Baby at risk for Trisonomy 18

Rymel12

Reaction score
So my Dr called me a little bit ago and said that I tested at high risk for Trisonomy 18. Never heard of this before, but Google certainly doesn't paint a pretty picture of it. So now I have to go in tomorrow for a followup blood test to see if the first test was a false positive. Has anyone needed this followup test and do they know what test it is? The Dr said my overall chances of the baby having trisonomy 18 are low but still high enough that I need this followup test and now I'm stressed out to the max. Last pregnancy it was an expected misscarriage followed by placenta Previa followed by enlarged kidneys, followed by a healthy baby which of course is great in the end but stressful most of the pregnancy. I can't get a break with stressors along the way to baby. Can't I just have a peaceful pregnancy? :cry: Anyone's experiences with trisonomy 18 testing would be helpful.

No experience but didn't want to hit read and run! I hope it was just a false positive though big hug :hugs:

My friend recently tested high for this, 1 in 9 chance and stressed for weeks until she had an amnio and was given the all clear.
Nothing anyone says wI'll help ease your mind until you have a conclusive diagnosis but it's worth remembering that sometimes the tests are wrong x

I had a 1:11 risk for both Trisomy 13 and 18. I had the MaterniT21 blood test to find out if baby had any chromosome issues. The blood test I had is similar to other ones (Harmony, Panorama) which tests the fetal DNA that's in the mother's blood. I wonder if one of those is the tests your doctor is going to do? Those are the only blood tests that I know of that will give you a more accurate answer. Best of luck to you. I know it's incredibly worrying.

I had a 1:11 risk for both Trisomy 13 and 18. I had the MaterniT21 blood test to find out if baby had any chromosome issues. The blood test I had is similar to other ones (Harmony, Panorama) which tests the fetal DNA that's in the mother's blood. I wonder if one of those is the tests your doctor is going to do? Those are the only blood tests that I know of that will give you a more accurate answer. Best of luck to you. I know it's incredibly worrying.

Did you find that the followup test showed less of a risk? You don't have to share if you don't want to, I was just curious. I had asked for the harmony test when I went to the appointment the other day, but after the ultrasound the Dr said it wasn't needed as the ultrasound looked great, but that has changed now as the blood test showed otherwise. I bet it will be the harmony or something similar. Thanks for the input and best of luck to you as well. :hugs:

Just wanted to wish you all the best for today :hugs:

Did you find that the followup test showed less of a risk? You don't have to share if you don't want to, I was just curious. I had asked for the harmony test when I went to the appointment the other day, but after the ultrasound the Dr said it wasn't needed as the ultrasound looked great, but that has changed now as the blood test showed otherwise. I bet it will be the harmony or something similar. Thanks for the input and best of luck to you as well. :hugs:

My test came back with "typical chromosomes", which means no issues. Baby was born healthy, so test was accurate. The MaterniT21 comes back with either typical chromosomes or non typical, which would mean they found a chromosome issue and suggest an amnio to confirm. I think the harmony may come back with a risk ratio, but not sure. Best of luck.

I mc'd an ivf baby that had Turner's syndrome which is similar. I'm sorry the test came back high, are you doing the Harmony test for conclusive results? I hate the scan+bloods here in Canada, they can give women quite the scare when false positives appear. I hope everything turns out for you.

I mc'd an ivf baby that had Turner's syndrome which is similar. I'm sorry the test came back high, are you doing the Harmony test for conclusive results? I hate the scan+bloods here in Canada, they can give women quite the scare when false positives appear. I hope everything turns out for you.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. They did give me the harmony test today. Hoping for the best. So many of these testing related issues that come up during pregnancy are either false alarms or resolve themselves over time. Hopefully this too is a false alarm. Thank you for the well wishes. :hugs:

Not sure if you've received your results yet but I was told the same thing about two weeks ago. Increased risk for downs syndrome and trisomy 18. Second blood test came back normal and got to find out the gender! Good luck :).

My baby had a 1/5 risk, and the baby is okay! After 7 weeks of testing and horrible waiting, we were released back to our regular doctor. The doctors were awful but all my friends with kids said it's really common to have false positives and not to worry. They were right! So please, do not worry, and I hope your test results put your mind at ease.

I just found out this morning that the second test came back completely normal! So excited and relieved. And ready to do some shopping since I found out it's a boy!!

Thank goodness! Congratulations on your boy, too. :D

Wonderful news, and congratulations on your baby boy xxxxxx :blue:

Congrats on the great news!! Get your shopping on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->