• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby died in Mums sling

It informs you of how to position the baby safely and correctly rather than giving out a 'DON'T EVER USE THEM' message. Even without that anything that highlights potential dangers to a child should be shared because there are clearly people who don't have all the information needed to keep their child safe. It clearly states that the cause of death was directly linked to the sling so all mothers should be aware and not just think that you plonk them in a sling and off you go. How that can possibly be turned into something negative makes no sense to me when it could potentially save a baby's life. I'd rather a few people got pissed off because they see it as 'scaremongering' than have to read about another infant dying in one.

The original article had none of that information.

All slings come with instructions and videos/tutorials are very easy to find/

Even without that anything that highlights potential dangers to a child should be shared because there are clearly people who don't have all the information needed to keep their child safe. .

:thumbup:

Do you not think an article like this would encourage people to seek out those tutorials? I think we need to look at the bigger picture, it could save a life and it's as simple as that.

Even without that anything that highlights potential dangers to a child should be shared because there are clearly people who don't have all the information needed to keep their child safe. .

:thumbup:

Do you not think an article like this would encourage people to seek out those tutorials? I think we need to look at the bigger picture, it could save a life and it's as simple as that.

I think the article scaremongers from all use of slings and wraps, it demotes it to a "trendy parenting trick" celebrities do. It's not trying to get people to think about how they use a wrap, it's trying to attack a method of parenting. You only have to look at the comments to see what they like to stir up. If they cared about the portrayal of baby wearing they would have done a little bit more research, but a balanced article doesn't evoke discussions like this does it? That article makes baby wearers look shallow, selfish, it is not trying to raise awareness, it is being deliberately controversial. Pointing the finger, not saving lives.

I totally disagree. I don't think that keeping this information under wraps just so that parents can be blissfully unaware is wise at all. Infact it's actually dangerous. This article will have encouraged many to research this method, it will have put some people off and it will have led to many people deciding that it's definitely for them and they now have the information to do it safely. That is what all parents do when they have all the relevant information at their disposal and that's very important. We make our own minds up and have the right to change them, newspapers do not do that for us.

Also, if they didn't want to be informative they wouldn't have added the information later, they'd have just left it as it was. I normally dislike the daily mail but I don't see this in the same way as you at all. I don't really care how many people find this offensive or whatever, not because I'm nasty or unthoughtful, but because I don't think that's what is important in topics such as this. I will baby wear my second (if I ever have one) and will do so knowing that there are dangers if it is not done correctly. My child will be safer as a result.

Wraps/carriers come with the right information. People dont need the dailymail to pass on safety advice when they really know nothing about it.

This kind of article came up when R was a baby and all I got from people was "oh didnt you know those carriers are dangerous". I even got it this weekend from someone who read this article.

You get that about anything and everything though. :shrug: that's life.

They dont even know what kind of sling it is yet are throwing around "slings are dangerous"

'Co-sleeping is dangerous, bottle feeding is dangerous, c sections are dangerous, natural births are dangerous' etc etc. Everyone has an opinion. Some people categorically think that slings are dangerous (regardless of this article) and they're entitled to that belief. Just as you are yours. IF they choose to look no further that's down to them. It's really no big deal, just ignore and move on.

Ignorance is a big deal to me especially when that ignorance could well stop a new mum from using a baby carrier, carriers can be a absolute life line for some mum.

You could say the same about anything e.g. baby dies in car seat so let's slam car seats?

I would bet my life that wraps and carriers have actually SAVED lives by allowing babies to stay close to their parents while they get on with stuff, when they would otherwise be put down in a basket and left for a while. You won't hear the DM reporting about that though, will you? They choose which 'ignorance' to ignore based on their own warped sense of... well I won't call it 'right' because they're clearly not in that business.

And ignorance could potentially cause the deaths of children who are carried incorrectly. It works both ways. You're basically saying the same thing as me - that people need to be educated. You just don't seem to like the article because it highlights a potential issue. Even though it now expresses how to baby wear correctly. All information is good, everyone has the right to have access to it whether it's what people want to read or not. It really isn't slamming slings.

Most people who read it would have done so in the first 24 hours when actually it gave no safety information at all.

Its irresponsible lazy journalism to thrown half a article out and only give decent informative advice after the majority of people will have read it..

Its funny that the only names carrier on that article is this

Carrying babies in slings and baby carriers has grown in popularity in recent years, with celebrity devotees including Jools Oliver, pictured with her son Buddy Bear in a Baby Bjorn baby carrier, which is designed to ensure there is no possible risk of suffocation[/QUOTE

Where is the information on how carriers like that can be bad for babies hips?

In all honesty with things like co-sleeping, baby wearing etc (things with the potential to be dangerous if done incorrectly) I'd rather someone saw this and thought twice about it than just went for it. If you can't be bothered to look into it more than what you read in a newspaper I feel that is just as irresponsible and lazy. I think it's a good thing, I understand why you don't but I see the whole thing from a very different point of view.

Carrying babies in slings and baby carriers has grown in popularity in recent years, with celebrity devotees including Jools Oliver, pictured with her son Buddy Bear in a Baby Bjorn baby carrier, which is designed to ensure there is no possible risk of suffocation[/QUOTE

You're expecting too much from a newspaper article. They are not a how-to parenting guide.

In all honesty with things like co-sleeping, baby wearing etc (things with the potential to be dangerous if done incorrectly) I'd rather someone saw this and thought twice about it than just went for it. If you can't be bothered to look into it more than what you read in a newspaper I feel that is just as irresponsible and lazy. I think it's a good thing, I understand why you don't but I see the whole thing from a very different point of view.

:wacko: Cots, car seats, bouncy chairs, bottles, formula, hat! can be dangerous if not used correctly.

You're expecting too much from a newspaper article. They are not a how-to parenting guide.

And yet they love to slam parenting techniques to stir up mummy wars in order to get traffic, interpret the impact of the article how you will but don't be naive to their intentions.

If a parent put their baby in a carseat, didnt strap them in and something bad happened i highly doubt the car seat would be blamed.

The carrier isnt at fault here the use of it is but the article just suggests slings are a risk.

I'm not naive to it but clearly this woman wasn't aware of how to do this safely, despite all the advice Kala mentioned previously, which means there will be other parents like her. This then means that there could be more babies at risk, this article highlights that. If it puts people off then that's unfortunate but as I said previously anyone who is unaware of how to do something safely shouldn't be doing it. I'd rather that than have another baby die.
I love everything AP, I wish I'd known more about it when my LO was born because I'd have done so many things differently but I wouldn't have done so ignorantly.

I support articles like this.

Kala - you're absolutely right that all those things could be dangerous.

I'm not naive to it but clearly this woman wasn't aware of how to do this safely, despite all the advice Kala mentioned previously, which means there will be other parents like her. This then means that there could be more babies at risk, this article highlights that. If it puts people off then that's unfortunate but as I said previously anyone who is unaware of how to do something safely shouldn't be doing it. I'd rather that than have another baby die.
I love everything AP, I wish I'd known more about it when my LO was born because I'd have done so many things differently but I wouldn't have done so ignorantly.

I support articles like this.

Kala - you're absolutely right that all those things could be dangerous.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think ignorance and incorrect information is the moral way of "educating".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->