• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby died in Mums sling

The carrier isnt at fault here the use of it is but the article just suggests slings are a risk.

Correct. If someone looks no further than a newspaper article to determine how they wish to parent then that's their problem. It's ignorant but that's exactly why it doesn't bother me that people will change their minds as a result of this. Responsible parents will either be informed already or will do their own research, those that don't are those that are possibly making mistakes like this and putting their children at risk.

I'm not naive to it but clearly this woman wasn't aware of how to do this safely, despite all the advice Kala mentioned previously, which means there will be other parents like her. This then means that there could be more babies at risk, this article highlights that. If it puts people off then that's unfortunate but as I said previously anyone who is unaware of how to do something safely shouldn't be doing it. I'd rather that than have another baby die.
I love everything AP, I wish I'd known more about it when my LO was born because I'd have done so many things differently but I wouldn't have done so ignorantly.

I support articles like this.

Kala - you're absolutely right that all those things could be dangerous.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think ignorance and incorrect information is the moral way of "educating".

It's not incorrect information, it's just not balanced. Finding out more is up to the parents.

New vulnerable parents who have done their research dont need their mums/mil/strangers reading half assed articles and telling them they are putting their children at risk.

The world would be a strange place if mums/mil/strangers didn't 'know better'.

I'm not naive to it but clearly this woman wasn't aware of how to do this safely, despite all the advice Kala mentioned previously, which means there will be other parents like her. This then means that there could be more babies at risk, this article highlights that. If it puts people off then that's unfortunate but as I said previously anyone who is unaware of how to do something safely shouldn't be doing it. I'd rather that than have another baby die.
I love everything AP, I wish I'd known more about it when my LO was born because I'd have done so many things differently but I wouldn't have done so ignorantly.

I support articles like this.

Kala - you're absolutely right that all those things could be dangerous.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think ignorance and incorrect information is the moral way of "educating".

It's not incorrect information, it's just not balanced. Finding out more is up to the parents.

It is incorrect information, they used a photo of a wrap and said "one like this" that wasn't the sling the baby died in, I know they couldn't disclose the sling (I'm guessing due to protection from legal action from the manufacturer) but they didn't need to mislead the reader into thinking it was one like in the picture, especially when they knew it most definitely wasn't, it's not even a case of speculation (as I say this story was reported earlier on in the year by local press when the couple wasn't identified and it was disclosed it was a bag sling the DM would have known this but couldn't or wouldn't disclose, these are not recommend by baby wearers, practitioners etc) they deliberately mislead the reader, this enables them to attack a parenting style, one that celebrities use to add to the shock value, instead of making this about either misuse or the exact sling. That was misinformation.

The risks aren't just specific to one sling so, again :haha:, I disagree in terms of making sure people are aware. I still don't see it as an attack.

Actually, going back to the article, I don't see where it says it was like anything.

It has clearly written 'The type of sling used by the Matthews family was not identified'

Actually, going back to the article, I don't see where it says it was like anything.

It has clearly written 'The type of sling used by the Matthews family was not identified'

It was identified when reported in local press when the incident actually occurred (it happened not far from me). But I can't find evidence of it online now so I'm going to assume manufacturer cover up! I know because it was the first time I had heard of bag slings.

This sling is not safe, it dramatically increases (and creates) risks, yes baby wearing should be done safely, but this story is not a fair way of raising awareness, so it's not about all slings having risks.

It was written under the description of the photograph.

Oh shock I've just looked at the article again and the picture and description is gone, it's good to see the DM can see when they're wrong sometimes (or have pressure from the right people).

If there was a photo of an unrelated carrier (and you weren't just seeing things ;)) the safety message would've been the same but I would agree that, that particular one should not have been captioned that way. Other than that :thumbup:

If there was a photo of an unrelated carrier (and you weren't just seeing things ;)) the safety message would've been the same but I would agree that, that particular one should not have been captioned that way. Other than that :thumbup:

Yeah they've changed the photo, where the picture of the mum is now (god bless her) was a picture of a baby in a wrap (not sure what kind I'm really not all that clued into it all lol, I don't AP I just have an ergo for ease lol) and underneath it said a sling "similar to this" or something along those lines.

God how many times can I use the word 'that' in 2 sentences :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->