babies head not engaged at 39+4

mammy2oaklen

Reaction score
Hi ladies

This is my third baby and normally by now babies head is engaged although I've always gone overdue so expecting that anyway. But my midwife seemed really surprised with how high up baby still is and how his head is still free. This made me really disheartened as although my babies have always come late I've never needed to be induced and now I'm worried this will happen.

Any one been through this before? Have any advice on how to get babies head to engage I am walking and using birthing ball obviously neither have helped so far

From what I have heard this is not at all unusual in subsequent pregnancies and that often 2nd (or more) babies do not engage until in labor. Engagement prior to labor is only common in first pregnancies. I am surprised that you midwife is surprised. This is my fourth and all of mine have dropped including this one but I know that is not common.

Oh, and try crawling around on your hands and knees or doing pelvic tilts. Might help.

As AlexSpargo said, I heard it's less common for subsequent babies to engage/drop. my first little one didn't engage until after my water broke. Don't worry about it :)

I was under the impression 2nd/subsequent baby's didn't usually engage early, and it's not unusual for them not to engage until labour.

My midwife did ask me when my 1st baby engaged as this one probably wouldn't engage as soon...my 1st baby didn't engage until I was in established labour anyway so she basically told me not to worry about whether this baby was engaged or not! :haha:

My baby's head wasn't engaged till the night before my induction in my first pregnancy.

This time baby was engaged really early but I don't think he's engaged anymore as I don't have those engagement pains anymore.

I really don't think engaged head makes a difference as to when you'll go into labor and whether you'll need an induction. Some babies don't engage till labor. You'll be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->