Babies and Cats co-existing

Have you not thought that if you don't open the doors- they will soon get the message? Just a thought.

Also- if the mesh covers weren't safe (which I can assure you they are as I use one) then they wouldn't be on the market would they? Don't be paranoid.

For the mesh, I mostly worry about the cats using it as a hammock and that it might collapse. But I don't know, maybe they can withhold the cat if they try. Do yours get up on it at all?

Ideally, I'd like to shut them out.

DH thinks that they will be fine once LO is here and won't bother her (after they've sniffed her out a little). And that might be the case. I don't want to just assume that they won't (but they are easily scared, so maybe?).

I'm all for shutting them out. Problem is DH. They scratch at the door very loudly until you let them in. I'm all for ignoring it and eventually they'll stop. DH though gets irritated with the scratching and lets them in (this is mostly at night). I think we just need to work with it longer rather than giving in.

I'm not sure if the citrus spray will work. We tried it on furniture w/o luck. Though maybe the doorway will be different? Is there anything else we could use? I can still try the spray.

I think the foil might be worth a shot, especially if we can't get them to leave the door alone.

Also, as far as allergies go, when do they usually start to develop if they are going to have an allergy to them? Is there really a time frame or this or is it just something that can develop whenever?

After I saw someone yesterday mentioning the SSSCAT sprayer that seems to work. Youtube it. Its actually halarious!! Also they have the ssscat mat that gives a humane type of shock and that also seems to work. After showing my husband we are going to purchase the mat so they just stay out of the hallway area of our house which leads to both girls rooms and the bathroom.

I was really nervous about how my cats would deal with a new baby, but I watched a bunch of youtube videos showing cats with babies and it calmed my fears.

Yep. And for the record this one came to me as a 4-5 year old feral tomcat that took 3 months before I could even touch him.The reason he moved in the house was because my neighbor kicked him, breaking his femur and then shot him with a shotgun. One of the most amazing kitties I have ever met. He slept on my baby bump through pregnancy, snuggled in our bed with OH, myself and the baby, and then slept with her in her own bed. He may look big, but he's only about 8 pounds in that pic.

Attachments

• AbiTom2.jpg
    AbiTom2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
We adopted a cat about a month ago. When we first got her she for the most part minded her own business. She was always pretty vocal (as torties can be) but we didn't mind that. I've noticed lately that she's gotten pushier, and a bit play-aggressive. She's not a bad cat at all, but she seems to have a lot of energy. We will NOT declaw or get rid of her, but she will (is now) be banned from our room (where the baby's crib is going.) I hope she respects our space when I'm holding him or he's in his swing. I don't want to keep having to put her in the other room, or let alone get rid of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->