• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby clothes sizes - Tiny Baby/Newborns?!

callypygous

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm a first time Mum and looking into baby clothing to see what would be a sensible amount to get of everything. I'm sure we are bound to be gifted a lot of cute outfits so I just want to make sure we are stocked up on the basics, and a cute coming home outfit.

I've seen on John Lewis the size 'tiny baby' for up to 7lbs and 'newborn'.

Is it ok just to buy newborns for now? Or should I buy a couple of 'tiny baby' sizes just in case? All my Mum's babies were born 7lbs + so not sure if they're necessary?

I haven't really bought much baby clothes at the moment, as family and friends have bought stuff. I have been given a few bits & bobs, some of it was tiny baby, newborn and 0-3 months, so I'm going to just wait and see what else we are given before baby is born as theres tonnes been bought that I haven't received yet.

People can't resist buying the teeny tiny clothes as they are just too cute!

I have newborn clothes generally but was given some tiny baby stuff. I found that the sizing on clothes varies so dramatically from shop to shop that my son grew out of some 0-3 clothes before tiny baby from another shop. They grow so fast that he was only in newborn a few weeks even though they were too big to start with.

Babies grow fast so just buy a few. The major things will be like blankets, socks, bibs, burp clothes and onsies (vest) and just a couple sleepers of each size (newborn and 0-3) as you never know what size baby will be.

Callum was 5lb 13oz when he was born so 0 - 3 month stuff swamped him! Newborn was slightly big and lasted him the first 6 weeks, we never bothered buying tiny baby stuff though, newborn was fine. As others have said I'd just get a few of different sizes, people tend to buy you lots anyway when LOs born xx

think if you have a family history of babies being 7lb+ you'll be fine with newborn.

I was stunned with how much clothing we ended up getting at our shower... we had bought some stuff on sale at Old Navy in size 0-3 mos., and I'm not sure we'll have to buy her anything for the next 6 now!

Just get newborn and 0-3.

We were given a couple of tiny baby bits but never used them. Tiny baby is a premature size really, most babies start in newborn.

Our 7lb 11oz daughter wore newborn for about 3 weeks then went into 0-3.

Thanks ladies, I'm clueless when it comes to all this stuff! :thumbup:

I got every week a pack of vests and sleepsuits in every size up to 18 months when I was pregnant before as you can never have enough of these. I think I had 6 or 9 in each size.
I wish I never got the newborn I gave it to my friend who had a 7lb baby as mine was 10lb!
Next do an up to 1 month which is a nice size and h&m do differently sized newborn clothing if 0-3 is too big to start with but newborn won't last.
Xx

Thanks Raspberry. Yeah, a lot of people have told me not to buy too many baby clothes as I'm likely to receive a lot as gifts - but I'm a real planner and would feel more comfortable to know I have the basics covered!

Thanks for your advice - sounds sensible! :thumbup:

Personally I bought 1 or 2 outfits in tiny baby and then some newborn. Lo turned out 6lb 7oz but he was quite small in length so early baby size fitted him fine for the first 2 weeks but I could have got away with using tiny baby but it just looked too big! Tiny baby would be fine I suppose but saying that my mum gave birth to 8lb 13oz sister of mine and she went straight into newborn size

i dont think anyone knows what clothes to get as no one knows how big the baby is defo going to be unil he/she is born. ATM i have been given/bought clothes/vests/baby grows, and at this rate im only going to need to stock up on vests and baby grows for new born and 0-3. its a really hard question to answer, if you feel you have to buy a few tiny baby vests and baby grows, just incase you do infact have a tiny baby, leave tags on and if baby never fits into them, take them back :) x

I've been wondering about this too! My siblings and I were all 9 lbs and change, so we all went right into 0-3 months clothing. I've been thinking I would just keep tags on any newborn clothing we get and leave a couple newborn and preemie outfits at my mom's to wash if we have a tiny baby. I'm thinking that with a summer baby, we don't need a ton of layers or a ton of clothing for the first couple weeks anyway, so it won't be too time consuming or frustrating if I have to send someone out for a couple packs of onesies or those side snap shirts with pants.

I'm not sure if this seems like a good plan, or if something else would be better? We're only about 5 minutes from a Babies R Us, so it's really no trouble to ask DH or someone else to stop by.

Amalee as long as you buy them fairly last minute otherwise you might end up stuck with items you can't take back.
Sounds like a good plan xx

I decided not to buy tiny baby and regretted it, both myself and hubby are small and even though she was 7lb 2oz she fit tiny baby for the first two weeks, newborn swamped her.

Maybe buying just before your due date rather than going to mothercare the day you come out of the hospital would be a good idea :haha:

All I had was newborn and up sizes, my DD was 5 pounds 12 at birth and swam in it, so ended up needing to buy some preemie stuff, they do grow fast but that first month all she fit in was stuff where the weight was under 7 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->