Baby hates car seat!!

wish4baby

Reaction score
My little girl is 5 months old. Up until recently, she was ok in the car seat...she didn't go straight to sleep like my other kids, but it wasn't too bad.

Now (like the last month or 6 weeks) it is an absolute nightmare. She screams constantly. Nothing helps except me pulling over & getting her out. My older kids try to play with her, we've tried giving her a bottle of pumped milk (she won't take a bottle or pacifier though), toys, music, windows down, her being sleepy, her being happy, nothing seems to help!
I cool the car down before putting her in, and her seat seems comfy enough

I can't really do anything, even if I pull over, eventually I have to out her back in :( she screams until she is hoarse and all sweaty but nothing is wrong! I am careful to feed her, change her & make sure she is as comfortable as possible, but it makes little (or no) difference.

We are very an attachment-parenting style family, and it is killing me to hear her so upset!!! She has never cried without me or her dad going immediately to her & comforting her (same with my older kids)

We drive to soccer and swim practices every evening, about 20 min there and 20 back...I dread it...any helpful ideas? Anyone else dealing with this?

Am I damaging her by letting her cry (scream!) in the car, every evening?!
it's so sad because she cries in a way that sounds like, maamaamaamaamaa, over and over...just seems like there's nothing I can do about it, besides stay home all the time. Honestly, I think I'd do it if it weren't for my older kids! We don't live in a community / environment where we could walk anywhere outside of our little neighborhood, but even that is unpleasant b/c of the heat!

My poor baby!

My DD did this. I bought a different seat and the first time we used it she slept 5 hours straight while I ran errands lol. Find a store with a good return policy and give it a shot! Worked for us!!!

I was afraid of that!!
At least her current one is an infant carrier eat, I think I will just buy a convertible seat and put it rear facing. I hope this helps.
Thanks for your input :)

Everyone I know who has had this problem has solved it by switching to a convertible seat (still rear-facing). I think they just start to get cramped and don't like not being able to see what is going on. Good luck!

My LO hates the car seat and has done from birth. He's getting better now and doesn't cry EVERY trip. Are you giving her anything to play with? DS2 is muh happier when he has something to fiddle with back there. But sometimes there's just nothing we can do. And yes it is horrible... But there's no way it's damaging. I honestly wouldn't worry about that. It's very uncomfortable to hear though!!

my baby has always hated it but eventually falls asleep in it as long as we're always moving! once the car stops, lord help you!

Aw you're not damaging her by letting her cry (and you've got to get where you're going!) but I agree with others - perhaps a new seat. DD hates the angle her chair sits in my vehicle, but when we put the same seat in DHs vehicle - she's fine! It lays more flush against the seat so she isn't quite as tilted and the angle suits her better.

Thanks y'all..we are going to look at new car seats tomorrow...hopefully that helps!

Yes, we have tried giving her all kinds of toys but they usually don't help for long (sometimes not at all!)
So, she decided she wanted her older sisters empty water bottle and that helped for the longest stretch yet (like 3 or 4 car rides!). She loved how it sounded when she crushed it and her sister played with her and the water bottle. Then she lost interest & now gets ticked if you offer her one while she's screaming - she will throw it and scream harder.
Today though, we brought out the stroller fan because my older kids are in a soccer tournament & I knew we'd need it while watching the games. She wanted to get her hands on that thing all day. I finally let her have it on the way home (it has foam blades and her siblings kept a close watch) and she happily munched down on it the whole way - 20 min. Hopefully it'll help until we install the new seat lol
I think my baby girl will be high maintenance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->