloth nappies Changing mat Muslin cloths Moses Basket Baby bath
And that came to £560, with the travel system (pushchair), which you already have, so your £400 doesn't seem under the amount at all. I'd add £61 to get the clothes from asda, so £620. Not bad at all really I think.

yeah when i spoke to my OH on the phone when he was on his break just i said its only £400 mininium to save, he said "yeah right have u calculated everything?" i said yep with a very smug face :haha: he thought we was looking at least double that

:haha::haha::haha::haha: and vet bills on top of that too ;)

yeah when i spoke to my OH on the phone when he was on his break just i said its only £400 mininium to save, he said "yeah right have u calculated everything?" i said yep with a very smug face :haha: he thought we was looking at least double that

I got a similar response when I told my OH that it would cost under £500. I think he envisaged having to save £2000 or something! The hardest part is, is that he and me combined have the amount we'd need saved.. (even if its earmarked for buying a house..). We'd be able to get buy NOW let alone saving for 6 months then trying and saving whilst we're trying. Phew. Glad I got that out!

Yeah i have half that saved so wouldnt take long to save the rest without even asking my OH to chip in the money :haha: cus he worries that we wouldnt have enough money to have a LO but like ur OH he imagined it would cost alot more than in reality it is (i know there is more costs like nappies/wipes/food/clothes as LO grows up) but the start off essentials isnt as much as he thought :haha:

My oh was the same and was as surprised as I was at how reasonable it was :)
On Monday I will try and put my list on here

Mine is on my work laptop which is why I can't do it until Monday but it includes things like nipple cream and pads etc that us mummy will need too

I spent about £2500, with my dd, so next time round I'll only need to bhuy bottles/steriliser/clothes/nappies.

You can do it as cheaply or as expensively as you like!

Ohhhh man! :( Theres something on the Buy, swap and sell part of B&B that is for sale that's in a town RIGHT next to mine. Chances of it being that close to me are slim and so cheap and in great condition. Tugs at the heart strings.

Clothes wise - you'll be surprised how many things you ge as gifts! There was little old ladies I don't even know knitting my dd cardigans! All of my mams friends bought her a little something - we barely spent anything! As my LOs bday is Xnas Eve, we got loads of clothes for her as gifts, so all I have had to buy her is vests, hat & gloves and a snow suit!

People are so generous when a new baby is involved! My parents bought quite a lot of our stuff.

It is true I have seen it with my sisters my mother is always buying the children stuff

Hi ladies, I am not WTT but I stumbled across this (I am putting together my list of what to buy at the moment) and thought I'd share my list. It isn't complete as I am super forgetful at the moment and can't remember half of the stuff I need to get. But here you go! I haven't put prices as I have been picking up lots of bits and pieces 2nd hand (soooo much cheaper and I feel I'm doing my bit for the environment, hee hee)

Cot/cot bed
Sheets for cot x4
Waterproof sheets for cot x2
Blankets for cot x2
Mattress for cot
Moses basket & stand
Mattress for Moses basket
Sheets for Moses basket x3
Waterproof sheets for Moses basket x2
Blankets for Moses basket x1
Baby carrier/sling
Rug
Curtains
Blackout blind
Cot mobile
Night light
Three in one travel system (carry cot, pram, pushchair)
Changing mat
Changing station
Changing bag
Bath
Baby sleeping bags
Nursing chair, possibly rocking
Play gym
Sling/carrier
Baby monitor
Room thermometer
Bath thermometer
Swaddling blanket/swaddler
Toys
Books
Blankets x 2
Pram blanket
Bibs
Nappies
Wipes
Nappy cream
Baby bath/soap
Baby shampoo
Hooded towels
Nursing bras
Bra pads
Nipple cream
Bottles (In case)
Formula/powder (in case)
Steriliser (in case)

Clothing:
In newborn
Baby vests , short sleeve/sleeveless x7
Baby vests, long sleeved x7
Baby sleep suits x 6
Baby grows (outfits) x10
Cardigans x3
Socks x7 pairs
Booties x2 pairs
Mittens x3 pairs
Hats x3
Sun hat x1
In 0-3months
Baby vests , short sleeve x7
Baby vests, long sleeved x7
Baby sleep suits x 6
Baby grows (outfits) x10
Cardigans x3
Socks x7 pairs
Booties x3 pairs
Mittens x3 pairs
Hats x3
Sun hat x1
Coat/jacket x1
Snow suit/pram suit x1

Later on
High chair
Blender
Baby cups, plates, cutlery etc

Places to get good deals:
Car boot sales. Big ones especially.
Asda baby event.
NCT sales
Gumtree.
Ebay (search for “distance- nearest” for pick ups)
Amazon
Baby vouches and free samples- good for getting lots of different types of nappies to try to see which suit baby best.
Emma’s Diary.
Ask friends if they know anyone who has had a baby and wants to sell things.

I love this question because the idea of essentials means something different to everyone. Also it depends on if you will be buying pre-loved, from stores like Ikea and Tesco or all out with mother care and mamas and papas. It also depends on if you will be BF'ing or FF'ing, cloth or disposable nappies, want the items you need or the things you want.

The best tip I have is to try and buy right first time! It sounds so easy but it really is not, if you do not get it right first time you will spend more in the long run to replace them. I got a cute bouncer but cute means nothing with a baby and I now have the one I thought looked too over the top because (in my opinion and of most people I know with a baby) it is the best rocker out there. We are also on our third pushchair which I love but I hated the first two and my son is under 9 months old still!

The early baby cloths may be needed but you may have a baby 10lbs+ and they never get into newborn too. So my tip is not to buy too much newborn and to got for 0-3 just in case. My some was 6lbs 14oz so would fit into tiny baby clothes but the only item we got him was baby boots because romper suits fit ok (although still a tad big). For the first few months romper suites are good to have, they seem to be the first thing they grow into when going in a size and the last thing they grow out of. Also, as hard as it is try to but the everyday clothes (bodysuits, sleep suits and if in winter something warm) because people will buy you lots of the cute outfits. I also got some boys things but mostly neutral in the newborn and 0-3 just in case they got the gender wrong, in my case they got it right but it does happen (it happened a few weeks ago to my friend!).

I am saying all this as someone who got WAY too much of everything and did not always buy the best baby item so much as the things I though was cute. Obviously if you want to buy lots that is fine but I would say these are the things you actually need...

Items you need.
*Cot (Ikea ones are cheap and I love mine)
*A changing mat (A changing table is a waste of money)
*Nappies, wipes and nappy bag
*Clothes (To start with a few packs of bodysuits, sleep-suits and something warm really is enough)
*Bedding bale (I got two and it was more than I needed. Also remember the covers, pillow and bumper sets are not recommended for under 1's)
*Towels, and bath/bath support (Depends on which you want but I have a massive baby bath that I love)
*Car seat
*Pram/pushchair/travel system
*Feeding equipment (Depending on if you are BF'ing or FF'ing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"