Average Costs?

odd_socks

Long Term WTT
Reaction score
Im putting together a list of essentials we would need when we get a :bfp: (a long way off i know) but i wanted to start saving now, although i have abit put aside for a baby fund i dont know how much is kind of mininium amount we would need for essentials.....does anyone else have a list? whats on it? and how much (roughly) in the UK? :thumbup: thanks :)

I also did this, I just googled Lists of items for new baby and found a list of essential items needed and then I googled each item to find out a rough cost of these items, it was actually really fun :) i know i am sad and made the broodiness so much worse!

I was actually surprised (obviously less things I will be handed down) wasn't actually too bad!

thanks chick :D i will have to try that too :D i know i will get gifts off my family etc but a rough idea would be nice so we know how much we have to save ideally :D x

I went with my head rather than my heart so I looked at basic's so plain muslins, bibs, blankets, babygro's etc as not knowing what I will have would mean they would need to be plain and plus you will get so many gifts etc when it is born! and then buy things when it is born regardless as you will want the pink or blue!

enjoy :)

exactly yeah only buy essential babygrows, they soon grow out of there first ones anyway :) im thinking about knitting/making some blankets too so will be nice to do :) when i spoke with my mum about it i said id be happy to look at some used items i.e the cot just buy a new mattress etc :)

There was another thread about this further down somewhere! I'm really bad for looking at baby things and listing. Slightly OCDish. I'm really similar, when I started listing it was so I had a really good idea of what I would need and how much it would cost, so that when i did have the 'talk' with my OH, i'd be able to outline the things that we'd need.

I'd done what Twag had done, I'd just googled what I'd need for a newborn, and one of the lists that came up was the essential clothes for a new born. When I searched through mothercare to see how much it would cost to buy all the things it recommended it came to £120. That's for unisex clothes for the first 0-3 months stage-ish. But that is brand new and the more I look at it chances are some or most of the things on that list would be given as gifts or handed down from family friends. It's just a good figure to know.

Let me look at my list and i'll reply shortly!

thank you :) im having a looksy too i know that my family and friends have hand me downs etc....i already have a pushchair so that is a big saving :)

I found this basic list online, its sourced from mothercare, obviously though when buying things there is a variety of prices but this is the middle cost :flower:

https://www.teething-babies.co.uk/you-and-your-baby/realcost.php

Cost of Baby Items*

Item Cost
Cot £160
Bedding £80
Baby carrier £30
Push Chair £200
High chair £50
Baby bath £18
Baby monitor £30
Disposable nappies (2,555) £500
Bottle feeding equipment £20

Total £1,088

I have several different lists, but the stuff written below is mainly costs relating to the my own personal way I'd most likely parent.

The first on my list (it's not that I pioritiesed it over other things that are needed more, it was just the first thing that came into my head when I started the list) was a sling (to aid with breastfeeding and for general comfort for the baby). I've just grown up seeing mummys 'carry' their babies, so it's a natural progression for me. The one that I saw was £38.

Next was a breatfeeding pillow (I plan to breastfeeed, isn't essential but hopefully would make things so much easier), the one i liked was £44.99, but would mostl likely be able to get that a fair bit cheaper.

Nappy bin was on the list, for nappies to be washed (hoping to use cloth nappies, again, just what i've seen my friends/family use so would be a natural progression). Only £6.99.

The car seat I saw was £109.99. The cot was a cheaper one at £50, would need a matress ontop. which was varying prices. Looking into a 2nd hand cot though I think.

Moses basket, between £20 and £30. I hope to use cloth nappies and I'd start off with collecting pre-loved (second hand) ones until I find the make that suits me and the baby and that would be about £70 for the amount i'd need.

A play pen which i saw at £70 to seperate part of the room off from our dogs.

A changing mate for £10. And breastfeeding shawl at £15. Allowing £100 for a pushchair and up to £100 for a mattress for the cot all in all I think my aim for saving for the baby would be at about £700.

None of that made any real sence but there you go :)

Edit to say:

I'm hoping to get several things pre-loved though, so second hand. I saw some amazing knitted cardigans in my local charity shop, like new, for very little money. Blankets and the like I think I'm going to knit, and am hoping to knit and craft some booties and hats as well. :) I just new that my OH would like to get as much of it as new as possible so had to record those things on my list hehe.

thanks chick thats helpful :D i defoo want to make some things for the baby as it i think its nice to keep too :D i priced up the clothes at (george at asda) and for all the bodysuits/bibs/all the basics £34 :D thats if we was to have everything white :D

That was the same at Mothercare, was all white, really unisex, thats a BIG difference from mothercare at £120!!! *heads to asda website and alter list*! x

yeah asda is well cheap for baby clothes :D i think places like primark are cheap too but they dont have online website so i cant really check now :D

if i wasnt pushing my luck i'd love to grab a bargain and get this....

I'd looked at the 3-6 months clothes, or the next ones up from the newborn in primark and they really did look rather cheap. I didn't get the newborn sleepsuits or bodysuits out of the packet so they might have looked a little better. Don't get me wrong, I shop in primark myself, love it, and I love asda and tescos clothes (am not a snob hehe or posh), the baby clothes in primark was just pushing it alittle. :( looking at asda now and the clothes are so cheap and look really nice! :D Great tip!

Oh that is ADORABLE! If i wasn't pushing my luck i'd buy that too..

is cute isnt it :D and yeah i like the asda ones they are really cute and even the ones for boys and girls are lovely but i think id rather have all white (i dont know if id want to know the sex)

just to add, when buying clothes, make sure you get at least one outfit for tiny baby/early baby just incase, my lo was born at 38 weeks although he wasn't too small at 6lb 6oz and newborn didn't fit him til he was about a month old :flower:

^^ great tip :D all this lookin at baby stuff making me more broody lmao

just to add, when buying clothes, make sure you get at least one outfit for tiny baby/early baby just incase, my lo was born at 38 weeks although he wasn't too small at 6lb 6oz and newborn didn't fit him til he was about a month old :flower:
Ohhh that is a GREAT tip! :D I'd not thought about a few things in newborn just for those initial stage. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->