Baby having what you have (food)

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
HV said to mash up what we have for Caitlin...

Does anyone else do this?

What can't I give her that we have?

Like...

Lasanagh: I make it using dolmio jar white sauce & make up my own bol (toms, oxo, herbs etc)

Chicken supreme: cambells soups peppers mushrooms onions & rice

Spag bol: tin toms herbs etc

Sausage casserole: packet mixes then sausages veg etc

Packet mixes ok?
Herbs ok?

What about the fact that some meals are cooked with a bit of oil?

Can she suck on chips? Deep fry or oven?

I add salt to food for taste as most of us probably do... so that can't be right?

Cheese on say lasanagh or spag bol.... is that ok?

Gravy made fom granules - Im assuming NOT ok?

LOADS of questiosn & wonders :blush: sorry! BUtif anyone can give me direction I'd be ever so greatful :rofl:

Scrambled egg ok? Any ideas what I can put in? Bacon? Cheese?

Meats shes allowed or not if shorter ...

OK I'LL STOP haha!!!

I stopped putting salt in our food and - I know this sound terrible - used to keep all the left overs and used to put it in the blender and as he got older made it chunkier untill he was eating the same as us - I used to freeze it in ice cube trays for him and defrost how ever many Ice cude I needed. Harvey had *everything* if it was packet/jar sauces I'd just make sure they didn't have too much salt in them! Hope this helps x

lol! I feel abit confused too! I know you def cant give them our gravy no matter how much you water it down, must be baby gravy. Also i read they couldnt have eggs? I also wondered bout the chippies!! lol!
xxx

Baby gravy? Hmmm I haven't seen any but Ive not looked I guess lol That doesn't sound bad btw its what Mums do and its what I want to do where possible :D

Eggs - Im pretty sure after 6 months they can but could be wrnog which is why I'm asking :lol:

Yes I think it is 6 months that they can have eggs - but you have to make sure they are propperly cooked. obviously!

I never realised you couldn't give them gravy - I always did!

Chips - we used to bite the hard bit of the ends of chips and then give them to them.

OK she can't have eggs LOL

Read some info of 12 months+ others say yolk only from 8 months

1 down :rofl:

ooooo no 2 down (gravy)

roughly 1 year for eggs i think?? cany remember :dohh:

no to granulated gravy and the salt thing i make it as normal take thiers out then add salt for us

i like this site .. https://www.askbaby.com/sample-eating-plans.htm

its given me loads of ideas and brought back some of my memory from the past wen boys were babies lol

Some people may not agree with me, but this is what we've always done and I believe to be right.

Bethanie has had our meals for a good while now. When she was 6 months, she had mainly jars but I would do her the odd meal with us. Bethanie eats all meals with us now and I am a little less careful because shes over a year.. for example, they can have a little salt added to food etc.

Id be wary using sauces like dolmio and oxo/stock cubes because they are usually high in salt, same goes for gravy. You can buy little baby stock sachets from Sainsburys, Asda and maybe Boots (think they're Heinz ones). Or if she has gravy, only give her a tad.

Try to get low salt tinned food (soups, tin tomatoes, baked beans, tuna in spring water rather than brine..)

Packet mixes - I wouldn't personally
Herbs are fine and a great substitute for salt

Oil is fine, just don't add loads if you can help it? I don't know about you, but I don't use a lot anyway.. same goes for salt.

Odd chip is fine lol - you can also chop sweet potatoes/normal ones and make healthier and probably tastier potato wedges.

Cheese is fine, but fairly high in salt I believe.. so limit it a little at this stage.

Scrambled egg is fine, but make sure all eggs are well cooked. Don't think they can have runny eggs until 12 months+? yea stick in some bacon/ cheese and black pepper is good.

Don't get the meat bit!? lol

That old saying, everything in moderation. Use your head and you'll be fine. It's quite a worrying time, I still worry now lol.

Anymore questions just ask.

I've bought baby gravy from Asda and also Boots before. They also do 3 cheese sauce, tomato and herb type sauce.

Just noticed Tilly has posted most of what I was about to write..

But meats are alright as soon as LO is ok eating fruits/veg etc which I know Caitlin is from what you've written before. x

Well see thats it theres lots of do and dont do things yet HV is saying 'cook what you have' theres only so much I can change like Im about to do lasanagh and although I make up with tin toms I do use the white sauce from a jar so I can seperate most of it and do a small dish for Caitlin taking out oxo cube & herbs (assuming at the mo herbs are a no no?)

Certain dishes we usue flavour packets and add to like sausage casserole I'd have though these were ok but wasn't sure because your right salt contents ...which is something I admit to never paying any attention to before.

I've bought baby gravy from Asda and also Boots before. They also do 3 cheese sauce, tomato and herb type sauce.

Just noticed Tilly has posted most of what I was about to write..

But meats are alright as soon as LO is ok eating fruits/veg etc which I know Caitlin is from what you've written before. x
Thanks I''ll look in boots for sauces or even online when I get chance later.

There is only so much you can seperate though isn't there.

Do you do lasanagh or alike - have you any recipe tips Lauren?

She has fruit every day at the moment banana strips or puree but would like to adventure out little

:D

meat: mince, beef, chicken, turkey, pork

eggs: grey area but I'm giving eggs as she hasnt had any reaction; I did give it very slowly.

I give stews etc and do Katies mostly seperately if I'm using gravy, oxo cubes etc because I'm terrified of the salt thing.

Give cheese as an alternative to meat, great on veggies.

Oil ok for cooking and use real butter where possible. Babies need lots of fat to grow.

I give versions of what we eat and yes there are gravies and sauces too for babies...heinz do them but they are like golddust to find :( but I have found them online in Asda, they have a pasta sauce and annabel Karmel do little pasta shapes for babies.

The odd chip wont hurt her but a healthy alternative (for us all) would be to chip potatoes and put some olive oil on to them and do them in the oven, same with other veggies and great finger foods :)

It's hard at first Wobbles, I kept going to add salt at first. Maybe if you take her stuff out before you add any seasoning and make her a little home made white sauce or something?

Whats wrong with herbs??

I don't cook with packet mixes at all and to be honest, usually find it to taste better without (for bolognese I use herbs, tomatoes and some nice veg and it's great). Maybe you can do this? or if you really like the packet mixes, make her mini versions. It can be annoying!! The other day I made beef stew, so I did hers in a seperate pan with just water, veg and black pepper - it didn't taste much different from ours.

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/vegetarian/vegetarian_lasagne ??

Agreed with what the others said.

If you're going to give her what you're having, I'd keep a pan or something separate for Caitlin's and then put in whatever you're cooking, remembering to leave out what she can't have. Then you can cook all your food together and then just puree/mash hers at the end. x

Yer I make my own sauce Tilly but not the sausage casserole - I use toms soups etc but can never be bothered with the white sauce from scratch when doing lasanagh as I cocked up one lol! Have them in for convenience sometimes too.

Will come back read answers properly in bit or dinner be burnt haha

we're having stew and dumplings :D Katie is having stew and potatoes :D

What do you put in your stew? what then do you put in after you hve seperated her portion if anything? Homemade stew again I use stocks salt herbs

beef, carrots, onions and swede and use the water as stock

I stopped putting salt in our food and - I know this sound terrible - used to keep all the left overs and used to put it in the blender and as he got older made it chunkier untill he was eating the same as us - I used to freeze it in ice cube trays for him and defrost how ever many Ice cude I needed. Harvey had *everything* if it was packet/jar sauces I'd just make sure they didn't have too much salt in them! Hope this helps x

That's exactly what my mum did for us, and what I was planning to do. Think salt's the main concern, especially if you're using packets of stuff and ready-made sauces etc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->