Baby boy has a name and no one likes it

Tweeks

Reaction score
My partner has had his heart set on this particular name since I jokingly read it off of a Norse baby name section on a website. I've tried to come up with alternatives but have accepted that my partner now thinks of our son as his name. It seems unfair of me to rob him of what connection he has formed with our little boy.

Since accepting it, I've felt more at peace with my baby boy and feel like I can involve my daughter a bit more by telling her his name and telling her when he moves, etc. It makes him feel more real.

I've told a few people (family) his name and the reactions have not been great to say the least. I'm actually quite hurt and resentful of people being so negative and I already feel quite protective of him and his name even if it's not something I would have intially picked.

I suppose I'm just feeling sad and the reaction from my mother was a "well, I WONT be calling him that. He'll have a nickname." I find that so very rude and almost like our naming decision is completely irrelevant to her or anyone who doesn't like it.

I'm even scared to put his name here for fear of backlash. I don't know, I was hoping for people to be slightly more positive even if they hate our name choice, surely voicing that is wrong?

What is the name?

I want to say so long as you love the name that's all that matters, but I know other people's comments can hurt and put you off the name :( this is why we don't share our names until baby is born. Some people are just really rude too. Sorry theyve upset you

As long as you guys see it as his name nothing else matters. Once he's born and introduced by that name no one will ever think of him as any different. People all think they get to give an opinion on naming a child. Ignore them. People don't comment once he's arrives. You can tell us the name. I bet there's nothing wrong with it!

My Mom was the same when I told her the baby girl name I like ("Olive"). She likened it to Popeye and made a reference to some character from Off The Buses!

I'm tempted to stick with Olive now, not only because hubby and I both like it but also because it'll drive my Mom nuts!

I say, call the baby whatever you want to (as long as it's not properly offensive!!) and everyone else will just have to learn to accept it. You're the parents after all.

Torben James (last name).

Pronounced like (TAWR-Ben) it means Thor's bear or thunder bear according to the Norse name meaning site thing I looked at and we're obsessed with marvel and superhero films. Also we named Aurora after the northern lights that you can see in Norway (among many places).

I like it more as the days go by. I have really struggled with coming up with boys names that don't sound too common and that can go with my daughter's name.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Torben, it's unusual but it's not a silly or made up name. Think it goes with Aurora lovely too.

My Mom was the same when I told her the baby girl name I like ("Olive"). She likened it to Popeye and made a reference to some character from Off The Buses!

I'm tempted to stick with Olive now, not only because hubby and I both like it but also because it'll drive my Mom nuts!

I say, call the baby whatever you want to (as long as it's not properly offensive!!) and everyone else will just have to learn to accept it. You're the parents after all.

Thank you. I love the name Olive. I don't hear it often and it reminds me of sunshine and good memories. Names should provoke good reactions in people. :)

I really like it. Keep it. I don't think it's an odd name or really out there. I think it'll go well for a child or adult.

Oh I absolutely LOVE that!

It matches his sister's name because of the geographical link which is so lovely too.

Strong names are just wonderful. I love names that mean something positive or significant.

It's a YES from me Tweeks!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with Torben, it's unusual but it's not a silly or made up name. Think it goes with Aurora lovely too.

Thank you Lora. :) Aurora referred to him by name this morning and kissed my bump. It just cemented it even more in my mind that she already seems to have formed an attachment with him.

I think olive is lovely too! Can't say pop eye came into my head. When will we all learn to not tell relatives until baby's born. I got grief from everyone about my names. ...apparently every woman in both our families workout children had planned on using the names we chose. Obviously when picking or psychic abilities weren't working well enough!

Oh I absolutely LOVE that!

It matches his sister's name because of the geographical link which is so lovely too.

Strong names are just wonderful. I love names that mean something positive or significant.

It's a YES from me Tweeks!!

Me too. I liked Dexter and Casper but my partner vetoed those due to Casper the ghost and Dexter the serial killer. I think he would have said anything just to get his way in all honesty. I feel like he's known who our son was before I even did and the amount of stress I put on myself finding an alternative name was ridiculous.

I think olive is lovely too! Can't say pop eye came into my head. When will we all learn to not tell relatives until baby's born. I got grief from everyone about my names. ...apparently every woman in both our families workout children had planned on using the names we chose. Obviously when picking or psychic abilities weren't working well enough!

They are lovely names and I don't see many Michaels or Daniels anymore. It's the names that end in "den" that are really popular where I live.

I like it. As the others have said it's different but I don't think it's too "out there". Everyone will likely come around once he's born and it becomes HIS name, and if they don't then tough, it's your child and you have to be happy with his name first and foremost. Stick to your guns. :)

I really like that name! So much I might keep it in mind if we get a boy, hope that's ok!! :lol:

I really like name as well and it goes beautifully with your DD's name.

Definitely not a weird name or one that warrants a negative response! People need to learn to keep their personal preferences to themselves when told the parents' choice of name!
Anyway, I knew a Torben once, pronounced Tor (rhymes with Thor) ben though. He was just the cutest, most loving little boy. Probably a spotty teenager by now. :lol:
My point: Ignore them! It's a lovely name for your little boy!

Thank you so very much ladies. :hugs: I know it shouldn't have bothered me but it did. I love the name, it's taken me a while to get on board with my partner but baby boy does feel like a Torben and the way my daughter says his name makes my hormonal heart melt. <3

My friend is named Torben (but he pronounces it Taw-ben). At first I thought it was an odd name (we are in Canada so it is not a well known name here), but now it is just his name and I don't think twice about it. I think that is what will happen with your LO, once people get used to it they won't care if they didn't like it to begin with. If you like it then I say screw everyone else and use it!

Its a nice name not horrid at all. I find people feel as though they can have an opinion before baby is born but less iclined to do so once here. We just say we have no names in mind &#128517;

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->