• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby died in Mums sling

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
Not to worry anyone.. But thought i'd share to make people aware.

I can not even begin to imagine what the family went through.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-stroll-Infant-10-minute-walk-calm-down.html

I'm not really understanding how a baby could suffocate if positioned properly. The only thing i can think of is if baby is smothered against the mums chest :/

I read about this a couple of months ago, the Daily Mail article has the sling wrong, that wasn't the wrap the baby died in, I will try and find the link so people know not to buy it. Basically the sling the baby died in curls the baby too much so the baby's chin is too close to it's chest blocking the air ways.

Typical Daily Mail getting it wrong to try and attack parents, but there's no harm in raising awareness to make sure we're doing it properly. Horrific for the parents, I can't imagine how they are feeling, words just don't exist.

e daily mail is so bloody irresponsible. It scaremongers about slings yet offs no advice how to do it correctly, it doesn't state what type of sling it is. I'm guessing a bag style one from the description though.

There is nothing to say the sling was at fault or the parents using it incorrectly.

Babies can die of SIDS anywhere, car seats, beds, sling and even in mums arms. The blood from the nose is a sign that it was SIDS.

Its incredible sad and those poor patents pain is unimaginable but articles like this are useless. They give no information other then scare tactics.

Slings save mums sanity, they enable mums to bond, get out of the house, see to other children. When used correctly they must lower the risk of SIDS by being close to us.

These articles pop up every now and then and they always state how its celebrities who have encouraged use, like its some kind of fashion trend. Babies have been worn by their parents since cloth and the means to do so has been around!

I don't babywear because some B Lister does (good on them though!) I do it because I want too and IRS normal.

I'm pretty certain when this story was reported earlier in the year before the couple was identified (it happened in London so was in our local news) it was said to be a bag sling which aren't safe:

https://www.slingbabies.co.nz/Site/BAG_slings.ashx

Now they're not saying what the sling was and the Daily Mail wrongly put a safe wrap in the picture saying that was the culprit despite admitting in the article the sling hasn't been named, obviously not understanding there are a variety of wraps and different ways to carry babies. But if course we should all learn to carry a baby safely no matter what sling we use, but this article is scaremongering.

It's crazy to me how the mother wasn't keeping an eye on her baby. Horrible tragedy.
Very annoying how the daily mail "report" things so terribly.
Like most things in life, slings are very safe when used correctly. And it's annoying how one thing is blamed for a babies death before looking at the facts :/

I have heard afew babies have suffocated in the sling posted above, not the one in the article.

Its easy to question why the mum didn't notice but sometimes it must be a case of breathing one second and not the next. I know I check on the babies in the carrier especially when they are asleep but not every second. Even a few minutes unnoticed is causes catastrophic problems.

And it can happen in car seats and pushchairs so this isn't down to the sling. Everything used wrong can be dangerpus

Such a shame. It just goes to show it can happen anywhere, even right next to mummy. Very scary and sad.

e daily mail is so bloody irresponsible. It scaremongers about slings yet offs no advice how to do it correctly, it doesn't state what type of sling it is. I'm guessing a bag style one from the description though.

There is nothing to say the sling was at fault or the parents using it incorrectly.

Babies can die of SIDS anywhere, car seats, beds, sling and even in mums arms. The blood from the nose is a sign that it was SIDS.

Its incredible sad and those poor patents pain is unimaginable but articles like this are useless. They give no information other then scare tactics.

Slings save mums sanity, they enable mums to bond, get out of the house, see to other children. When used correctly they must lower the risk of SIDS by being close to us.

These articles pop up every now and then and they always state how its celebrities who have encouraged use, like its some kind of fashion trend. Babies have been worn by their parents since cloth and the means to do so has been around!

I don't babywear because some B Lister does (good on them though!) I do it because I want too and IRS normal.

According to the article:

article said:
Paediatric pathologist Dr Mary Malone, who carried out a post-mortem examination of the baby, said that such deaths were usually caused by the child’s position leading to asphyxiation.

She said that six similar cases had been recorded in Britain, and 16 in America and Canada.

Coroner Richard Brittain described it as an ‘extremely tragic death’, ruling that the cause of death was the baby’s airways being blocked.
He added: ‘We heard from Dr Malone there have been similar circumstances that occurred internationally and also in the UK that do raise some concerns as to the safety of the slings.’

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-10-minute-walk-calm-down.html#ixzz2xugvapO3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There are risks in everything, but I think it's good to raise awareness. It wouldn't stop me from using them again but it's good that people have it at the back of their minds that suffocation can occur so they are more careful.

I feel so sorry for the parents, i couldn't imagine how they must of felt. I hate slings wont use them and really dislike them

If it's the type of sling I'm thinking of - I bought one off ebay, put my little girl in it and straight away thought "I really don't like the look of this", and never used it again. I use my Moby wrap or my harness carrier now.

I couldn't imagine going through something like this. It's heartbreaking.

So sad! :-( I can see how a child could easily suffocate in a wrap to be honest. When I first started using my moby I found I wasn't wrapping tightly enough and while it seemed fine to start with, my daughter would slide down as I walked. I got the hang of how tight to do it and then it wasn't a problem, but I could see how it could easily go wrong!

The Daily Fail strikes again with it's poor reporting style. There's nothing wrong with raising awareness but there are no actual facts or advice in the article that help distinguish what actually happened and how to prevent it.

(I'm not having a go at the OP. I just REALLY hate this newspaper...)

Such a shame on the parents - I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling.

Is it just me or have they added to the article? There's a picture saying a bad way and good way of carrying baby, don't remember seeing that this morning.

They have added to it - I spent yesterday fuming about this because daily fail had posted another useless article with no useful advice in. Clearly someone has pointed this out to them

I agree with absolutely all of this!

It informs you of how to position the baby safely and correctly rather than giving out a 'DON'T EVER USE THEM' message. Even without that anything that highlights potential dangers to a child should be shared because there are clearly people who don't have all the information needed to keep their child safe. It clearly states that the cause of death was directly linked to the sling so all mothers should be aware and not just think that you plonk them in a sling and off you go. How that can possibly be turned into something negative makes no sense to me when it could potentially save a baby's life. I'd rather a few people got pissed off because they see it as 'scaremongering' than have to read about another infant dying in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->