Babies need VESTS beneath their clothes? Had no idea!

Smudge 101, I am SO the same, utterly clueless. Been scouring the net for advice and asking friends / family, plus have antenatal classes soon. But so many obvious things I have no idea about!

Is it bad that I don't even know how to pick out diapers? They all have babies on the package....I have no idea which is what...

I stand there n just think WHAT!

Go by weight! They usually have a from - to weight on! At first you'll have to guess.

I think most people have something they don't have a clue about.

Mine was the placenta. I have birth and then what? You want me to push again.

I thought there was a secret baby up in there!

Nope you have to give birth to the placenta too!

I'm thinking this is a UK thing, I'm on my third baby and never layered a onsie under other clothes. Even in the dead of winter. The poor things would sweat!

I have just bought a pack of 6 short sleeve white vests in newborn - I was not 100% when I was going to use them but thought I should have some, now I know!!!! I might buy some that have no sleeves as well as I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are going to have a hot summer.

As a rule babies need one more layer than you do. However, if it's the middle of summer and you're sweltering, then don't bother. I've got an August baby on the way and have rompers and lots of vests and shorts/trousers ready lol. After the first 6-12 weeks when they're put on some weight they're better at sorting out their own body temps but will still need a vest on underneath most things. Eddy mostly wears a vest even now - they also have the bonus of keeping a nappy in place with the poppers and stop them gaping over the top of trousers for example. :thumbup:

I only know this as this is baby number 3. When my first arrived it was the end of October so he was trussed up anyway. I really had to learn how to dress a newborn properly when Eddy arrived last year - end of May and it was 27degrees in my living room! :dohh:

Nappies. Start with stage 1 - and work your way up. size 1s will USUALLY fit a newborn for at least the first few days if not weeks then you can move up the sizes from there. Don't worry about the different 'types' to start with.....just go with the standard ones. :thumbup: I did the whole Rachel from friends bit when Earl first arrived ' Ha look it stays on and everything!' :haha: Top tip - if baby is a boy make sure everything is 'pointing down' as this stops a lot of leaks. Make sure all frilly bits around the leg cuffs are out of the elastic. Tabs should meet or close to it but not overlap.

It all comes to you - I'd never even held a newborn before my first arrived lol.

Is it bad that I don't even know how to pick out diapers? They all have babies on the package....I have no idea which is what...

Go by weight! They usually have a from - to weight on! At first you'll have to guess.

Well, just until my baby class the other day I had no idea the baby didn't actually LIVE inside the placenta...I thought the placenta actually contained the baby like the amniotic sack!

Nothing like pregnancy to make you feel ridiculous!

Just a thought , I rarely hear a baby die from being cold (I know it can happen) but I heard of babies dying of overheat all the time (Dehydration or heat stroke...even some people think it can cause SIDS) . Although being cold can make a baby a little fussy so be careful how you layer clothes on your baby.

In summer it's not so important given its a bit warmer, but in general small babies wear a vest then sleepsuit on top. My daughter wore vests under her clothes until she was potty trained, unless it was particularly warm!

You will need more than 6, they're the first thing to be covered in poo by a leaky nappy, do you can get through 6 in one day on a bad day! Youll only need short sleeved or sleeveless vests for summer, but I'd recommend buying a cheap pack of 10 on top of what you already have x

Well, just until my baby class the other day I had no idea the baby didn't actually LIVE inside the placenta...I thought the placenta actually contained the baby like the amniotic sack!

Nothing like pregnancy to make you feel ridiculous!

A lady at work thought that too! She was mortified when I told her she was completely wrong.

I only really know things because of forums & research. If you've never had a baby before then you wouldn't have any clue about lots of stuff!

Everything I know about labour I've learnt from One Born Every Minute!

well this IS a surprise! i never thought to layer a vest under a sleepsuit (probably b/c i'm from the states), but now that i think about it...there's a whole lot of central everything in the states (AC, heat,...in the house, in the car, at every store...) and it's so easy to set a comfortable temp. that permeates. Here in the UK, however, i'm always cold. i've been fretting about keeping my baby warm in our flat even though we have central heating b/c i'm always smashed up against the radiator! right...a vest under the sleepsuit. thanks!

my son still wears vests under everything - with the exception of rompers and sleepsuits because they totally encase baby! i always thought, if baby doesnt have a vest then we pick them up their tops always ride up and their poor newborn soft skinned middles get chafed on our clothes buttons/zips/hands even. i always feel that baby will be more comfortable with a vest on as well.

also, as many have mentioned the explosive yellow nappies? vests can be great as soaking up the poo and saving whatever outfit baby has on top! always easier to have a vest that needs washing rather than bubs whole outfit AND whatever they were lying on if their top was up a bit!

the yellow poo stains as well, badly. however, a scrub with hand soap in the bathroom sink saved many a sentimentally valued item :thumbup:

in summer here my son usually wears a vest and shorts or just a vest. xxx

we don't really do that in Canada. J was born in march - i never put a onesie on underneath her sleeper or outfit. Especially not in the summer months. But with central air and heat the house stays a consistent temperature.

Oh I didn't have a clue either, you do kind of just muddle along! I put a nappy on the wrong way round several times but hey.
Also reading the previous post about overheating ...on the first night home from hospital we had jack in a vest, a sleepsuit, wooly cardigan and a wooly hat. He screamed for a few seconds and when I got him out of his Moses basket he was sweating so much, I had to totally strip him... We had overheated the poor thing. At the hospital they put him on a heat pad and kept going on that he had to be warm so I think we went a bit over the top!
It was only when the midwife came on a home visit 2 days later she said he didn't have to wear a hat, I'd had a hat glued to his head for the last 48 hours!
You live and learn :haha:

Regarding vests, my little man wears one even now and he's nearly 2, it's so handy to stop him ripping the nappy off and provides another layer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->