baby carriers

freddiesmum

mummy of two
Reaction score
Hey all, hope everyones doing good!
I was just wondering if any of you use baby carriers/slings? I never used one with my first, he was full term tho, and i dont know. Are they safe for preemies? Which one do you all reccommend? Oh im clueless xxx
*hugs and kisses*

Try https://www.victoriaslinglady.co.uk/

Really good prices. :)

I think for preemies you should ask neonatal/consultant, but...

I didnt know there was potential issues with carriers and preemies bk when u had Alex. I put Alex in one a few weeks after coming home.

I started a thread in baby club today cause i want one for Tori, and it seems like a Mei Tai would have been best for her and Alexs lil body and positioning.
I know a lady who used a Mei Tai from birth til now (almost 2) and he was a 27 weeker too.

Im defo buying one tonight

We put Sophie in ours as soon as she reached the minimum weight, which I think was 7lbs something. It took her a while to reach that weight as she was only 5lbs 6oz when she came home so she was probably about 5ish months actual/2ish months corrected when we first used ours. We haven't used it a lot though as I don't find it comfy at all and I keep feeling like she's going to fall out! I have to hold her as well which kind of defeats the purpose! I want a mei tai one too!! x

I have a Mei Tai and will be using it as soon as Millie reaches 8lbs as per recommendation on the package. :thumbup:

I didn't have one but I have heard BRILLIANT things about Mei tais xx

For small babies, I would advise looking either into jersey knit type slings (I think one brand is Tricot Slen) or in the Storchenwiege slings: they make to order special narrower slings for premature babies.
The jersey knit slings should be slimmer and would allow a snug fit without cutting baby's circulation.

Note: Even though my instincts tell me that there is nothing wrong and it can even be positive especially for a premature baby to use a sling, I have never even been close to a premature baby, so I would have no idea if it is safe/advisable.

I've been using a sling (regular storchenwiege) on my full term (4,7kg!) newborn baby. I place her high up on my chest, to the side: it's almost like she's sitting on my breast. Her head is up almost touching my chin (but she's on the side).
I make sure her legs are not waggling down but that her knees are level with her tummy (that curves her back, it's recommended).
Then I place the middle of the sling on her back and tuck it under her tush.
I bring the two ends of the sling over each shoulder and adjust it so it's not loose anywhere (I have to pull more on the top of the width than on the bottom).
It's the start of a "kangaroo" or "back pack" (but in front) knot, but I cross the sling in my back and then I bring each end back over her making sure that each end comes snuggly around her tush and back. (The end is like a double cross knot).
Then I tie it off on my back.
It's less secure for heavier children, but it has the advantage of not digging into the legs.
The normal version would be : after crossing the sling in my back, take one side and pass it over the first leg and under the second leg, same for the other side and tie off in back.
I used a sling for two babies already, so I kind of have the hang of it; that's why I've been "inventing" new knots. If you are not sure of what you are doing: check out youtube to see people tying lots of different knots.

I recomend a wrap 100%. There is no minimum weight limit and have actualy been used in SCBU's to help with kangeroo care.

Heres a link to the benifits of using a wrap/kangeroo care on prems.

https://www.sleepywrap.com/learn/kangaroo-care/

It lasts for a quite a while, my LO is nearly 6 months 14+lbs and i can use it for hours. Its far more comfortable for me to use compared to my connecta (a mei tai with buckles) and i think shes more comfortable in it. She will sleep for a lot longer in the wrap.

My little guy is a year old (today!) - 9 months corrected and weighs 17lbs and I STILL carry him EVERYWHERE in my 'kangaroo' sling, essentially a long strip of cloth. And I mean everywhere - long train rides, all over the city in buses, subways, to parks, etc. I didn`t even think I`d like a sling but I LOVE it. bubbah loves it too, curiously looks around as we travel and easily falls asleep in it. I started as soon as he left the hospital (he weighed 6 lbs then) and never looked back. :thumbup:

https://www.mamankangourou.com/en/produits/view/50

PLEASE don't use slings! When my girls were in the NICU for a month I got very chatty with all the nurses- they told me horror stories about Preemies dying in slings and the mother never even knowing until going to take them out! This is more common than you may think! Both the Neonatologists I spoke to recommend the wrap style (Moby) carriers or NONE at all- just use your arms!

Well, ive bought a sleepy wrap (thanks lozzy21), i will be tryin it out before i put lo in it! I will be using it as a front carrier as he hate being held in ur arms lyin flat!!

PLEASE don't use slings! When my girls were in the NICU for a month I got very chatty with all the nurses- they told me horror stories about Preemies dying in slings and the mother never even knowing until going to take them out! This is more common than you may think! Both the Neonatologists I spoke to recommend the wrap style (Moby) carriers or NONE at all- just use your arms!

The only style carries that have that risk is this style.

https://www.mothercare.com/Babaslin...041&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

But if you ask any mum who babywares on a regular basis no one will recomend one. They are lots of wraps and carriers that are safe but because they are so many different types people just call them slings.

Well, ive bought a sleepy wrap (thanks lozzy21), i will be tryin it out before i put lo in it! I will be using it as a front carrier as he hate being held in ur arms lyin flat!!

I hope you get on with it, it can be tricky to tie at first but you will soon get the hang of it, I love mine, i can ware it for hours and for some one with a back problem thats brilliant lol

err yes, I call all of them slings because honestly don't know the terms for the different types in english that well :shrug: but mine is a long piece of cloth that you...wrap around yourself. There are many websites that show the correct use of one - simply ensure the baby's spine is straight (ie not tilting sideways) and his/her airways are clear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->